Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
'Neutral'? Haha. What is 'neutral'? The prestige American accent? The Filipino accent is a strong ESL accent like any other. And why would you want to sound American if you aren't?
I am with you on this !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 PM

109 posts, read 136,934 times
Quote:
'Neutral'? Haha. What is 'neutral'? The prestige American accent? The Filipino accent is a strong ESL accent like any other. And why would you want to sound American if you aren't?
I believe besides from cheaper labor costs, Multinational specifically American companies know better why they prefer PH to be their BPO hubs. One for sure English speaking workforce and English language with neutral accent...else they would want to put up their BPO in SG, MLY or GUAM or KENYA or even INDIA...

Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
Quote:

Because it's part of the job (esp if you work in call center). You have to learn the accent, idioms and culture.

Neutral is something that is widely understood. American slang, British Queen's English and even Singlish aren't consider neutral. You wouldn't know as a Malaysian because you are use to your accent and you perceived it as the normal accent.

PH is HOME of call centers businesses from AU, NZ. UK and USA. There are countries that might be cheaper but they chose PH simply because Pinoys has a neutral accent. The statistic clearly shows it.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Because it's part of the job (esp if you work in call center). You have to learn the accent, idioms and culture.

Neutral is something that is widely understood. American slang, British Queen's English and even Singlish aren't consider neutral. You wouldn't know as a Malaysian because you are use to your accent and you perceived it as the normal accent.

PH is HOME of call centers businesses from AU, NZ. UK and USA. There are countries that might be cheaper but they chose PH simply because Pinoys has a neutral accent. The statistic clearly shows it.
Wow a new member who is based in Singapore. Location is in Singapore.

Someone to join me ...

Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
It is the learning that counts not the accent. Besides Pinoy accent is neutral unlike Singapore and Malaysia.

If i may add, most of english schools in PH do have good accent trainors. They can mimic American and British accent effortlessly!
the accent is not neutral. It's a Filipino English. They enunciate sounds that Americans don't. For example, if they say "little" they actually pronounce the TT. I think this is a feature of British English. They also pronounce the R's at the end of syllables, a feature of American English. So Filipino English has features from both, and these features make it easier to understand. Learning English shouldn't be all about trying to sound like a native speaker. As long as you're clearly understood, that's what matters. And I think Filipino English (when spoken properly) is very clear

Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
the accent is not neutral. It's a Filipino English. They enunciate sounds that Americans don't. For example, if they say "little" they actually pronounce the TT. I think this is a feature of British English. They also pronounce the R's at the end of syllables, a feature of American English. So Filipino English has features from both, and these features make it easier to understand. Learning English shouldn't be all about trying to sound like a native speaker. As long as you're clearly understood, that's what matters. And I think Filipino English (when spoken properly) is very clear

I equate neutral as "easily gets understood". So if Filipinos speaks english clearly, then it has to be neutral.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:

Er, what? RP is not easily understood? American slang? A strong pinoy accent can be hard to understand too, if one is not familiar with it. It all depends on what you're familiar with. There is no standard accent of English, there are many accents. Many Americans would struggle to understand many accents from the UK.

No, PH just has more land and is cheaper.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
I equate neutral as "easily gets understood". So if Filipinos speaks english clearly, then it has to be neutral.
Maybe if you're used to it. I find it jarringly rhotic, psuedo-American, and nowhere near 'neutral.'

Old 05-29-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Er, what? RP is not easily understood? American slang? A strong pinoy accent can be hard to understand too, if one is not familiar with it. It all depends on what you're familiar with. There is no standard accent of English, there are many accents. Many Americans would struggle to understand many accents from the UK.

No, PH just has more land and is cheaper.
Then might as well for BPO companies to transfer to China, Indonesia or Vietnam, if I follow your logic

Old 05-29-2014, 04:33 AM

109 posts, read 136,934 times
i believe bpo and english call centre industry of mostly US and australian companies are big in philippines...their stats show the industry is almost 9% of their gdp and english call centre industry overtook india last year.

well their english must be within the standard of these multinational companies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia