Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

Islam is the newest "kid on the block" as far as religions, followed by Christianity, and before that? Buddhism?

I work with a number of Philipino's, and most of them are "devout" Christians, and so I asked one of them one night: Before Christianity was shoved down your throats, what religion was prevalent before Christianity?

She didn't know! My guess? Buddhism!

And despite their claims of being Christian, I can't help but see Buddhist behavior in these people! So much spontaneous, live-for-the-moment type of behavior!

Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:59 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Not Buddhism !!!

The Filipinos did not have a religion before the arrival of the Spanish. It was Islam only in the southern part while the rest didn't have a religion.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Always thought Indonesia used to be Hindu-Buddhist up until 500 years ago.

Last edited by Davy-040; 07-30-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Always thought Indonesia used to be Hindu.
Sumatra used to be dominantly Buddhist while Hinduism is more prevalent in java, Bali, Lombok and parts of Borneo. However most of the rest of the country used to be Animist, only Java, Sumatra and Bali receives much of the Indian influence. Animist elements are mixed to Hindu-Buddhist religion that causes the religion to appear to have similar element that mistaken the population to see the religion as 1. Animist elements are still greatly in practice in Indonesia wheter they're Christian or Muslims for an intant, like Java and Torajaland.

Balinese are mostly fleeing Hindus of Java when Majapahit collaspe, there is native Hindus there too but the number of fleeing Hindus mixing with the locals have replaced the original inhabbitant, leaving only those in mountainous areas of Bali such as Tengger.

Islamic believe in Java are often mixed with Buddhist-Hindu elements, if you are interested to see how the Javanese see religion watch this:

The Javanese are quiet hierachist, the Muslim are divided among Santri (10%) who practice pure Islamic believe, Abangan who mixed their religion, and royalties who is very traditionalist and is practicer of Kejawen. This is also a rason why the Javanese still practices their black magic believes and most of their pre-Islam ceremonies, it also applies to most other provinces. The Sumatran, Sundanese, and Maduranese on the contrary are religious Muslim, but you can trace some of their practices to their Buddhist root. The Batak of Sumatra are also quiet Tribalist despite their Christian believe.

There is still Hindu villages scattered in Java and also there is minor conversion of traditionalist Javanese to Hinduism (also Christianity).

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-30-2014 at 03:19 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:20 AM

96 posts, read 214,650 times
Isn't it Budhism is a way of life and not a religion per se?

As for Islam and Christianity, I understand that Christianity is one of the two ancient religions (i.e., Judahism and Christianity). Judhaism dates back before the coming of Christ (BC) while christianity startted upon the birth of Jusus. Islam, on the other hand, started in 600 AD.

I'm not familiar with Taoism, Confucianism and Hinduism.

I believe, in Northern Philippines, most of the people were pagans before the arrival of the spanish.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 AM

Ahhh i also forgot that Indonesia have monuments of its past glorious days before Islam such as borobudur (the largest Buddhist monument and script book on earth) and also Prambanan, and the many scattered temples all around Java. Some of these ruins were in fact converted again to Hindu temples, but of course permits is quiet limited. These temples in fact are considered sacred by the locals and especially practitioner of Kejawen.

https://www.google.co.id/search?q=bo...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

So yeah pretty much we won't forget our heritages, before Islam arrives in Indonesia and also we used Garuda the Hindu mythical birds as the national symbol. The Javanese also used a lot of Hindu elements for their culture, philosophy and art, that's why we have Ramayana ballet practiced here. (apart from Bali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
Isn't it Budhism is a way of life and not a religion per se?

As for Islam and Christianity, I understand that Christianity is one of the two ancient religions (i.e., Judahism and Christianity). Judhaism dates back before the coming of Christ (BC) while christianity startted upon the birth of Jusus. Islam, on the other hand, started in 600 AD.

I'm not familiar with Taoism, Confucianism and Hinduism.

I believe, in Northern Philippines, most of the people were pagans before the arrival of the spanish.
That varies for different personals, most of the Buddhist here see it as religion and believed in one God who is above Buddha himself. I suppose that's something to do with our Pancasila decree during independence. But i believe its accepted as a religion because you are believing into a spiritual being.

Before Spain Philippines was mixture of Muslims, Hindu, Buddhist, and Animist, but i think the animist tribal groups dominate the whole country.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-30-2014 at 04:06 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Ahhh i also forgot that Indonesia have monuments of its past glorious days before Islam such as borobudur (the largest Buddhist monument and script book on earth) and also Prambanan, and the many scattered temples all around Java. Some of these ruins were in fact converted again to Hindu temples, but of course permits is quiet limited. These temples in fact are considered sacred by the locals and especially practitioner of Kejawen.

So yeah pretty much we won't forget our heritages, before Islam arrives in Java and also we used Garuda the Hindu mythical birds as the national symbol. The Javanese also used a lot of Hindu elements for their culture, philosophy and art, that's why we have Ramayana ballet practiced here. (apart from Bali)

That varies for different personals, most of the Buddhist here see it as religion and believed in one God who is above Buddha himself. I suppose that's something to do with our Pancasila decree during independence. But i believe its accepted as a religion because you are believing something into a spiritual being.

Before Spain Philippines was mixture of Muslims, Hindu, Buddhist, and Animist, but i think the animist tribal groups dominate the whole country.
Philippines didn't really have a religion except in the South.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Philippines didn't really have a religion except in the South.
But the city of Manila was ruled by Muslim raja no?

I don't think you don't categorize animist and paganist of the various tribes living there as having "no religion", it doesn't make sense to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 AM

96 posts, read 214,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post

So yeah pretty much we won't forget our heritages, before Islam arrives in Indonesia and also we used Garuda the Hindu mythical birds as the national symbol. The Javanese also used a lot of Hindu elements for their culture, philosophy and art, that's why we have Ramayana ballet practiced here. (apart from Bali)

That varies for different personals, most of the Buddhist here see it as religion and believed in one God who is above Buddha himself. I suppose that's something to do with our Pancasila decree during independence. But i believe its accepted as a religion because you are believing into a spiritual being.

This is a nice info.

Is animist same as pagan?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
This is a nice info.

Is animist same as pagan?
I suppose that would depend on how you view it, pagan is described as any religion with the "historical" polytheistic traditional believe, however its often used to describe non-Abrahamic religion itself, in a negative way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia