Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:31 PM

156 posts, read 287,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Filipino english does have single pronounciation of "A" as "ah". Even Singaporeans don't pronounce it correctly etiher.

I would put more weight on grammar pronounciation. Singlish seem to lack both
I'm not disputing the fact that Singaporeans mispronounce many English words and place their tonal emphasis on all the wrong syllables. This is not a contest to see people of which Asian country enunciate their words better. I'm all for the point that Singaporeans are not the best when it comes to pronunciation.

I'm just questioning the kind of accent foreigners are going to pick up in the philippines if they were to learn English over there. Grammar and pronunciation are not mutually exclusive in order to claim a proper command of any language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:43 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,055 times
^Ofcourse Filipino accent, what else can it be? But the lesson in most English classes is based on American English.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Unfortunately, many Singaporeans would beg to differ. They uphold Singlish like a badge of honour and they defend it as though the country's identity would shatter into pieces without it.

People I have come across who insist on speaking in Singlish are usually those who feel extremely insecure about themselves. They are enamoured by how languages (for instance, French or Italian) can really bring out a country's identity and that's how these people misplace their pride. It's a case of "yeah, we have our unique sense of identity that's only found here!". Instead of brushing up on their brand of English, they fall back on something they have comfortably used since they were young. Nobody bothered to correct them, and those who did were promptly chastised for being uppity.

By golly, there was even a female Singaporean author who published a book on the 'marvels' of Singlish and defended its use vehemently. Given the current atrocious level of English in the country, this woman should be officially censured.
Well.. Lepillow.. Dont forget you are not the only SIngaporean in this forum ...That is just a gentle reminder from me

Old 11-10-2014, 01:14 AM

156 posts, read 287,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well.. Lepillow.. Dont forget you are not the only SIngaporean in this forum ...That is just a gentle reminder from me
If not what? I can't speak bad about anything that has got to do with Singapore just because? And what makes you think I'm Singaporean? Sheesh.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I'm fine with the Singlish accent.

I also like the way Malaysian/Indonesian use English.

One thing I find weird is that many Filipinos speak English, but you put two Filipinos together, and they'll almost always speak in a Filipino language despite non-filipinos sitting right there in their same group. I'm routinely surprised of the insensitivity of doing that.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:54 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
If not what? I can't speak bad about anything that has got to do with Singapore just because? And what makes you think I'm Singaporean? Sheesh.
you are not singaporeAN ? No wonder... i had the impression you are.. Oh.. So i am the only born, bred , studied, working and living in Singapore Singaporean here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia