Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
So I was just watching this video.

This country will literally kill/murder you for relatively minor things (drugs).

To put it into perspective, China executes 4,000 people a year (fast forward to 1:22 in the vid) while the USA only executes 46 a year .

Under communism, people have always been expendable. They're so easily replaced, especially in China, where there are over a billion of them.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:57 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think China's capital punishment system is to be commended.

None of this b.s. like in the United States where prisoners sentenced to death can wait on death row for decades filing appeals and all sorts of other legal shenanigans.

I also like that no segment of society is spared. Even business leaders and politicians are fair game. Unlike, again, the U.S. where these types get slaps on the wrist and do time in minimum security farm camps.
Has it ever occurred to you that there might be prisoners who are wrongly executed? The more corrupt the legal system is, the higher the chances of torture, unjust interrogation, and scapegoats are, and the Chinese legal system fits the word 'corrupt' like a pair of perfectly crafted gloves. Even America, a country which is quite advanced legally speaking, has had quite a few cases of wrongly execution, do you really think China should be commended for their capital punishment system? One doesn't have to have gone through law school to grasp such basic common sense.

The belief of strict penalty is a common myth amongst countries which have't had enough democratic practice such as China, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia etc. It's somehow understandable cause people here are used to buying everything the authorities feed them. However, it is quite sad to see one of the oldest and most successful democracies to worship it as if it were a religion.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
A life sentence without the the possibility of parole is appropriate for some crimes in my opinion. There are many kinks in the current American criminal justice system.

Executing someone does not bring a loved one back or diminish the pain as a result of families loss sadly. (there isn't anything that can ever make the family whole again).
Sure, not whole again. But an execution certainly brings closure and satisfaction. The argument that execution does not bring back the dead is vacuous. The justice system isn't meant to be a supernatural force designed to bring back the dead. It is supposed to be a balance designed to mete out justice and restore order in society. For everything, there's a price, and a crime must be punished as a price. Justice, once meted out, brings closure and allows the living a chance to move on.

I absolutely hate that argument about execution not able to bring back the dead...no one in their right mind expects the justice system to "bring back the dead."

Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Sure, not whole again. But an execution certainly brings closure and satisfaction. The argument that execution does not bring back the dead is vacuous. The justice system isn't meant to be a supernatural force designed to bring back the dead. It is supposed to be a balance designed to mete out justice and restore order in society. For everything, there's a price, and a crime must be punished as a price. Justice, once meted out, brings closure and allows the living a chance to move on.

I absolutely hate that argument about execution not able to bring back the dead...no one in their right mind expects the justice system to "bring back the dead."

1. What are you basing this conclusion on? I've watched multiple documentaries of inmates on deathrow and interviews of the victims family members present during executions the general emotional reaction is that it left them feeling fairly empty perhaps closure that the execution was completed in some cases but satisfaction I would say not in most cases.

2. How exactly does the death penalty do that? The perpetrator is already apprended executing him will not change what has occurred or prevent others from committing crimes.

3. A criminal system focused on being punitive rather than rehabilitation for the most part is what we have in the USA. The system is a failure just by looking at the recidivism rates one would come to that conclusion. Making it even more punitive overall would be stupid.

4. Like I stated a life sentence without the possibility of parole in my opinion is appropriate for some crimes. However the focus should be on early intervention and finding a process of rehab that actually works and reintegrating most individuals back in society.

5. But I should state that I consider all human life to have unconditional worth.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM

well, you can spend your own tax money to rehab criminals. The Chinese apparently disagree with you.

I think the Chinese have their priorities right. Instead of spending money on feeding and "rehabbing" criminals, they use their money on schools, infrastructures and others more worthy causes.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
well, you can spend your own tax money to rehab criminals. The Chinese apparently disagree with you.

I think the Chinese have their priorities right. Instead of spending money on feeding and "rehabbing" criminals, they use their money on schools, infrastructures and others more worthy causes.
No problem just found the conversation interesting. Don't Chinese convicts get released after completing their sentences depending on the crime. Is that information available? Any reliable stats available on recidivism rates in China or that typical sensences for given crimes?

Old 03-11-2016, 02:42 AM

919 posts, read 839,479 times
Quote:

I remember many teachers in China were paid less than the amount they were supposed to be. When did CCP change its policy?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:10 AM

11 posts, read 9,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I wish the US would adopt the same method and execute criminals as quickly and efficiently as the Chinese, this is just being practical , why waste money keeping guilty people alive? the USA keeps too many people in prisons that should have been executed a long time ago

China is just being practical, it's much more cost effective and efficient
Criminals are human, life pushed them into the darkness. I think that should give them the opportunity, if recidivism is new so dealt with severely.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messnct View Post
Criminals are human, life pushed them into the darkness. I think that should give them the opportunity, if recidivism is new so dealt with severely.
Not really. The harden criminals and the serial criminals are not doing bad things because they are "pushed" into them. Give me a break. There are dangerous people out there, and if society has limited resources, it cannot afford to try to "fix" all the hopeless cases. And in the mean time, innocent people suffer when these cases "relapse" thanks to your compassion and endless taxes to pay for their rehabilitation. Stop being so naive....

Old 03-20-2016, 02:42 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times
The Chinese are big on maintain societal order. If an individual breaks these cultural norms (like imports drugs, murders someone, or is convicted of public graft they are dealt with very harshly - often executed. You can also be severely punished for things that are legal in the USA - like advocating for banned political or religious groups or are critical of the Communist party.

You might not agree with this approach but you can't argue with the success of their model. China has 1/6 of the world's population and has managed to maintain relative peace and prosperity for the majority of it's citizens for the last 25 or so years.

I suggest critics should go visit there before you post your derisive screed here on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia