Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:57 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times

Advertisements

Here is the lowdown. I am single, 37 years old and I am planning on spending about 8 days in Asia in March. Right now, I have narrowed it down to 2 places:

Hong Kong/Macau
Singapore/Malaysia/Batam(Indonesia)

I am more of a budget traveler, I usually stay in hostels or cheap hotels, don't care about shopping or spending money. I am mostly interested in good food, modern architecture, sites like Buddhist temples, etc and opportunities for good photos.

Please, let me know which one would be the best option and WHY. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM

313 posts, read 531,721 times
Why do a lot of questions have to specify how the person is single? You looking to pick up on a vacation? find the love of your life?

Anyway, they're both worthwhile but very different destinations. I'd say Hong Kong has more beautiful/spectacular scenery and a skyline, and more interesting modern architecture, while Singapore has more colonial architecture, food (at least IMO), and is more English-speaking. While both have Buddhist temples, people really worship money in both. HK has the Po Lin monastery and giant Buddha on Lamma island. Shopping is obviously a big focus in both.

Of course 'better' is subjective, but I'd have to say Hong Kong and Macau would probably fit your criteria more..

Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
If you are more of a budget traveler neither HK/Singapore will help that much, i wouldn't also say that Macau is cheap city. On the other hand Singapore is closer to Indonesia and Malaysia, both are half an hour away from one of the world's most expensive city and is much2 cheaper place. In terms of food China is very nice place to eat, but you can also get that in Singapore with Malays and Indian cuisine at the same time which also apply to Malaysia but cheaper, if you decided to get to Batam, you could even try Indonesian cuisine too.

Architecture wise, HK and Singapore is nice, Singapore has more character with colonial buildings while HK are mostly dense highrises. Malaysia, if you only get to Johor doesn't really offer that much, the town is really boring but its advisable to travel to KL for more modern architecture stuff. But if you are really into it, China wins hands down. Batam has loads of food, its originally Indonesian Malay territory now filled with migrants from all over Indonesia also with significant Chinese community, there is plenty of opportunity to try out Indonesia's wide varieties of gastronomy that varies with different islands. Although apart from the beach in nearby islands and food and Singaporean sex tourist roaming in the bars, Batam is architecturally boring because its a very new city with very little things. I would also advice getting to Tanjung Pinang from Batam on the next isle, they also have nice beach there with again plenty of food.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I mentioned I am single because I have no kids or wife to entertain, so a place that has action 24 hours a day would be fun.

I have found cheap places to stay in both places and I dont get what you say by both being expensive-food is way cheaper than here in both places.

Both metro systems are reasonably priced. I am not going to Disneyland, expensive shows or concerts, so I can easily do both on a budget.

Heck, I have done Sweden and Finland on a budget, so it cant be worse.

Based on the info you provided, I am leaning more towards Hong Kong/Macau.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I mentioned I am single because I have no kids or wife to entertain, so a place that has action 24 hours a day would be fun.

I have found cheap places to stay in both places and I dont get what you say by both being expensive-food is way cheaper than here in both places.

Both metro systems are reasonably priced. I am not going to Disneyland, expensive shows or concerts, so I can easily do both on a budget.

Heck, I have done Sweden and Finland on a budget, so it cant be worse.

Based on the info you provided, I am leaning more towards Hong Kong/Macau.
Singapore nightlife is alright i suppose but HK and Macau (overall China) offers much2 better, Batam's nightlife is very nice but Malaysia is rather dull.

Food in Singapore is expensive just to let you know, the place is very first world and HK is cheaper than Singapore but Kowloon is particularly much cheaper, well depends on where you go actually. Indonesia and Malaysia is much cheaper than both when it comes to food cost and everything else. Anyway the place you chose offers great gastronomic option so toss a coin!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 PM

24 posts, read 37,752 times
I would say HK. It is cheaper than Singapore from what I have experienced.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
HK by a large margin. Singapore is remarkably dull.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:32 AM

10 posts, read 20,378 times
If you are interested in Buddhist temples you should goto HK, Singapore & Malaysia is more muslim.
Cheap rooms are plenty in downtown HK, less so in Macau and Singapore.

I don't think food in all the places mentioned are expensive by developed world's standard. Avoid the area full of tourists, you will find cheaper and good food.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihavemanyprcgfss View Post
If you are interested in Buddhist temples you should goto HK, Singapore & Malaysia is more muslim.
Cheap rooms are plenty in downtown HK, less so in Macau and Singapore.

I don't think food in all the places mentioned are expensive by developed world's standard. Avoid the area full of tourists, you will find cheaper and good food.
There are plenty of Buddhist temples in Malaysia or Singapore although i suppose China is superior, Kek Loh si in Penang is awesome and large, Batam also have some Chinese temples but Indonesia's best temples sites would be in Java's Borobudur, sewu and plasoan not Batam. Both maybe Muslims dominant but Malaysia have significant Chinese population while Indonesia is historically Hindu-Buddhist, most of the Chinese are the buddhist today however.

In HK there are huge Buddha statue and quiet a lot of temples for people to visit, though not as impressive as in mainland, and if you go further into China you would be extremely satisfied with temples sight.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
HK by a large margin. Singapore is remarkably dull.
THIS!
Although both HK and Singapore are really expensive. If you like modern architecture and Buddhist temples, I would recommend Taiwan or Bangkok instead. Or even China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia