Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 AM

653 posts, read 743,260 times

Advertisements

do any of you feel attachment to the place you grew up in?

Housing in Singapore is really limited (I have no idea why western expats in Singapore keep saying we live in cheap housing when it is not).

My current flat which I stayed with in my parents is really small, it is a 99-year lease and there are about 69 years left, but my parents keep saying that they want to sell it, move out ; which is something that i don't want to do.

Does it makes sense if I buy the flat directly from my parents and out it under my name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 04:53 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times
Hi

I guess only true blue born and bred singaporeans like myself know what you are talking about here. Ha ha

Anyway i think it makes sense if you buy the flat from your parents and out under your name. If your parents are agreeable and you like the flat and want to continue staying in it after your parents pass away..

Just curious is it a 3 room flat or ?

Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hi

I guess only true blue born and bred singaporeans like myself know what you are talking about here. Ha ha

Anyway i think it makes sense if you buy the flat from your parents and out under your name. If your parents are agreeable and you like the flat and want to continue staying in it after your parents pass away..

Just curious is it a 3 room flat or ?
Oh my, I am so sorry, I just saw my above post and it is a typo error! I have no idea why I typed "small". Actually, it is a HDB masionette, and they don't build them in Singapore anymore. I spent my entire life there, since I was 2. I don't mind paying my parents for that house - I have been saving and scrimping since for my entire life. Only problem is if I buy it as a resale, I can't do BTO.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 PM

63 posts, read 67,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post

Housing in Singapore is really limited (I have no idea why western expats in Singapore keep saying we live in cheap housing when it is not).

My current flat which I stayed with in my parents is really small, it is a 99-year lease and there are about 69 years left, but my parents keep saying that they want to sell it, move out ; which is something that i don't want to do.

Does it makes sense if I buy the flat directly from my parents and out it under my name?
"Cheap" is because they comparing the housing in cities i.e NYC small studio with 900sf cost USD2-3mil or if in London studio unit around GBP600-800 or so.

OR, the "Cheap" means the quality, designs or layout and facilities in the apartment/condo - is look cheap, not the price...

Here (US) apartment is like the superlink in Singapore or Malaysia, normal house here is like the Bungalow; Semi-D in Malaysia and Singapore, they call as townhome or apartment unit.

p.s. I am from Malaysia but been work at Singapore for 2 years

Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 AM

64 posts, read 74,859 times
Quote:

I thought that Singaporeans have their awesome public housing?
At least it's not like in Hong Kong that you can 'rent' a bed inside a toilet at a 'reasonable' price of 2.2k HKD.
(related link of what that thing looks like)

Quote:

BTW if you have the cash in the first place why don't you just purchase the new flat for your parent (be it under their name or yours) and keep the old one yourself?
I guess there will be quite some tax and stamp duty to pay if you legally buy it from your family.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowu5 View Post
I thought that Singaporeans have their awesome public housing?
At least it's not like in Hong Kong that you can 'rent' a bed inside a toilet at a 'reasonable' price of 2.2k HKD.
(related link of what that thing looks like)

BTW if you have the cash in the first place why don't you just purchase the new flat for your parent (be it under their name or yours) and keep the old one yourself?
I guess there will be quite some tax and stamp duty to pay if you legally buy it from your family.
Compared to Singapore, Hong Kong's public housing situation is really quite bad; there was a documentary on it and I wondered how could the present Hong kong government have possibly allowed the situation to gotten to such a bad stage.

Hong Kong is so much more advanced in Singapore in many ways, especially in banking and finance, and I have always found Hong Kongers that I have met to be very entrepreneurial and ambitious in life, very business-savvy. that is sometime I admire. The only area of problem is public housing.

"if you have the cash in the first place why don't you just purchase the new flat for your parent (be it under their name or yours) and keep the old one yoursel"

It is a little bit more complicated than that.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 03-19-2015 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
I wondered how could the present Hong kong government have possibly allowed the situation to gotten to such a bad stage.
China.

And Singapore's housing is much better than many places. Soooooooooo much better tbh, especially compares to Hong Kong and Taipei.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
As i've gotten older, i certainly miss Taipei...good memories of childhood there. Dont miss Saigon that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia