Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times

Advertisements

I think this is very dangerous as seen in past protest. The history shows those involved can suffer long after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:14 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
In France, some leftist journalists and "opinion makers" who defend the "pro-democracy" demonstrations in HK maintain in the same breath that "it was better when in the PRC Mao was in power". It seems to me presposterous to be at the same time pro democracy and pro Mao. Either they lie, or they are unbelievably ignorant. But one should know that part of the French intelligentsia is made of former Maoists.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:31 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
HK was still under British rule when Mao was in power.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 AM

HK was still under British rule when Mao was in power

So that does excuse the insult to the intelligence that is mixing up maoism with western democracy? you'll agree with me that these "opinion makers" havent got a clue.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 AM

I don't really know French politics so I can't comment on that lol.

But if "HK was better when Mao was in power" is their slogan, then I guess they're just trying to fool those that don't know when HK was handed back to China.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
My daughter is in China. She said the news in Shanghai reported that the reason so many people are in Hong Kong was because they all showed up for the National Day celebration. They also shut down Instagram.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 AM

In 1997 (the year HK was handed back to China), HK's GDP represented 18% of the People's Republic GDP.
AS of now it represents 3% of China's GDP.
So they can demonstrate all they want, they have no leverage and Beijing can choose to crush them if it wants to.
I doubt the Western Powers would try to enforce sanctions there as they tried to do for Russia over Ukraine (and it backfired miserably).

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,158 times
Beijing is currently on a propaganda and censorship overdrive, censoring all HK related images and search key words, blocking Instagram photo sharing service, and cell signal blackouts in parts of HK. One pro-Beijing TV channel (Phoenix TV) went so far as to label footage of protests as "HK people voicing support for the Central Government election reform program". George Orwell's 1984 is alive and well.

I've attached a few other news and analysis on other aspects of the protest, and the Beijing government's fierce censorship campaign at the moment:

The Guardian on Chinese state broadcaster's "repositioning" of protest images as "pro-government rally", taking reality distoration to new heights: China censors images of Hong Kong protests in TV broadcasts to mainland | World news | The Guardian

LA Times on self censorship of even foreign news sites like Reuters and WSJ (Chinese langauge) are not reporting the protests for fear of retribution from mainland authorities: Censors in China keep mainlanders in dark about Hong Kong protests - LA Times

State Censors block Instagram image sharing service, among an already long list of website blockages: How one night of tear gas in Hong Kong just shut down Instagram in China - The Washington Post

NYTimes has described this week's protests as a "a diligently clean, exceedingly polite and scrupulously peaceful insurgency": http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/wo...?smid=tw-share

Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,158 times
As an ethnic Chinese, I am extremely saddened by the state of affairs in HK and disappointed (though not surprised) with the Central Government's response. My grandfather fought with Mao's Red Army since 1938, in the Sino-Japanese War and the War of Liberation against the Nationalists. The Communist Party that he fought and bled for, the Party that represented the rights and interests of the poor, the oppressed, and all ordinary Chinese, is most definitely not the same Party that is in Beijing today.

In stark contrast to 1949 when the Communist Party represented the most progressive and revolutionary political force in China, the Communist Party today is going great lengths to defend the power and influence of tycoons, corrupt officials, and oligarchic corporate interests, and in some instances sending in police and armed troops to shoot on the same people that embraced them 65 years ago as the liberators.

When I was young, my parents and grandparents always told me that the Party was China's best and only chance to achieve greatness, glory, and national rejuvenation after the century of humiliation. I used to firmly believe in that view, because I saw the Party's glory as China's glory. In recent years, I've finally understand one thing: the Party and China are not the same. The Party has the capability to bring China to greatness and glory, but also the capacity to drag 1.3 billion people to immeasurable suffering (as vividly demonstrated by the Great Famine of 1959 and Cultural Revolution). The Party will rise and fall, but Chinese people, our culture, and our civilization will endure. We have had over 21 major dynastic and regime changes over the last 3000 years, and the current Communist Party will be dealt the same fate, sooner or later.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
As an ethnic Chinese, I am extremely saddened by the state of affairs in HK and disappointed (though not surprised) with the Central Government's response. My grandfather fought with Mao's Red Army since 1938, in the Sino-Japanese War and the War of Liberation against the Nationalists. The Communist Party that he fought and bled for, the Party that represented the rights and interests of the poor, the oppressed, and all ordinary Chinese, is most definitely not the same Party that is in Beijing today.

In stark contrast to 1949 when the Communist Party represented the most progressive and revolutionary political force in China, the Communist Party today is going great lengths to defend the power and influence of tycoons, corrupt officials, and oligarchic corporate interests, and in some instances sending in police and armed troops to shoot on the same people that embraced them 65 years ago as the liberators.

When I was young, my parents and grandparents always told me that the Party was China's best and only chance to achieve greatness, glory, and national rejuvenation after the century of humiliation. I used to firmly believe in that view, because I saw the Party's glory as China's glory. In recent years, I've finally understand one thing: the Party and China are not the same. The Party has the capability to bring China to greatness and glory, but also the capacity to drag 1.3 billion people to immeasurable suffering (as vividly demonstrated by the Great Famine of 1959 and Cultural Revolution). The Party will rise and fall, but Chinese people, our culture, and our civilization will endure. We have had over 21 major dynastic and regime changes over the last 3000 years, and the current Communist Party will be dealt the same fate, sooner or later.
I hope sooner, asap, preferably before 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia