Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Because it's part of the job (esp if you work in call center). You have to learn the accent, idioms and culture.

Neutral is something that is widely understood. American slang, British Queen's English and even Singlish aren't consider neutral. You wouldn't know as a Malaysian because you are use to your accent and you perceived it as the normal accent.

PH is HOME of call centers businesses from AU, NZ. UK and USA. There are countries that might be cheaper but they chose PH simply because Pinoys has a neutral accent. The statistic clearly shows it.
My dad is Malaysian. I have an Australian accent, which is far more 'neutral' and 'understandable' than a Filipino one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Then might as well for BPO companies to transfer to China, Indonesia or Vietnam, if I follow your logic
What's BPO? Yeah many foreign companies are moving there. If you haven't noticed Vietnam is following China's lead, and is streaking ahead of the PH.

I'm sorry, but even Vietnam or even Cambodia doesn't have this kind of poverty:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...w=1310&bih=610

First fix the massive income gap. You talk about the small minority of rich Filipinos but ignore the masses in poverty.

Singapore has it's issues, but at least it's people aren't living like this.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
BPO is a business process outsourcing. Call center BPO is a developed industry in PH employing close to a million of Filipinos with an annual revenue of $13B. I don't think clients from US, UK or AU will consider China or Vietnam despite of their cheaper salary for call center BPO. Heck even a cheaper India with good command of english population is now being outranked by PH. Salary rate as what you are claiming is not (or could be least) determining factor.

This is an old comparison between IN and PH for BPO 2 years ago.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Er, what? RP is not easily understood? American slang? A strong pinoy accent can be hard to understand too, if one is not familiar with it. It all depends on what you're familiar with. There is no standard accent of English, there are many accents. Many Americans would struggle to understand many accents from the UK.

No, PH just has more land and is cheaper.
PH does not have more land. It is cheaper though. When talking about the outsourcing industry, the main comparison has always been India and the Philippines because both are cheap sources of English-speaking workforce. I have toured around IT companies in both. In India, it is very common to provide accent neutralization classes, the reason is because there are many in India with heavy accents that Americans find hard to understand. The main objective there is to be understood, it is difficult to mask the accent to make it sound American. In the Philippines, if the person is already speaking grammatically correct English, more often, they can already be easily understood by Americans. So there are classes for call center agents to make the accent more American, to understand more American slang so that the customer will not be able to tell right away that the agent is in the Philippines. There are actually some Filipinos who successfully can sound like US-born Asian Americans after sufficient training in these classes.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
PH does not have more land. It is cheaper though. When talking about the outsourcing industry, the main comparison has always been India and the Philippines because both are cheap sources of English-speaking workforce. I have toured around IT companies in both. In India, it is very common to provide accent neutralization classes, the reason is because there are many in India with heavy accents that Americans find hard to understand. The main objective there is to be understood, it is difficult to mask the accent to make it sound American. In the Philippines, if the person is already speaking grammatically correct English, more often, they can already be easily understood by Americans. So there are classes for call center agents to make the accent more American, to understand more American slang so that the customer will not be able to tell right away that the agent is in the Philippines. There are actually some Filipinos who successfully can sound like US-born Asian Americans after sufficient training in these classes.
Well I was talking about Singapore.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What's BPO? Yeah many foreign companies are moving there. If you haven't noticed Vietnam is following China's lead, and is streaking ahead of the PH.

I'm sorry, but even Vietnam or even Cambodia doesn't have this kind of poverty:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...w=1310&bih=610

First fix the massive income gap. You talk about the small minority of rich Filipinos but ignore the masses in poverty.

Singapore has it's issues, but at least it's people aren't living like this.
I did a google search of Cambodian slums and Vietnamese slums and the same types of images popped up. I'm not saying that all the images are actually from Cambodia or Vietnam though. The Philippines is more densely populated, so the slums look worse, but besides being more crowded, they're probably not any worse than the poor areas of Cambodia and Vietnam.

Here is a look into the Manila slums. @ around 12:40. They have a freakin computer shop. Thats why so many Filipinos are on the internet. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s9o_kb-gZg

and about English. Compare the lady at 12:40 to the lady at 8:30. One is extremely rich and the other is very poor, but they both speak good English. I actually think the slum lady is more understandable

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-29-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPEzQX1IW98

Most slum dwellers don't speak much English.

I didn't see anything like that in Vietnam.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
^ Angeles City is the hellhole of the Philippines. And people who search for opportunities there probably have very little or no education. Why would you expect them to be able to speak English?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Talk to a beggar in the Philippines, 95% chance that the beggar can understand/respond to you!

Besides Scottish, Australian/New Zealand english are some of the most difficult to understand. Many people will agree here!

English accents (from countries where english is not their primary language) which are easy to understand:
Russian English
Spanish English
Holland English
Italian English
Mexican English
Filipino English
Indian English
Indonesian English
Lat Am English

Neutral is when the words are easy to understand, not good for ears!

"R" must be pronouced with stress and should not be hidden!

"Four" must be pronounced as "fourr" not "foh". "Foh" can be mistakenly understood at "foe". "Foe" maybe good to your ears but you can be never be understood in some (if not the most) countries.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Spanish English and Indian English are more easy to understand than Australian? You've lost all credibility there. I and many others have had frustrating experiences with Indian call centres because of their pronunciation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia