Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

Have you seen this? It's long (1h 40 min) but well worth watching all the way through. It's very compelling and thought-provoking, whether you're Chinese or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM

The beginning is a bit cut off. English subtitles are available, just click the "CC" button.

It lasted for a few days on Chinese social media before being banned - and of course YouTube is blocked in China, so as it stands, people in China can't legally view it anymore.

Which is a shame, because its message of citizen involvement and participation could, if adopted by enough people, make a real difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Dont worry. The cat's out of the bag. The Chinese government either gets serious about this and clean up the mess, or gets overthrown.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I watched this on NPR about a month ago and 1/3 of the way through the subtitles disappeared so I was unable to finish. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Dont worry. The cat's out of the bag. The Chinese government either gets serious about this and clean up the mess, or gets overthrown.
I doubt the government will be overthrown any time soon. People already knew about this before the documentary. Why do you think so many people try to emigrate from China?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I doubt the government will be overthrown any time soon. People already knew about this before the documentary. Why do you think so many people try to emigrate from China?
China government has done things 100 times worse than this (e.g. Great Leap Forward, Cultural Revolution...) and it was not overthrown.

China is making big progress in economic development so most people are still confident about the future.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China government has done things 100 times worse than this (e.g. Great Leap Forward, Cultural Revolution...) and it was not overthrown.

China is making big progress in economic development so most people are still confident about the future.
In the past, the Chines people were not well educated, nor were they connected and organized. Today, more are better informed and there are growing movements for environment protection and the technology exists for the Chinese to rally together, despite the Great Firewall. Sure China can still try to control what people read, but you cannot hide air poison, or avoid seeing the black muck in the water. It's either the Chinese government get serious about fixing the environment, or they wont have a country to run.

Don't think I wish this on China. I am simply noting what China faces.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
In the past, the Chines people were not well educated, nor were they connected and organized. Today, more are better informed and there are growing movements for environment protection and the technology exists for the Chinese to rally together, despite the Great Firewall. Sure China can still try to control what people read, but you cannot hide air poison, or avoid seeing the black muck in the water. It's either the Chinese government get serious about fixing the environment, or they wont have a country to run.

Don't think I wish this on China. I am simply noting what China faces.
Every Chinese knows China is heavily polluted. It has nothing to do with the Firewall.
The Firewall only prevents attempts of organizing people to carry out some activities.

On the other hand, it is also true that all major developing countries are heavily polluted (unless there is no industry): India, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt ... But this is something people tend to ignore when they criticize China.

I think in China some people are patient, waiting for change. Others lost the patience. So we will see how it develops.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:00 PM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Every Chinese knows China is heavily polluted. It has nothing to do with the Firewall.
The Firewall only prevents attempts of organizing people to carry out some activities.

On the other hand, it is also true that all major developing countries are heavily polluted (unless there is no industry): India, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt ... But this is something people tend to ignore when they criticize China.

I think in China some people are patient, waiting for change. Others lost the patience. So we will see how it develops.
it is true that China is facing a very serious environmental crisis. However, if there is any government that can tackle this crisis, it is China's government. They have the experience and will to undertake mega-projects such as these; example, 3 gorges dam; they may soon come up with a national plan to tackle this problem.

The problem is whether the tycoons, the multi-billionaires, the industrialists can be reined in to prevent their industries from further polluting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia