Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Asian people are most friendly to American immigrants?
China 1 1.16%
India 4 4.65%
Indonesia 2 2.33%
Japan 5 5.81%
Philippines 41 47.67%
Vietnam 1 1.16%
Thailand 8 9.30%
South Korea 3 3.49%
Malaysia 0 0%
Nepal 2 2.33%
North Korea 3 3.49%
Taiwan 6 6.98%
Cambodia 0 0%
United Arab Emirates 0 0%
Hong Kong 3 3.49%
Singapore 4 4.65%
Other 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Anyway i agree that Malaysia is a melting pot of 3 major culture, nevertheless the anti-American sentiment is still there, whether you think it as a melting pots of culture or not. Its more comfortable perhaps when you are in area with less Malays.

Even if you'd think of Indonesian that way, its actually almost similar case with Malaysia, in the end the westerner didn't get affected by it.

Didn't you even realize that the mastermind of Bali bombing is Malaysians and not Indonesians?

Indonesia is ultimately diverse, whether they're just Indonesians to you or not but the existence of different cultures of different islands is there, all having different culture and language. Also there's significant Chinese and Arabs community which is still somehow distinctive than the natives, however their number are tiny in comparison of the natives. The islands are also religously diverse, in the capital you can find Hindu and Buddhist temples as well quiet easily. Its all right there.
That's exactly right, a foreigner can easily spend a lot of time in Malaysia and spend a lot of time in areas that have fewer Malays. That's basically what I've been trying to say with every post. Which is, to me, what makes it more comfortable than Indonesia.

Not only that, but Malaysians don't have that desperate 'oh, there is a foreigner, maybe I can overcharge him!'

Indonesia. PARTICULARLY on 'Hindu' Bali, the mass majority of the Indonesian people that a foreigner is going to meet, are going to be from Java. The encounter with them, is going to be spending the majority of their time and your time, experiencing them trying to get a dollar or ten dollars from you. This goes from the cop on the street, to the vendor guy, to the taxi guys doing U-Turns and honking relentlessly until you step out of their visual sight.

When you step into Malaysia, all of that fades away, and you can pretty much walk anywhere and everywhere, without anyone's eyes getting all huge on you with dollar signs glaring out of their pupils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,160 times
it is true what you say Tiger Beer in Indonesia more visible in Indonesians, because our country has a native
Javanese is about 95 million (50%), Sundanese 45 million (15%), Malay Sumatran about 8 million (3%) and then to ethnic Chinese according to the 2011 census approximately 8-12 million people (5%) a very small amount in compare with the population of Javanese / Sundanese. I see a more liberal Islam in Indonesian open to accept all foreign influences, including the influence of the west, I do not know but if in Malaysia .. Malaysia look closely adhere to the religion such as Aceh and hold values ​​or religious norms. yeah that for bali bomb is an event that is very bitter. and our country is very tight for the things that smelled of radicals or terrorists. for the present Indonesia is very safe for such things;-

Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,055 times
This was the survey conducted by Global Attitudes Project of Pew Research Center in 2013

Which nationalities have favorable view of the US?

Philippines - 85%
Israel - 83%
Ghana - 83%

Unfavorable:
Jordan - 85%
Egypt - 81%
Palestinian Territory - 79%
Pakistan - 72%

Read more: 85% of Filipinos love US – survey | Inquirer Global Nation

Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,055 times
Too much obsession??

View on American people
When asked “Do you have a favorable or unfavorable view of the American people?” 85 percent of Filipinos said they have a favorable view, higher than the US, which had a score of 84 percent.

Ghana, with 84 percent, is tied with the US while South Korea had 80 percent.

Those who had an unfavorable view of Americans were from the Palestinian territory (69 percent), Turkey (68 percent), Jordan and Egypt (both 65 percent).

View on national interests
When asked if the US considers the respective country’s interests, 85 percent of Filipinos answered “Great deal/ fair amount.”

Kenya (79 percent), placed second followed by South Africa (73 percent), and US (70 percent).

The US and the Philippines are currently in the process of finalizing the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement that would allow US troops to access Philippine Military bases.

Leading global superpower
On the question “Will China eventually replace the US as the world’s leading superpower?” the Philippines ranked first in the list of those who answered “Will never replace” with 74 percent.

Japan followed close with 72 percent while the third ranked country is Egypt with a far 56 percent.

Philippines and Japan are involved in a maritime dispute with China over islands and islets in the South China Sea. Philippine has previously filed for an arbitration case before the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea (ITLOS).
The leading country who answered “Will eventually replace” is China with 58 percent, followed by Spain and Great Britain (55 percent), and Canada and Australia (52 percent).

Influential partner
When asked about the amount of influence the US has in the way things are going on the country, 90 percent of Filipinos answered “Great deal / fair amount.”

Philippines is followed by Kenya (85 percent), Brazil (83 percent), and South Africa (77 percent).

On the question “Is the US more of a partner, enemy, or neither?” the Philippines ranked fourth in answering “Partner” with 81 percent.

Israel leads with 90 percent followed by El Salvador (88 percent), Senegal (84 percent).

Read more: 85% of Filipinos love US – survey | Inquirer Global Nation

Old 08-01-2014, 07:40 AM

Another thing I wanted to say about Malaysia vs Indonesia.

I'm basically saying the FEELING when inside the countries.

When I meet Indonesians outside of Indonesia, they are some of the nicest people in Asia, by far. I really like Indonesians, and I easily rank them up there with Filipinos, about equal, for just being nice, warm, friendly, great people - as some of the warmest, friendliest, nicest to be around people.

But, I'm just stating the EXPERIENCES when in the actual countries of either Malaysia or Indonesia.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's exactly right, a foreigner can easily spend a lot of time in Malaysia and spend a lot of time in areas that have fewer Malays. That's basically what I've been trying to say with every post. Which is, to me, what makes it more comfortable than Indonesia.

Not only that, but Malaysians don't have that desperate 'oh, there is a foreigner, maybe I can overcharge him!'

Indonesia. PARTICULARLY on 'Hindu' Bali, the mass majority of the Indonesian people that a foreigner is going to meet, are going to be from Java. The encounter with them, is going to be spending the majority of their time and your time, experiencing them trying to get a dollar or ten dollars from you. This goes from the cop on the street, to the vendor guy, to the taxi guys doing U-Turns and honking relentlessly until you step out of their visual sight.

When you step into Malaysia, all of that fades away, and you can pretty much walk anywhere and everywhere, without anyone's eyes getting all huge on you with dollar signs glaring out of their pupils.
Despite the negativity perceived by media, places in Indonesia are definitely NOT majority anti-Americans. Basically its as safe as when you go to Malaysia, even more in Christian provinces. You are basically generalizing all Muslims to be anti-Americans, because in the 90s people shout "oh let's beat up some Americans".

How sure are you that there's this no desperate "oh there's foreigner i should overcharge him" in Malaysia? Indonesia maybe poorer than Malaysia but they don't do that on a massive scale. Only mostly touristy areas, like Kuta maybe are infested with touts selling you overpriced things, but others? not really.

The taxis in Indonesia is better than those in Malaysia, atleast they'll accept meters and don't charge you with ridiculous prices especially if you are white. I admit the police are corrupt here, worse then in Malaysia but the police there is also corrupt, i've experienced it after living there for nearly 2 years there and its almost as horrible, they'll purposely wait on certain location and if you are non-Malaysians you are basically screwed. And i doubt they won't charge you more if you are white.

Indonesians don't see you as huge dollar signs, yes they notice white people but they don't do the thing you keep mentioning as this big "dollar" sign, yes there's girl who wants your money and other junkies, but people here generally DO NOT socialize with foreigner for the sake of money, and vendors? probably tourist vendor selling junks.

3 million tourist visit Bali, the rest 6 million are off somewhere else, and they definitely do not always encounter people seeing you as walking atm, especially in non-tourist area. And even in Aceh they do not go crazy just because they see foreigners in their province. You only experience Java back in the 1990s when there's a big issue of instability.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-01-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
How sure are you that there's this no "oh there's foreigner i should overcharge him", Indonesia maybe poorer than Malaysia but they don't do that on a massive scale. Only mostly touristy areas, like Kuta maybe are infested with touts selling you overpriced things, but others? not really.

The taxis in Indonesia is better than those in Malaysia, atleast they'll accept meters and don't charge you with ridiculous prices especially if you are white. I admit the police are corrupt here, worse then in Malaysia but the police there is also corrupt, i've experienced it after living there for nearly 2 years there and its almost as horrible, they'll purposely wait on certain location and if you are non-Malaysians you are basically screwed. And i doubt they won't charge you more if you are white.

Indonesians don't see you as huge dollar signs, yes they notice white people but they don't do the thing you keep mentioning as this big "dollar" sign, yes there's girl who wants your money but people here DO NOT socialize with foreigner for the sake of money, and vendors? probably tourist vendor selling junks.

3 million tourist visit Bali, the rest 6 million are off somewhere else, and they definitely do not always encounter people seeing you as walking atm, especially in non-tourist area. You only experience Java back in the 1990s when there's a big issue of instability.
I think we're shifting topics from Bali to 'Middle of Indonesia', which are, of course, two very different things.

We're talking about the tourist experience in Bali. It shifted to Bali, as that was suppose to be 'different' as they are Hindus. But, the reality is a 'tourist' will mostly meet touts from the Island of Java. Of course, if a person DOES NOT spend time in the tourist areas, then their experience will be completely different.

But, it's a pretty safe assumption, that every single foreigner that goes to Bali, is going to 99.99% of the time be in the tourist areas, doing tourist things, and encountering touts with every step of the way. You can not even walk down Kuta Beach as a white person without having a different vendor every few minutes, trying to sell you something. Occasionally one of those vendors give you the hearty '**** you' out of frustration, that you didn't immediately open your wallet for them, when you ignore one of them, after trying very politely to say 'no thanks' to the last 30 who approached you in the last hour.

Of course that's not 99.99% of Indonesia...but that is the experience for 99.99% of the obvious-looking foreigner people who arrive in Bali, and decide to get some sun out on Kuta Beach.

But, I will say that if you were to go to the middle of some other random Island in Indonesia, you would not have that same tourist experience, because you wouldn't have any tourists, and therefore you wouldn't have the types of touts that prey on tourists, like what you'd find in Bali.

I'm not saying I dislike Bali. I like it quite a bit. I'm just saying that that is what the typical experience is in Bali, for many obviously foreign people who go there. Many people also overlook all of that, and have a great time. I loved Bali as well. But, that's the experience that many 'tourists' do actually have.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think we're shifting topics from Bali to 'Middle of Indonesia', which are, of course, two very different things.

We're talking about the tourist experience in Bali. It shifted to Bali, as that was suppose to be 'different' as they are Hindus. But, the reality is a 'tourist' will mostly meet touts from the Island of Java. Of course, if a person DOES NOT spend time in the tourist areas, then their experience will be completely different.
Ahhh so the topic is shifted from Indonesia being unsafe than Malaysia to Bali's uncomfortable experiences, but the hassles in Bali has nothing to do with the topic. So is it because you are more "comfortable" in Malaysia that makes it safer and more American-accepting than Indo?

The police corruption and taxis still applies to Bali vs Malaysia though.

And tourists spending more time in less-Malay populated areas of Malaysia makes it safer? hmmm really, well that's your perception.

Quote:
That's pretty much Indonesia after you go out from the tourists areas.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Ahhh so the topic is shifted from Indonesia being unsafe than Malaysia than Bali, but the hassles in Bali has nothing to do with the topic. So is it because you are more "comfortable" in Malaysia that makes it safer and accepted than Indo?

And tourists spending more time in less-Malay populated areas of Malaysia makes it safer? hmmm really.

That's pretty much Indonesia after you go out from the tourists areas.
I'll share half dozen experiences that I had in INDONESIA as to why I think so...none of these are 'safety' issues, but just you have to be on your guard pretty much all the time...

1) Policeman stopped me in Bali, as I was riding a motorbike while being white, therefore an irresistibly lucrative bribe. Took me to his booth, and decided that if I pay now, it is only US$25, instead of something much higher at the station. I just paid the bribe.

2) Went to get change at a currency exchange place. The guy kept dropping the Indonesian money, and having to recount it again and again. I could see he was trying to drop bills and shortchange me. Luckily my US money will still on the counter, and I just took it back and walked out.

3) Yogjakarta. I was trying to change hostels, and a tout was following me the entire way, basically verbally harassing me. I relentlessly told him him that I wasn't interested, and a minute later, I caught him trying to unzip my bag that was on my back. Hence the reason he was following me down the street the entire time.

4) Malang. Met a Scandianian boy in a hotel. He was 18. Some 25-year-old Indonesian woman with a gangster boyfriend was trying to get him to marry him. Meanwhile her REAL Indonesian boyfriend was insanely jealous and trying to kill him. I met his girlfriend, and she was belittling him the entire time in front of his face and my face. Saying what a little naive boy he was, etc. He was in love with her, and couldn't wait to marry her and bring her back to Sweden. That night, after him, her, and I went out, her boyfriend showed up at the hotel to try to kill him. He hid in my room scared out of his mind. She went out of his hotel room to talk some sense into her boyfriend.

5) The time I went to Batam from Singapore, and had about 40 guys swarm all over me the moment I stepped through immigration. It was just so much attention, I turned right back around, went immediately through immigration, and went right back to Singapore again the same hour. (I was going to spend the day in Batam, but decided I didn't want to deal with that all day).

I can think of another half dozen, but they get more minor, but they all keep adding up to annoying hassles. Oh, trying to get to the Airport, and being sized up by every other official guy, who is trying to get a little something from you before you leave the country.

7) Oh, the time some female vendor pulled me into her shop, and immediately started giving me a Pedicure and insisted it was ONLY because I needed it. Then when she was done, tried to charge me something like US$20. I gave her $2 and walked away.

I'll stop there. But never had any of those experiences in Malaysia. So, yeah, I just "FEEL" that Malaysia is easier to walk around without hassles. Just a "FEELING"...

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-01-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I've been to 10 of the Asian countries and I think it's Philippines. Actually very few Asian countries do I feel animosity in like I felt in Europe. The Phils is welcoming because we (USA & PH) have both treated each fairly and respectfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia