Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times

Advertisements

I must say I am not familiar with Hong Kong and would like to hear from those who are familiar with it..

Where do you see Hong Kong in say 5 yrs time ? Will it have progresed significantly or do you see not much progress .

Do you see say Manila , Vietnam rising to be on par with Hong Kong ?

Or do you see Hong KoNg rising to the level of say Japan ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times
What metric(s) are you referring to? GDP, GDP/capita, business climate, political climate, social climate, party scene, etc...?

I could post an extremely blunt assessment of you based on your posts in this subforum; but you're a lady(supposedly), and I'm going to polite.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
no, Manila will never get there.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times
I am interested in the area of GDP. Global prominence , social climate in particular . I want to hear anything about HOng kong

If you don't want to comment fine.. I didn't ask for excessive comments about myself asking for opinions

Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 PM

109 posts, read 136,863 times
So what's your personal opinion on your post?

I think HK will be just HK...it's land size wont expand and will still be one of the densest city in the world.

Politically, it will see a lot more of the PRC's CCP grasp and influence on its policies. Given 5 years or more we can see more street protests...and probably, eventually be just like Shanghai under the CCP government.

As a financial centre, it will remain as the top financial capital of East Asia and SG will still be trailing behind HK on this regard.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 PM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
no, Manila will never get there.
it wont in 5yrs but give it more time and we'll see!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,309 times
With the emergence of Shanghai, Beijing/Tianjin and Singapore, being the financial, IT and logistic hubs, HK may lose its competitiveness in the future.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 PM

510 posts, read 609,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am interested in the area of GDP. Global prominence , social climate in particular . I want to hear anything about HOng kong

If you don't want to comment fine.. I didn't ask for excessive comments about myself asking for opinions

Hong Kong per capita GDP is already higher than Japan. Total GDP will, of course, never be as high since Japan has about 120,000,000 more people than Hong Kong

I think HK's prominence as a finance and trade center will continue due to low taxes, low regulations, and efficient government. It will likely continue to be a leader in the entertainment industry, but I see that falling a bit due to changing tech and the way we produce and consume entertainment. Unfortunately HK doesn't have any other industries of any prominence though.

Social climate will not improve until the climate in China improves. Many of HK's social problems are tied to China. On that front I don't think much will change in 5 years.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 PM

16 posts, read 25,251 times
It sounds like you are simply trying to get general opinions on Hong Kong as your question is not very clear.

Hong Kong is already an extremely developed city so I don't see a need for significant "progress" in the next 5 years.

If you've ever been to Tokyo, you will never think to yourself "this is what X Asian city will be like in the future". Tokyo is Tokyo. With its own history, distinct cultures and industries. The same goes for Hong Kong, though it might be easier to compare HK with other Chinese cities. Both of these metro areas are highly developed and will not see extreme growth (ie such as with emerging economies). I could see Hong Kong's significance continue to be bolstered by the tech areas around it (Shenzen, etc). But I'm not an economist.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 AM

164 posts, read 282,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Hong Kong per capita GDP is already higher than Japan. Total GDP will, of course, never be as high since Japan has about 120,000,000 more people than Hong Kong

I think HK's prominence as a finance and trade center will continue due to low taxes, low regulations, and efficient government. It will likely continue to be a leader in the entertainment industry, but I see that falling a bit due to changing tech and the way we produce and consume entertainment. Unfortunately HK doesn't have any other industries of any prominence though.

Social climate will not improve until the climate in China improves. Many of HK's social problems are tied to China. On that front I don't think much will change in 5 years.
The pathetic of Hong Kong is they are focusing on virtual economy and decline to make some change. They have no willingness to work on other industries rather than Real Estate, Finance, and Trade. They even reject China central government plan to build a high-speed rail to HK.

On the other hand, they have over 6 million people and many young adults cannot find a satisfied job (I mean satisfied job). They were forced to find jobs in Beijing/Shanghai/Taipei. Please do not forget that they impose working visa ban on Mainland citizens, but mainland China won't impose any visa ban on HK residents at all.

Also, they are certain interest groups are destabilizing/manipulating the situation before 2017 election. So, the 2017 election is very important for HK. If this election progress smoothly, HK maybe fine or regain development advantage for next 10 years, otherwise, it will very hard to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia