Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
whoever allows American troops to be stationed on their land should just be part of America and stop pretending to be independent countries. How pathetic.
Yeah, Germany, Japan, Italy, the UK, the Netherlands, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Canada should all be part of America.

Imagine what China'd have to say if such thing happened, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah, Germany, Japan, Italy, the UK, the Netherlands, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Canada should all be part of America.

Imagine what China'd have to say if such thing happened, lol.
Germany, Japan and Italy are war losers and forced to make concessions. They are castrated countries. You want to be neutered and told by America how much military spending you are allowed to incur? No self respecting country would. Do you want me to tell you how much you are allowed to spend on food and drinks every week?

As to the other countries, yes, they are all America's Moderator cut: language and don't deserve to be independent countries. Speaking of Saudi, you realize how hypocritical America really is for having such an politically oppressive ally with zero human rights.

China wouldn't care, wouldn't infer at all. How would Canada becoming part of the US matter? It unconditionally supports the US already anyway, what difference does it make? If at all, Canada is more anti-China than the US by a large margin. When if ever China was involved in another countries foreign policy, telling others what to do?

On the other hand, the US simply can't keep its butt out of any China's issue with its neighbours. It actually can't refrain from interfering with any nation's business.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-10-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Japan, Germany, and Italy were losers. Nobody really cares about WWII nowadays, at least people no longer focus on blaming these three countries(except for Japan). They are no longer castrated.

If all the countries out there are already tired of US being the world savior, there are steps that could be taken. They can leave NATO(France sort of did several decades ago) or tear up the defense treaties with the US, however most of the allies of the US haven't done that. There are still threats, as cheesy as it might sound, they still prefer the US to be their leaders. Simple as that.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-10-2014 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted item

Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,947 times
Quote:
Get off your moral highhorse already. You obviously don't know the whole story about ISIS. The whole thing is about nothing but America/the west wanting to get rid of the shias and keeping their sunni puppet regimes in the middle east. Why doesn't Obama want to remove the Saudi Arabian dictators who are as bad as Saddam and give the people democracy?

China only cares about its own growth. It doesn't pretend to be the saint the US always tries to play, when in fact everything the US does is not about removing the evil and protecting the innocent, but about planting puppets in countries where it considers strategically important.

Plenty of violence and killing happens in Africa. Plenty of dictatorship exists in America's Arab allies. Washington doesn't care. It only meddles when there is some good for itself. China is not stupid enough to spend billions to meddle other countries' business.
I think you are taking the comment way too seriously.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
China already proclaims to have the largest GDP, largest trading nation, etc. etc. but I still don't see countries flocking to sign military alliance treaties with Beijing, save NK (who really has no choice) and a few Afro countries who are more interested in China's check book. I also don't see millions of immigrants flocking to China's shores looking for a better life and better opportunities. Quite the reverse - Vancouver, Sydney, HK, SF, and New York receive hundreds of thousands of Chinese immigrants (investors, visa-holding students applying for green card and citizenship) every year - the announcement that China has the No. 1 GDP now has done nothing to even slow down the outflow of human capital out of China.

Also, many nations are indeed signing bilateral free trade treaties with China, but it's more of an indication that they are interested in China's $$$ and abundant labor force. Business comes first, even in democracies, and China is not the only country in the world who knows how to play the game of capitalism.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
China already proclaims to have the largest GDP, largest trading nation, etc. etc. but I still don't see countries flocking to sign military alliance treaties with Beijing, save NK (who really has no choice) and a few Afro countries who are more interested in China's check book. I also don't see millions of immigrants flocking to China's shores looking for a better life and better opportunities. Quite the reverse - Vancouver, Sydney, HK, SF, and New York receive hundreds of thousands of Chinese immigrants (investors, visa-holding students applying for green card and citizenship) every year - the announcement that China has the No. 1 GDP now has done nothing to even slow down the outflow of human capital out of China.

Also, many nations are indeed signing bilateral free trade treaties with China, but it's more of an indication that they are interested in China's $$$ and abundant labor force. Business comes first, even in democracies, and China is not the only country in the world who knows how to play the game of capitalism.
Nobody claims China possesses a high quality of life. The GDP volume is more important for the country's overall weight, power and clout, which shouldn't be underestimated either.

It is not true that the outflow of human capital hasn't changed... my personal observation shows that more and more Chinese students choose to return upon receiving American degrees. 20 years, nobody would want to make this choice. In Chinese cities, salary has gone up significantly, sometimes competitive with American wages for the high skilled people. Receiving a package of $50k in Shanghai is not that unusual.

And you are not making sense by saying countries are only interested in China's $$ when signing agreement. Who aren't? Which countries are not after money when signing trade agreement with US or Germany? It is all about the money. and do you think some agreement means friendship?? I don't know why you are getting at here.

As to military alliance, I don't think China has much of a military ambition. China only needs to defend itself and being a nuclear power, I think that's enough. It has no intention to play world cop.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Get off your moral highhorse already. You obviously don't know the whole story about ISIS. The whole thing is about nothing but America/the west wanting to get rid of the shias and keeping their sunni puppet regimes in the middle east. Why doesn't Obama want to remove the Saudi Arabian dictators who are as bad as Saddam and give the people democracy?

China only cares about its own growth. It doesn't pretend to be the saint the US always tries to play, when in fact everything the US does is not about removing the evil and protecting the innocent, but about planting puppets in countries where it considers strategically important.

Plenty of violence and killing happens in Africa. Plenty of dictatorship exists in America's Arab allies. Washington doesn't care. It only meddles when there is some good for itself. China is not stupid enough to spend billions to meddle other countries' business.
Don't forget what ISIS also is just the fundamentalist faction of the Free Syrian Army expanded into different countries. It hasn't changed. ISIS is a Western created boogeyman that China is best left to stay out of. I wouldn't doubt also that the Xinjiang terrorists in China are actually patsies recruited by the West to destabilize China. Now that I think about it, too, with the HK protests being called Occupy, and having the same result as Occupy, there are some more nefarious forces at work, here, and the HK protests were a failed "Color Revolution" as it is termed in some circles. I learned a lot about the protests and HK on here. I only learned recently that HK never had democracy to begin with. I don't like the CCP at all, simply because I know what the communist parties are like, having half of my family locked away into the arms of the USSR, but we both know that the West does not like, nor want, China to challenge the status quo of world superpower. The Soviet Union was that balancing force before, and the West does not want China to become another USSR. I think the terrorist attacks in China, the HK protests, and the whole situation with Russia today are all linked. I think the West wants to cripple President Xi and President Putin, especially after now that China has a reliable, cheap energy supply from Russia

Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Nobody claims China possesses a high quality of life. The GDP volume is more important for the country's overall weight, power and clout, which shouldn't be underestimated either.

It is not true that the outflow of human capital hasn't changed... my personal observation shows that more and more Chinese students choose to return upon receiving American degrees. 20 years, nobody would want to make this choice. In Chinese cities, salary has gone up significantly, sometimes competitive with American wages for the high skilled people. Receiving a package of $50k in Shanghai is not that unusual.

And you are not making sense by saying countries are only interested in China's $$ when signing agreement. Who aren't? Which countries are not after money when signing trade agreement with US or Germany? It is all about the money. and do you think some agreement means friendship?? I don't know why you are getting at here.

As to military alliance, I don't think China has much of a military ambition. China only needs to defend itself and being a nuclear power, I think that's enough. It has no intention to play world cop.
Calm down. Taking this way too seriously. And instead of arguing with us on C-D can't you just go back to China? I mean, as you said, it should be pretty common to find a $50K job there. Canada is clearly too backward, too inefficient, and too boring for you. Nobody, not the Canadian government, not the Province of Ontario, or the City of Toronto is begging you to stay, nor did anybody actually invite you to immigrate here in the first place.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Calm down. Taking this way too seriously. And instead of arguing with us on C-D can't you just go back to China? I mean, as you said, it should be pretty common to find a $50K job there. Canada is clearly too backward, too inefficient, and too boring for you. Nobody, not the Canadian government, not the Province of Ontario, or the City of Toronto is begging you to stay, nor did anybody actually invite you to immigrate here in the first place.
Quality of life and economic opportunities are two different things. I don't understand all this "if you argue for country X, why not go back to country X" kind of argument. Isn't that a bit childish?

Did I say it is pretty common to find a $50K job? I said it is not unusual for highly skilled. My brother in Shanghai is making more than that, so are many of my former colleagues. you seem to have an extremely outdate knowledge about China's job market.

7 years ago before I came to Canada I was already making $42K a year believe it or not, and if I hadn't left, I would be making more money than this job in Toronto. To make more money definitely is not the reason many left China.

If you really want to know why I don't want to live in China, I can give you some reasons:
  • I don't like to wait for 65 minutes every time I go to the bank or the hospital.
  • I have severe nasal allergy and my nose is mostly stuffed in Chinese cities.
  • As a pedestrian I hate to be constantly honked at by passing cars which won't even let me cross the street when it is my light.
  • I hate the utter lack of trust and "everything is for the money" kind of societal mentality. Scams are everywhere.
So I choose Canada, despite its boringness and ineffectiveness, as well as high prices and high taxes. Not because I find it to be a paradise. Nothing of it has to do with money. I am pretty sure I am worse off financially.

No Canada is not begging me to say, nor am I begging to stay. It is just my option right now, not necessarily a permanent one.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Stock markets doing fine though. Well back to China I suppose.
Why wouldn't it be? just because China is doing good doesn't mean other countries are doing bad.

When Americans are buying stuff China's economy will keep doing good, when we aren't buying stuff look at how their economy will slow.
China and Russia threatened to ruin the US economy by flooding the world markets with trillions of dollars of US government bonds, Russia was excited about this... China for obvious reasons backed out and decided not to go along with the plan.

People go ape-Moderator cut: language when talking about US debt.

"OH NO CHINA HOLDS 30 PERCENT OF OUR DEBT"

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WHEN THEY ASK FOR IT BACK AND THEY INVADE US"

USA is still sitting at such a high power that we could just basically tell China we aren't paying them back and they can't really do anything about it.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-10-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia