Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:34 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times

Advertisements

The plantation workers that I have known do not make that much. Poor people can't help the fact they aren't able to finish school, that they are forced to quit school early and go to work to help the family in order to keep a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs. Some do try to go back and finish later. I don't know anyone there that has 10 kids, some surely have a good number. But the people I know have one or two kids. My some people here have a pompous attitude. You're not walking in their shoes, so don't judge them.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The plantation workers that I have known do not make that much. Poor people can't help the fact they aren't able to finish school, that they are forced to quit school early and go to work to help the family in order to keep a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs. Some do try to go back and finish later. I don't know anyone there that has 10 kids, some surely have a good number. But the people I know have one or two kids. My some people here have a pompous attitude. You're not walking in their shoes, so don't judge them.
My great grandfathers worked the sugar cane fields and were tobacco rollers. One of their kids, ie my grandfather, had enough of that and enlisted in the Army. He fought in the Korean War, got his GI Bill, and made something of himself. That is one way how poor people got ahead in life. Stop excusing their poverty, they are there because they don't have the motivation to be a little smart and say no to that lifestyle. Poor people all over the world are saying no to their parents' lifestyle and living a different path. Stop making excuses for them

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
There are many of these in the Philippines. Responsible Parenthood Act will expect to ease this huge population growth, but for some reason, there are many lobbyists such as the Catholic church and some politicians who wants to build good image out of poor by riding with bishop's opinion.

Not that I don't want to blame these iresponsible people but government seriously need to step in on this population control issue by providing win-win policy for the people and the government.

Nothing is wrong with working in a plantation/agriculture. Philippines needs this industry. Let's also not judge people who prefers working in this industry and living in small rural areas. My father was once a farmer but becasue of his perseverance, he acquired small piece of farm to grow fruits and vegetables. Now he owns a parcel of lands in our small town in the Philippines giving hundreds of people a decent livelihood. He is way richer than a mid level manager working in Makati.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:04 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,884 times
*Indonesia
*Singapore
*Malaysia

- Thailand
- Philipines
- Vietnam
- Laos
- Myanmar
- Cambodia

Old 09-28-2014, 08:26 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Out of curiosity, why are you singling out these specific countries? There are larger diasporas of Chinese and Indians around the world, but you seem fairly intent on singling out Filipinos.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you singling out these specific countries? There are larger diasporas of Chinese and Indians around the world, but you seem fairly intent on singling out Filipinos.
It was just an example. Same thing applies to both India and China though. Maybe even moreso applies to them, as even just getting a tourist visa to either China or India, is a big event.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
To the OP, current Western immigration laws mostly came from outside pressure from the Third World. Third World governments were hesitant to ally themselves with Western governments and they demanded access to the labor markets of the West. The Western countries agreed (under US pressure) to accept immigrants from the Third World since the US wanted to prevent the Third World from falling under Soviet influence. For example, the Turkish gastarbeiters came from Turkish and American pressure on West Germany to open up the country to Turkish immigration. The US wanted Turkey as an ally and pressured West Germany so that they (the US) can create good will with Turkey and make sure that Turkey was a stalwart ally.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
to tell you the truth, Filipinos don't like migrating to other countries if only the opportunities are available but sadly, this is where the politicians failed their people.

people migrate in search of greener pasture and this is true to all the Europeans who went to America, Africa and Australia, to the Chinese who migrated in Southeast Asia as well as to the Indians.

to those haters in Singapore, remember, your ancestors also escaped poverty in China and even now, with all the economic growth of China, Chinese still want to go to the Philippines and elsewhere to have better lives

Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
to tell you the truth, Filipinos don't like migrating to other countries if only the opportunities are available but sadly, this is where the politicians failed their people.

people migrate in search of greener pasture and this is true to all the Europeans who went to America, Africa and Australia, to the Chinese who migrated in Southeast Asia as well as to the Indians.

to those haters in Singapore, remember, your ancestors also escaped poverty in China and even now, with all the economic growth of China, Chinese still want to go to the Philippines and elsewhere to have better lives
That reminds me when perhaps the biggest star of her generation, Governor Vilma Santos came out of semi retirement from acting to star in Anak as a mother forced by circumstances to work as a domestic in Hong Kong as her family falls apart back home. Her baby does not remember her, her daughter is drug addicted and already had an illegal abortion when a boyfriend tries to get her in a threesome and she fears a second pregnancy. When her husband died her employers had looked her in her apartment and should not return to the Philippines for compassionate leave….

And then at the end with strains of patriotic music because the merger savings from that first contract where stolen and wasted she again leaves her family to go forth as a “national hero” on another contract. A people who want to leave would not produce such a movie honoring the sacrifice of those who leave and with feeling for those left behind that the sacrifice was made for.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangkokNights View Post
It's a terrible idea. Those countries, the Phils and Japan, are already so densely populated. Without sounding xenophobic some of Europe is already too open as it is. They have a right to control immigration as they see fit.
Actually, that's the spirit of this post. Why does everyone think that Europe should be wide-open to the world, but no one else in the world allows the same policies outside of Europe, the Americas, and OZ/NZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia