Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,861 times

Advertisements

Why are Singaporeans so uptight and angry with other Singaporeans these days? | The Real Singapore

Honestly as a SIngaporean I do feel there is much more bitterness around compared to say 10-15 yrs ago.

No protest against phillipines Independence Day celebrations , no backlash against Anton casey , Amy Cheog etc

We seem to have grown less tolerant ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times
Life of Singaporeans (SPR like me included) are typically stressful. There are so many challenges to face. Could it be the reasons also? (Sorry I can't open the link)

1. High cost of living but stagnant wage. (Is there a minimum wage being imposed in the first place?)
2. Life is all about being middle-class, you have to work double or triple to maintain the middle class status. Forget about inching up to higher class.
3. Living in commieblocks.
4. No cars, hence, no roadtrips, no coffee and sandwhich while driving to work.
5. Public transport which was once good, is now too congested and crowded!
6. Job competition against much cheaper FT's.
7. Rising cost of healthcare and education, which are supposed to be given FREE.
8. Rising numbers of multi-billionaires, pushing the prices even higher!
9. Stagnant economic growth.

I am not a Singaporean but seriously the voice of Singaporeans needs to be heard! They're wasting their time complaining in online websites and blogs where there is proper place to raise their concerns.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
1. High cost of living but stagnant wage. (Is there a minimum wage being imposed in the first place?)
2. Life is all about being middle-class, you have to work double or triple to maintain the middle class status. Forget about inching up to higher class.

7. Rising cost of healthcare and education, which are supposed to be given FREE.

I am not a Singaporean but seriously the voice of Singaporeans needs to be heard! They're wasting their time complaining in online websites and blogs where there is proper place to raise their concerns.
I crossed out #4 - the one with not much ability to take a big road trip.

But, for all the others, it sounds like the exact same complaints of pretty much any and all 'wealthier' cities throughout the world. Fewer and fewer people can afford to live in the cities with a high cost of living.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Life of Singaporeans (SPR like me included) are typically stressful. There are so many challenges to face. Could it be the reasons also? (Sorry I can't open the link)

4. No cars, hence, no roadtrips, no coffee and sandwhich while driving to work.

Proper place to raise concerns ? We locals have been raising issues to the PAP such as our CPF, the population white paper but our voices go unheard.. Where is the proper avenue you are talking about ?

Roy raised qn about CPF, they were left half clarified and got himself into a lawsuit..

When we post comments on Social media and FB comments that do not go well with the govt get deleted .. They only hear what they want to hear .. Like this

PM Lee deletes Singaporeans' Facebook comments about imported table tennis talents | The Real Singapore

Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times
^I also don't know. So, deal with it?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
I've been in and out of Singapore for years and yes the locals have become angrier and more stressed out than in the past. When I lived in Singapore in the 60's it was a poor third world country and I swear most people were actually happier than now.

I know many people who want to migrate, even people in their 50's. Look at the housing situation. Middle class people living in sterile HDB estates that in Europe or the US would be considered welfare housing. Owning a landed property is a fantasy for most people. We know of one wealthy gentlemen who owned a single family house in the Orchard Grove Rd area and recently sold it to an Indonesian businessman for 31 million Singapore dollars.

The crowding is incredible and the population keeps increasing. Expensive cars that just barely move in bumper to bumper traffic. The government has expanded the MRT lines but they are still overloaded and often standing room only. Everyone complains about the Mainland Chinese, they don't understand their dialect. They are rude and unsanitary. Some of the older folks feel like they are living in a foreign country.

And yes it is getting hotter, much hotter. Take a tropical climate and add on thousands of tons of concrete heat absorbing buildings and you have big problems.

Good luck Singapore.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I've been in and out of Singapore for years and yes the locals have become angrier and more stressed out than in the past. When I lived in Singapore in the 60's it was a poor third world country and I swear most people were actually happier than now.

I know many people who want to migrate, even people in their 50's. Look at the housing situation. Middle class people living in sterile HDB estates that in Europe or the US would be considered welfare housing. Owning a landed property is a fantasy for most people. We know of one wealthy gentlemen who owned a single family house in the Orchard Grove Rd area and recently sold it to an Indonesian businessman for 31 million Singapore dollars.

The crowding is incredible and the population keeps increasing. Expensive cars that just barely move in bumper to bumper traffic. The government has expanded the MRT lines but they are still overloaded and often standing room only. Everyone complains about the Mainland Chinese, they don't understand their dialect. They are rude and unsanitary. Some of the older folks feel like they are living in a foreign country.

And yes it is getting hotter, much hotter. Take a tropical climate and add on thousands of tons of concrete heat absorbing buildings and you have big problems.

Good luck Singapore.
You don't have to go back to 1960s, even late 1980s and late 1990s SIngapore was good..

Good luck to SIngapore ? I think SIngapore will get the answer to that when we go to the polls late 2015.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
That's why there are so many shopping malls, lay! Haha...

Have you even lived in a HDB flat? They're not that bad, really.

Plus you don't need a car in S'pore.
Yes. I've stayed in several HDB flats over the years. Pasir Ris and Yew Tee and other places. Have never driven in Singapore but have used the MRT many times.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

Good luck Singapore.
I quite like Singapore. But, all of those things seem difficult to fix. There is unfortunately only so much land to Singapore. So, anyone who lives there, or tries to emigrate there, you are basically going to be living in an expensive urban environment. I've long thought Singapore would be so cool if it had a larger chunk of Malaysia, and could be a society with both rural and urban.

The Mainland Chinese comment is interesting. Same thing in Hong Kong/Macau. The rudeness, unsanitary, impolite, yelling when talking, unawareness of others, etc. Interesting that Singapore is getting that fully as well.

I also noticed that while Singapore has its dense walkable parts, there are many very unwalkable almost suburban like areas. Places that feel more car-dependent than they should, with large swaths of areas that are a bit more difficult to navigate on foot. Which means that for some people living in those areas, you have to get in a car and deal with gridlock traffic. Either that, or walk a long ways in some unattractive looking areas to get to MRT.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Singapore is actually made up of 63 islands, the most notable other island is Pulau Ubin. It actually has a sort of old kampong feel to it, and occasionally even now the odd tiger or elephant swims across the strait. The last tiger on the main island of Singapore was shot near Choa Chu Kang in 1937.

Tigers in Singapore | Infopedia

Second Shot: 2nd Shot: The Last Tiger of Singapore

It would be interesting if Singapore annexed Johor, Johor Bharu is culturally pretty tied to Singapore as it is.

Are you referring to much of the central area, much of which is surprisingly forested, covered in flower farms and tropical fish farms? Like Bukit Timah way, around the reservoirs, Mandai/where the zoo is? Also the Tuas/western part of Jurong which is quite industrial. These areas are more sparsely populated. They have planning many more MRT lines, including one to Bukit Timah by 2015.
Wow .. I think many Singaporeans including myself won't know the No of islands that SIngapore is made Up of ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia