Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

Discrimination against Chinese Indonesians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this rather shocking...whoever was at fault or 'started it', 10,000 is a really high number. How come it's something you don't hear about? Say in comparison to the Indian mutiny?

Also the 1998 riots. I mean I understand why a lot of people targeted the Chinese (their wealth, perceived insularity.etc), but it was also a wholesale ethnic attack. Again, up to 1,000 murdered and nearly 500 sexually assaulted.

Many apparently left Indonesia as a result...I know there are quite a few in Australia.

I've heard the government has relaxed some discriminatory laws (e.g. learning Mandarin), and has tried to foster peace and harmony...I know many younger Indonesians of Chinese ancestry want to identify more with just being Indonesian, which is probably a good thing.

Is there still much discrimination against them? What about the IC discriminating against 'native' Javanese, Sumatrans?

How well do most young people get along now? Do the Chinese still overrepresent in the higher social positions?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM

109 posts, read 137,017 times
I think this was one of the reasons that Indonesian-Chinese to change their names to local Indonesian-sounding names...

Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
I think this was one of the reasons that Indonesian-Chinese to change their names to local Indonesian-sounding names...
Yes, that was under Sukarno in the 50s and 60s I think?

It's been suggested the Dutch were responsible for creating the division that exists to this day. Originally, their system allowed the Chinese to assume economic dominance, same as in Malaysia.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM

in Malaysia...the Malaysian-Chinese are not privileged as compared to Malays.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
in Malaysia...the Malaysian-Chinese are not privileged as compared to Malays.
For a long time they were economically better off...well even now, although the gap might be slightly closing. They controlled the economy, and largely built up the economic base of modern Malaysia. In fact Kuala Lumpur and other cities like Ipoh and Taiping were actually settlements founded by Chinese tin miners.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Discrimination against Chinese Indonesians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this rather shocking...whoever was at fault or 'started it', 10,000 is a really high number. How come it's something you don't hear about? Say in comparison to the Indian mutiny?

Also the 1998 riots. I mean I understand why a lot of people targeted the Chinese (their wealth, perceived insularity.etc), but it was also a wholesale ethnic attack. Again, up to 1,000 murdered and nearly 500 sexually assaulted.

Many apparently left Indonesia as a result...I know there are quite a few in Australia.

I've heard the government has relaxed some discriminatory laws (e.g. learning Mandarin), and has tried to foster peace and harmony...I know many younger Indonesians of Chinese ancestry want to identify more with just being Indonesian, which is probably a good thing.

Is there still much discrimination against them? What about the IC discriminating against 'native' Javanese, Sumatrans?

How well do most young people get along now? Do the Chinese still overrepresent in the higher social positions?
The 10,000 Chinese purge is commited by Dutch east indies government, in order to surpress the growing power of local Chinese. They were later relocated to the outer wall of Batavia to settle in Glodok and Tangerang.

Compared to the situation in Malaysia, the Chinese Indonesian are much better off than those in Malaysia. (Though many Chinese Malaysian are upset and pitied that their Indonesian counterpart who no longer practice Chinese culture because many felt they're suppressed, today majority of Indonesian Chinese didn't feel this way at all) Many of those who left in 1998 also found their way back home after the situation calmed down, while laws that is against Chinese practices has been lifted by Megawati and Habibie. However in Sharia Aceh there is still some racism and stereotyping againts the ethnic Chinese minority.

Despite the Chinese practices being banned in the past, the ethnic Chinese still practice their Chinese new year at home and when the law was lifted, it just simply comes out to the surface. Chinese school number grew, but usually not a lot ended up as good Chinese speaker.

In our IC (in this case KTP) there is no race written like in Malaysia, race is definitely out of the spot. Indonesian Chinese have as much as equal rights as the natives. Indonesian Chinese can raise into politics provided he have enough support, and not as Chinese representative like those in Malaysia. Many Indonesian Chinese found Malaysian society as too segregated.

Chinese used to be overpresented in higher social position including those native Indonesian who are in politic, while the rest are often stereotyped as poor, but economic reboost has resulted native Indonesian to become wealthier as well and these kinds of stereotyping have been almost forgotten.

Quote:
Yes they usually hid their surname in their Indonesian name, however there are quiet large number of them who reverted of the names to Chinese ones, although majority are already settled with their Indonesian name.

Last edited by Goshio22; 06-16-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 11:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
From what I know, the Javanese, who committed the persecution are largely confined to the Island of Java. All the bad things happened on the Island of Java also. The chinese there are significantly outnumbered on Java.

The big islands, like Sumatra, Borneo, dont have as much Javanese, and the chinese on those islands do not suffer much persecution simply because they are not terribly outnumbered.

Those islands are much bigger, less people, have more resources to exploit. Why dont all the Chinese on Java simply pack up and go to those islands. It makes no sense for them to stay on Java when they are despised.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For a long time they were economically better off...well even now, although the gap might be slightly closing. They controlled the economy, and largely built up the economic base of modern Malaysia. In fact Kuala Lumpur and other cities like Ipoh and Taiping were actually settlements founded by Chinese tin miners.

Would Chinese - Malaysians consider themselves Chinese first and Malaysians second? Same is true when they are outside of Malaysia? just wondering...

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
From what I know, the Javanese, who committed the persecution are largely confined to the Island of Java. All the bad things happened on the Island of Java also. The chinese there are significantly outnumbered on Java.

The big islands, like Sumatra, Borneo, dont have as much Javanese, and the chinese on those islands do not suffer much persecution simply because they are not terribly outnumbered.

Those islands are much bigger, less people, have more resources to exploit. Why dont all the Chinese on Java simply pack up and go to those islands. It makes no sense for them to stay on Java when they are despised.
Actually a lot of persecution happened in Sumatra, too, which is the most staunchly Islam of the islands, especially Aceh in the north.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Would Chinese - Malaysians consider themselves Chinese first and Malaysians second? Same is true when they are outside of Malaysia? just wondering...
I think it depends, some might, but I think for many both identities are equally important. Some would of course put Malaysia ahead of China. I think most now still have more loyalty to Malaysia than the PRC, not like say the Communist insurgency, when many didn't have citizenship (or before there was a Malaysia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia