Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 AM

177 posts, read 268,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
What if someone "sells" a dream that is just made up? Is there some evil thing that will happen to such a person? What prevents people from lying and making money out of it?
Buying or selling a dream is not very common, unless it is a very exceptionally good dream, in which case the dreamer would want to keep it anyway.

I dreamt this year on January 1st about hundreds of rabbits in my parents' house, which is also associated with money. I told my friends and they wanted to buy it.
But since I had that dream I did get extra money out of nowhere, so I think it was a good thing I kept it.

But it's pretty common in Korean culture to discuss each other's dreams during regular chitchat to figure out the meaning, as you would discuss good food or celebrity gossip.
Nobody "makes up" dreams to sell it, you just don't.

Last edited by Tdiva; 05-31-2014 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Even those who observe traditional rites are simplifying it not too bothered about superstitions.. I believe it is happening in Korea too..
Traditional rites are simplifying perhaps but not dissapearing.
Ancestor worship is the norm in Korean culture and we prepare huge meals for their spirits on New Years for example as we think they will come and enjoy the food.
Although Korea has a huge Christian population, this ancestor worship lives on, side by side Christian practices.
Korean catholics hold ancestor worship (called "jae-sa) on important dates, and the Vatican first said it was forbidden, but they got so much resentment that they now allow it too.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Usually the traditions and superstitions won't really "bother" people,but it could get quite annoying if someone around you is too into it.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Traditional rites are simplifying perhaps but not dissapearing.
Ancestor worship is the norm in Korean culture and we prepare huge meals for their spirits on New Years for example as we think they will come and enjoy the food.
Although Korea has a huge Christian population, this ancestor worship lives on, side by side Christian practices.
Korean catholics hold ancestor worship (called "jae-sa) on important dates, and the Vatican first said it was forbidden, but they got so much resentment that they now allow it too.
Interesting, so even among Korean Protestants there's a lot of sycretism? I know belief in things like demon possession is strong among Christians in the Philippines, Malaysia, India, Indonesia.etc.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 AM

111 posts, read 339,757 times
In Brazil, we basically have a full spectrum of superstition. Superstitions are probably more common in rural areas and among more isolated tribes. Some of the practitioners of Candomblé and Quimbanda (two faiths which are practiced by a number of Afro-Brazilians) are also pretty superstitious. But in the cities, people here aren't as superstitious. Where I live, people don't seem to be that superstitious.

Here are some of our superstitions: Superstitions from Brazil

Not all of them are widely believed. I'm not really superstitious. As you can see, we have some derived from Europe and some that reflect Brazilian culture. Others could be derived from Africa due to our large black population.

(I forgot that this part of the forum was Asia.)

Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Indonesian in general are very superstitious, especially those in java, bali and toraja... Javanese and balinese believes in the magic of their old pagan gods looong before hinduism\buddhism era in indonesia, while the javanese are famed for cursing people, witch doctors and turning into animals the sundanese are well knwon for their enchantments and magical trinkets, Parts of borneo mainly by the dayaks practice loads of black magic and plying with spirits, the torajan are animist christians who plays a lot with the dead. Papua in a lot of sense are also very tribal and traditional but i do not know much about that part of the country.

If you step on Balinese sesajen (offering) on purpose or being disrespectful and offensivr in sacred places, an evil spirit called leak will follow you to your death, unless you go to balinese priest and ask for forgiveness. Same thing are believed (different spirits or guardian however) to happen if you are romnacing in beaches of Java or being disrespectful in places they consider sacred.

Last edited by Goshio22; 05-31-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
One thing I've never understood is the belief in astrology. My brother once recounted to me a conservation he had with two men in our "home" village in India. These guys were convinced that the position/movement of the "heavens" influenced their lives/events around them. My brother gave them something of a science lecture, but they thought he was full of ****. lol

Astrology, ghosts/spirits/jin/angels/demons, certain food having magical effects (ex. tiger blood), voodoo, UFOs ( I classify the belief in UFOs as a superstition), fortune telling, whatever this dream thing is in Korea, etc are all absolutely a bunch of rubbish. It's sort of excusable when people who don't have access to the proper information believe in this nonsense, but I know several seemingly educated individuals who buy into some of it.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
One thing I've never understood is the belief in astrology. My brother once recounted to me a conservation he had with two men in our "home" village in India. These guys were convinced that the position/movement of the "heavens" influenced their lives/events around them. My brother gave them something of a science lecture, but they thought he was full of ****. lol

Astrology, ghosts/spirits/jin/angels/demons, certain food having magical effects (ex. tiger blood), voodoo, UFOs ( I classify the belief in UFOs as a superstition), fortune telling, whatever this dream thing is in Korea, etc are all absolutely a bunch of rubbish. It's sort of excusable when people who don't have access to the proper information believe in this nonsense, but I know several seemingly educated individuals who buy into some of it.
Why is believing in UFOs superstition? Unlike ghosts, UFO's are at least within the realm of 'natural' instead of supernatural, although 'supernatural' might just be what we haven't discovered/understood yet.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
I love astrology lol.I mean I don't believe it,but it's just very fun.
I'm Virgo btw.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Lol.. it may be rubbis to an outsider, but it's part of cultural heritage and identity of distinct people.
With the same reasoning I could say that believing in an ancient Jewish dude who rose back to life or a guy who sat under a tree and found enlightenment is rubbish as well.

Last edited by Tdiva; 05-31-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia