Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should mainland China return to the usage of traditional written characters?
Yes 66 79.52%
No 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,208,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
In cantonese we say 香口膠 for gum, but also use a totally different word for blowjob that doesn't sound anything like that. Perhaps the speaker comes from a place where the local mandarin is influenced by Cantonese...
Just to confirm, the incident I posted happened in graduate school in the US. The female classmate is from the mainland, although not from a native Mandarin-speaking area. I believe from Hunan. She has been in the US for many years before that, so not sure where she picked up 口膠, or maybe she was pulling the other classmate's leg or really flirting with him. The male classmate is from Taiwan. Most of those who could understand Mandarin and overheard the conversation were from Taiwan. You can tell they could not hold their laughter but the guy who grew up in Guangzhou and could speak both Mandarin and Cantonese, did not seem to have any reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 AM

919 posts, read 842,257 times
Traditional characters are not "traditional" if we compare them to Oracle bone script.

To my eyes, both traditional characters and simplified characters are extremely simplified

Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No. The primary role of a language is to transfer ideas from one human to another as easy and efficient as possible. One of the advantages of an alphabet-like system is the fact that you can write down a word or a concept that is unfamiliar. For example, if two Chinese farmers meet, can they write down a word that they heard about in common speech but never saw written down? The answer is no, in hieroglyphic systems you can't do that.
I have heard that the average scores that Germans got on German spelling test are extremely low. Does anyone know if it's true?

Old 07-03-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
일 can mean day, work, or one (Sino-Korean). The word next to it tells you which meaning it is. 일년 doesn't mean one work or one day, it means one year.
Off topic, but il + nyoen = illyoen, you write "n" but pronounce it as "l", is not that scientific writing system to my eyes.

As I know the phenomenon of assimilation, I am not talking phonetically here. Phonetically it makes perfect sense.

By the way, you can use IPA if you want scientific one.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
in hieroglyphic (logographic) systems such as traditional Chinese, Egyptian, Sumerian Cuneiform, or Mayan.
Have you learned those languages?

Egyptian hieroglyphs (/ˈhaɪər.ɵɡlɪf/ hyr-o-glif; Egyptian: mdw·w-nṯr, "god's words") were a formal writing system used by the ancient Egyptians that combined logographic and alphabetic elements. You should read the Phonetic reading section.

Most Chinese characters also have alphabetic elements.

青 = qing, can be an alphabetic element

請 is a combination of 言 and 青, 青 represents the pronunciation of qing, so 請 as a whole is read as qing too.

清 = 水+青 = 水+qing = qing
情 = 心+青 = 心+qing = qing
晴 = 日+青 = 日+qing = qing
蜻 = 蟲+青 = 蟲+qing = qing

Old 07-03-2015, 08:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,989,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Have you learned those languages?

Egyptian hieroglyphs (/ˈhaɪər.ɵɡlɪf/ hyr-o-glif; Egyptian: mdw·w-nṯr, "god's words") were a formal writing system used by the ancient Egyptians that combined logographic and alphabetic elements. You should read the Phonetic reading section.

Most Chinese characters also have alphabetic elements.

青 = qing, can be an alphabetic element

請 is a combination of 言 and 青, 青 represents the pronunciation of qing, so 請 as a whole is read as qing too.

清 = 水+青 = 水+qing = qing
情 = 心+青 = 心+qing = qing
晴 = 日+青 = 日+qing = qing
蜻 = 蟲+青 = 蟲+qing = qing
Off topic, btu which nationality are you?

Old 07-03-2015, 10:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,147,334 times
I am completely clueless on this (and many other things) but voted "No" because I always root for the underdog.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:56 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,758,378 times
It is stupid to ask a bunch of foreigners what written language China should use.

I should post a poll asking "should Americans learn to speak British English?" and see how they respond. :P

Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,899,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is stupid to ask a bunch of foreigners what written language China should use.

I should post a poll asking "should Americans learn to speak British English?" and see how they respond. :P
Go for it. No one would care.

Why do you get butthurt so easily when it comes to foreigners discussing China?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Off topic, btu which nationality are you?
I am a native Japanese. No relatives of mine can speak Chinese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia