Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 AM

108 posts, read 114,509 times

Advertisements

In my country women are impressed by the men who speak English but this is not the only one thing that attracts women , dressing ,personality also counts. But yes speaking English is a plus plus point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I live in Asia. But, in the most inappropriate places, they come over and immediately start telling you things in English.

For example, you are eating at a restaurant with friends or your kids. Someone comes over and points and all the things at your table and says in English, 'Ketchup,' 'chicken,' 'napkins', etc. As if they are waiting for you to applaud them for their excellent English. Then they start engaging in meaningless chit-chat, when they can't understand your answers, and you'd rather be talking to the friends you've made the appointment to actually see and talk with.

Other inappropriate times are when you walking down the street, and some guy tries to prove to his friends or his date, and shouts out 'HI! Where are you from?' They laugh. Those are events simply to show others their ability to say English words, without any other function whatsoever.

Other times are when someone engages you while you are reading or studying something on the subway. They inappropriately start telling jokes or asking weird questions - 'where do you live?', 'can you use chopsticks?' - etc., all while talking loudly, trying to show to everyone else on the subway train their ability to speak English with a foreigners, etc.

It goes on and on. If it's appropriate, i.e. I ask something in English, and need a response in English to understand, than it's well-appreciated. If it just some guy trying to prove to everyone else his English ability, at my own expense. Than it's annoying.
hum, you met some mentally ill people probably. Normal people don't do that.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:05 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
hum, you met some mentally ill people probably. Normal people don't do that.
It's extremely common in South Korea, where Koreans are obsessed about using English. It's pretty much status-quo for foreigners to experience those things regularly there.

Not so common in Macau or Hong Kong though, but occasionally will meet a Mainland Chinese like that - if they speak English at all, and most Mainland Chinese don't.

Almost never have that experience with Japanese or Southeast Asians though.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's extremely common in South Korea, where Koreans are obsessed about using English. It's pretty much status-quo for foreigners to experience those things regularly there.

Not so common in Macau or Hong Kong though, but occasionally will meet a Mainland Chinese like that - if they speak English at all, and most Mainland Chinese don't.

Almost never have that experience with Japanese or Southeast Asians though.
Its common enough in Guangzhou. Many times, I've had someone come up and greet me in English and ask where I'm from, stuff like that. I've had restaurant and wait staff refuse to answer me in Chinese because they want to practice or show off their ability. Doesn't bother me much, most of the time. Some times it is a little bit obtrusive - I'm on the metro with my girlfriend sniggling into me and a girl comes up and goes, "Helloooooo where ah you from!" Or I'm visible tired, have my headphones on, and a guy waves to me until I take my headphones off and is like, "Hello, I am Simon! How are you? It is nice to meet you. What is your name?"

I try just to feed off their enthusiasm most of the time, even if I wish they'd go away

Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Its common enough in Guangzhou. Many times, I've had someone come up and greet me in English and ask where I'm from, stuff like that. I've had restaurant and wait staff refuse to answer me in Chinese because they want to practice or show off their ability. Doesn't bother me much, most of the time. Some times it is a little bit obtrusive - I'm on the metro with my girlfriend sniggling into me and a girl comes up and goes, "Helloooooo where ah you from!" Or I'm visible tired, have my headphones on, and a guy waves to me until I take my headphones off and is like, "Hello, I am Simon! How are you? It is nice to meet you. What is your name?"

I try just to feed off their enthusiasm most of the time, even if I wish they'd go away
Yep, that was pretty much standard day-to-day outside of the house, when I lived in South Korea, as well.

I initially rolled with quite well the first few years of living in South Korea, but with time, I got better at avoiding/ignoring/dealing with obtrusive types, to minimize it, as best I could.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
It is also normal in Thailand. Like those taxi drivers. When they realized you don't speak their language, they will try their very best to talk to you in English. Once in a while, gibberish talk is ok for me :lol:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia