Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,286 times

Advertisements

Was there for Lunar New Year. Great place its clean all around and i felt safe wherever I went. Cleanest subway i've been on compared to NYC/London/Paris. I would definitely live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 PM

109 posts, read 136,876 times
Here are my impressions about SG
- rich city, rich people (i mean lots of money to spend on anything...shopping, travel, rebates, housing, gadgets, etc)

- clean and green (bubble gums are not allowed, lots of budget for clean and green programs, cleaners in every housing blocks...but some hawker eating places must be checked on cleanliness)

- efficient government leadership (for the past 49 years...PAP transformed SG to a vibrant economy)

- majority of its population are Chinese

ill add others later ;-)

Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Most Singaporeans aren't rich and just getting by. Wondering if they can afford another car when they have to renew their COE. High cost of living. Grandma is down at the local food court picking up dirty dishes and wiping down tables.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Most Singaporeans aren't rich and just getting by. Wondering if they can afford another car when they have to renew their COE. High cost of living. Grandma is down at the local food court picking up dirty dishes and wiping down tables.
Honestly, I don't see the necessity of a car in Singapore. It's just a status symbol. Only a small minority of Singaporeans own a car.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Honestly, I don't see the necessity of a car in Singapore. It's just a status symbol. Only a small minority of Singaporeans own a car.
I won't say car ownership is high dun think more than 50% own cars but I guess I won't say it is a small minority either ..

Our PAP MP wannabe ever made the comment all Singaporeans own cars and received a lot of flaming from netizens

Old 06-16-2014, 09:12 PM

417 posts, read 444,843 times
I have to agree with you about the airport, and the subway is the cleanest I ever rode on. Coming from a frozen solid Pennsylvania, I absolutely loved the weather. The food was decent, but not nearly as good or fun as the street food in Bangkok, or even Kuala Lumpur.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 PM

109 posts, read 136,876 times
Quote:

A high COE cost is greatly because the government wants to encourage the people to use the public transport system (thus they are doing everything to make it more efficient and effective); and to decongest their roads...

I think with the retirement age of 62 (correct me if im wrong) makes them work and not stay home...but would love to see them away from too much work and just enjoy their lives...

Old 06-17-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I won't say car ownership is high dun think more than 50% own cars but I guess I won't say it is a small minority either ..

Our PAP MP wannabe ever made the comment all Singaporeans own cars and received a lot of flaming from netizens
I would say more like 10-15%, or 20% of households, at most. In Australia it's more like 80-90%.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
I'd say about 90% of my wife's family own cars and they aren't rich. Even out in the HDB estates you see a sizeable number of luxury cars, mostly BMW's and Mercedes vehicles.

Without a car you can get around but it can be a pain. Where we visit part of the year you have to walk to a bus stop, wait around and then ride to the nearest MRT station. A lot of the day it's standing room only on the MRT.

I would say short distance trips during the day by taxi are pretty reasonable. If we go to the local mall or go out to just buy groceries we'll often take a taxi.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'd say about 90% of my wife's family own cars and they aren't rich. Even out in the HDB estates you see a sizeable number of luxury cars, mostly BMW's and Mercedes vehicles.

Without a car you can get around but it can be a pain. Where we visit part of the year you have to walk to a bus stop, wait around and then ride to the nearest MRT station. A lot of the day it's standing room only on the MRT.

I would say short distance trips during the day by taxi are pretty reasonable. If we go to the local mall or go out to just buy groceries we'll often take a taxi.
'The per-capita car ownership rate in Singapore is 12 cars per 100 people (or 1 car per 8.25 people). This compares with the per-capita rate of 1 car per 2.09 people in Brunei.[1]'

Driving in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of my relatives have cars, some don't, but it's in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia