Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, possible, or once was. My wife got in that way the first time. She had a transit visa with an onward ticket to Jordan (had to show the ticket). Of course she was in the country illegaly until we got her Iquama, and a Saudi prison is not a place you want to be. We were lucky.
If she was in the country with a transit visa...how was it also illegal?

What's an Iquama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

What's an Iquama?
The transit visa was only good until the first flight out.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:

What's an Iquama?
An Iquama is a residence permit. Moslems get a green one, and non-moslem's are brown.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Riyadh offers very little for a tourist other than the Souk (bazaar).
Is it the same kind of Souk that one can find in Dubai, Doha, etc.?

If so, maybe not that interesting....well, being I've seen a few in the other countries.

I'm working on trying to visit there this Fall. I would have a purpose though, so I might get a visa for it. But, it sounds like there wouldn't be a whole lot to do.

Just curious, most foreigners in Saudi, are basically always living in the compounds? Right? So, it's probably almost never that you'd see foreigners just strolling around the city randomly?

Also, for some reason, I have a feeling that most Saudis would wear their traditional garb just about everywhere. Does that mean that a foreigner dressed in western attire, is really going to stand out?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Is it the same kind of Souk that one can find in Dubai, Doha, etc.?

If so, maybe not that interesting....well, being I've seen a few in the other countries.

I'm working on trying to visit there this Fall. I would have a purpose though, so I might get a visa for it. But, it sounds like there wouldn't be a whole lot to do.

Just curious, most foreigners in Saudi, are basically always living in the compounds? Right? So, it's probably almost never that you'd see foreigners just strolling around the city randomly?

Also, for some reason, I have a feeling that most Saudis would wear their traditional garb just about everywhere. Does that mean that a foreigner dressed in western attire, is really going to stand out?
The Souk in Riyadh has old traditional sections that are interesting, similar to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

A man can wear normal clothes, but no shorts and be careful what is on a T shirt. Michael Jackson And Madonna T-Shirts were banned when I was there for instance. No jewelry on men. Witchcraft is banned so no symbols that might be considered occult. Women must wear an Obiyah regardless, especially in Riyadh. An Obiyah is the black Supreme Court Justice looking gown from the neck down. Western women won't be required to cover their face, but a head scarf will keep kids from tossing rocks at them. Recommended.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
I have a friend that works in Riyadh now.he comes down here to Bahrain to party from time to time and his co worker hasa girlfriend in Bahrain. They are both American. My friend told me that you can see everything in Riyahd worth seeing in one day. He did mentioned some tower.

I've never tried to cross the casueway into Saudi but I know members of the GCC can move about freely. Too me it tells me all I need to know about Saudi when they flood Bahrain every weekend. You see more KSA license plates on the road than you do Bahrain.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:09 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,849 times
Quote:
It's actually an interesting place and culture. My wife and I enjoyed our years there. The Saudis are pretty decent, honest people from my experience. They are friendly and hospitable, though you may find some younger ones with thinly disguised anti-western chips on their shoulder, but even those are courteous which is their custom. The Bedouins are especially hospitable.
It is such a restrictive place. The laws are very scary, and the way women are treated are disgusting. There were protests in my city by Ethiopians about the violence towards them, especially the female maids. I've seen some videos and it's quite disturbing...

I don't think I would feel safe in any Muslim-majority country really

Old 08-24-2014, 05:37 AM

72 posts, read 97,427 times
I lived in Saudi for about 4 years. I lived in Jeddah, but went to Riyadh on several occasions. Riyadh is definitely more restrictive than Jeddah. Riyadh does have a better highway system and a better airport though.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:45 AM

72 posts, read 97,427 times
Quote:
I don't think I would feel safe in any Muslim-majority country really
I have lived in 2 Muslim countries in the middle east (Saudi and UAE), and have visited 2 others in Asia(Malaysia and Indonesia). I felt safer walking around at night than I have in any western city I have lived or visited.

Quote:
The laws are very scary, and the way women are treated are disgusting.
I don't really find the laws "scary", but I have said many times that Saudi Arabia is definitely better for a man than for a woman. This applies to Saudi, not to the many other Muslim countries. Saudi is "different" in regards to their culture compared to other Muslim countries.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtm7 View Post
I lived in Saudi for about 4 years. I lived in Jeddah, but went to Riyadh on several occasions. Riyadh is definitely more restrictive than Jeddah. Riyadh does have a better highway system and a better airport though.
How about walking around taking photos....was that any problem for you in Jeddah?

or in Riyadh, for that matter...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia