Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Hong Kong be back under British Rule?
Yes: God Save the Queen 11 26.19%
No: I love comunism 2 4.76%
No: We Should be indipendent 18 42.86%
No: I have other ideas 6 14.29%
I realy don't care! And anyway China will always rule Hong Kong as it is a stubborn country! 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,568,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
You mean imperialism?
Ever since the second world war, Britain has been trying to spread democracy. But I think it's crazy how the UK has been one of the oldest modern democracies in the world, but didn't give a peace of that to Hong Kong... Just mad! But Britain was definitely all about imperialism prior to WW1!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 12:35 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,069,539 times
The people of Hong Kong should have a UN sponsored referendum that allows them to choose between being British, being Chinese, or being independent of both. Period. It's called self determination.

Most (if not all) of the remaining British Overseas Territories have become more or less completely self governing except for defense and foreign affairs over the last 15-20 years. The role of the British appointed governor is largely ceremonial although he/she does have some political power.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The people of Hong Kong should have a UN sponsored referendum that allows them to choose between being British, being Chinese, or being independent of both. Period. It's called self determination.

Most (if not all) of the remaining British Overseas Territories have become more or less completely self governing except for defense and foreign affairs over the last 15-20 years. The role of the British appointed governor is largely ceremonial although he/she does have some political power.
I agree. Though don't think China will honer that somehow?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,694,529 times
Quote:

China ain't some weak nation. It's one of the most powerful in the world and one of the oldest in the world.

China wants to make rules instead of following rules made by westerners. Understand this, then you will understand China's behaviors

Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Ever since the second world war, Britain has been trying to spread democracy. But I think it's crazy how the UK has been one of the oldest modern democracies in the world, but didn't give a peace of that to Hong Kong... Just mad! But Britain was definitely all about imperialism prior to WW1!
Maybe "spreading democracy" is just an extension of missionary work which is so important for Christians.
Other people may not need it, at least not for now.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,069,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China ain't some weak nation. It's one of the most powerful in the world and one of the oldest in the world.

China wants to make rules instead of following rules made by westerners. Understand this, then you will understand China's behaviors
China is also a dictatorship that refuses to allow the people of Tibet, Taiwan, Macau, Hong Kong, and Xinjiang the internationally accepted right of self determination.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
China is also a dictatorship that refuses to allow the people of Tibet, Taiwan, Macau, Hong Kong, and Xinjiang the internationally accepted right of self determination.
Anyone who does not agree with the US (and UK etc.) is immediately labeled as a dictatorship, or terrorist.
Talking about propaganda.

Keeping unified (大一统) is the core of Chinese culture, which will never change. China has always been a multi-national country too. If you try to interpret events in China from a western perspective, a lot of things don't make sense.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Anyone who does not agree with the US (and UK etc.) is immediately labeled as a dictatorship, or terrorist.
Talking about propaganda.

Keeping unified (大一统) is the core of Chinese culture, which will never change. China has always been a multi-national country too. If you try to interpret events in China from a western perspective, a lot of things don't make sense.
But Hong Kong doesn't wont China, at least communism! If the Chinese government doesn't listen to all those states, or provinces, or... whatever China calls them (I call them suppressed states!), then China will split up. It's just like the British Empire, if Westminster listened more to the overseas territories and where less racist, then Britain could still be an empire now! Same with China, if they don't change into a democracy, then the states that do want it will leave China! That's what I think anyway. On the other hand, one could ague that some countries that are over populated need a dictatorship. For example, India, a country with a population that will takeover China's at some point within the next decade or two, is a democracy and is filled with corruption. So I could perhaps understand that a little...

Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Love how the main Chinese news (CCTV News) hasn't even got any news about Hong Kong at all! This must be censored so the other Chinese people don't have the same ideas? Just goes to show how scared the Communist party is over there! CCTV News - China, World, Biz, Video, Live events - English_CCTV.com

Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,474,574 times
Quote:
Uh, no. China is a single-party dictatorship with severely reduced civil liberties. The criticism is well-founded. I know that you will defend China regardless of its actions, but the rest of the world doesn't care about protecting your feelings, and the rest of the world doesn't care about protecting 'Chinese core values' if those values actively oppress its people.

You see, when people protest in large numbers - to the extent that entire roads are impassable - then you have a problem. The number one priority of a nation state is supposed to be about making its citizens happy - but the Chinese state does no such thing for Hong Kong or China in general, and the people of Hong Kong are making that explicitly clear - and the only reason no such thing is happening on the mainland is because they will more than likely get shot.

Sorry if it upsets you, and I'm so, so sorry if I come across as an self-righteous Westerner - but I don't care. Denying people the right to self-determination, and denying people the freedom of speech or freedom to protest, will never sit right with me, or anyone else in the West. We have fought so hard to get the civil liberties we have today and it's a repellent sight to see the civil liberties we take advantage of every day being outright denied to over a billion people, and it saddens me to see Chinese propaganda trolls such as yourself defending the Chinese state regardless of what it does.

Hong Kong is too good for China.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-29-2014 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia