Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM

622 posts, read 527,326 times

Advertisements

This is such a sad picture. This poor little girl's pet dog called Flower had gone missing several days before and she had been searching in vain for the animal. Then she had passed by a food stall and recognized the cooked animal immediately as her missing pet.

Vietnam has no respect for animals and eat both cats and dogs which is why I will never go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Same in Korea.

They eat a very certain kind of dog as well. Looks like the same kind of dog as in that Vietnam picture.

But, in Korea, a lot of dog-owners over the last decade or two, all kinds of different breeds. They wouldn't eat any dog though, usually those generic brown dogs, just like that Vietnam one.

I wonder if Vietnam is the same way, just certain kinds of dogs.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 AM

338 posts, read 335,192 times
Don't they have a standard breed for eating which they raise? The conditions for those dogs are horrific as well, are they trying to deliberately treat them worse than other animals raised for food? Why would one treat a cow better than a dog when raising them for meat? Why?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 AM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Vietnam has no respect for animals and eat both cats and dogs which is why I will never go there.
I really don't understand why some people find eating cats and dogs so inhuman, but are totally okay with eating pigs or cows or sheep or rabbit. What is different between raising and slaughtering dogs for food and raising and slaughtering pigs? Cows are practically sacred for many Hindus, yet most of the world still eats beef without thinking twice about it.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 AM

722 posts, read 1,329,100 times
Default dog meat festival in China

here's how popular dog meat is in China, they even have a dog meat festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589NAoC9Q6Y
Attached Thumbnails
Heartrending moment five year old girl finds her missing pet dog cooked on Vietnamese food stall-2015-03-30_081347.jpg  

Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Don't get me going on the barbaric palate of the East Asians on general. It's not just dogs and cats, but endangered animals and their parts, like fins, horns, tusks and meats. At this point, dogs and cats are at least not endangered. Within a decade, most of the elephants from Kenya and South Africa would disappear due to illegal poaching to feed the illicit trade in ivory in China....

Many who eat dogs in Korea and China like their dog meat really "strong" flavor, and they make sure of it by beating the dog and torturing it right before they slaughter it....

To be fair, many in China and Korea do not eat dogs, and pet ownership is going through the roof in China. Check out the most expensive dog in the world....

Generally speaking, the Chinese, especially, are about a century behind the West when it comes to civilized behavior. What can you do but to constantly shame them into improving themselves? The good thing is that they love face, and embarrassing them in public, or using the threat to embarrass them in public is the best way to make them change. This is true with the Chinese people as well as with the Chinese government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLBzjNlp1Ak

Last edited by pennyone; 03-30-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
here's how popular dog meat is in China, they even have a dog meat festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589NAoC9Q6Y
China is much more diverse than America (or other countries ) in terms of food. 95% places in China never have dog meat festivals. Just trying to help you understand the situation. It's actually very difficult to find dog meat in a market.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I really don't understand why some people find eating cats and dogs so inhuman, but are totally okay with eating pigs or cows or sheep or rabbit. What is different between raising and slaughtering dogs for food and raising and slaughtering pigs? Cows are practically sacred for many Hindus, yet most of the world still eats beef without thinking twice about it.
I feel the same way actually, humans only protect animals they want to protect, though I still find dogs hanging around on the streets gross. I guess we are all socialized to a certain extent.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:03 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I think because many people feel a bond to their pet dogs or cats. In many families dogs are treated as a family member and seen as such they are truly loved and cherished. I have two dogs and would be much more upset of one of them died than one of my extended family members that I rarely see. It is a completely different way of thinking, when one of my dogs looks me in the eye with it's tail wagging I see pure love, trust and no judgement their only goal is to make me happy, I know they will never stab me in the back, whereas human beings don't love unconditionally and are self serving. The human dog bond when well established is unique dogs will often choose humans over their own species.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:23 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I think because many people feel a bond to their pet dogs or cats. In many families dogs are treated as a family member and seen as such they are truly loved and cherished. I have two dogs and would be much more upset of one of them died than one of my extended family members that I rarely see. It is a completely different way of thinking, when one of my dogs looks me in the eye with it's tail wagging I see pure love, trust and no judgement their only goal is to make me happy, I know they will never stab me in the back, whereas human beings don't love unconditionally and are self serving. The human dog bond when well established is unique dogs will often choose humans over their own species.
Yes, but I think many animals can develop those bonds with their familiar humans.For example, my parrot is extremely attached to me, and will defend me from practically anyone or thing. Dogs are wonderful and I would never eat them, but they are pack animals, wired to look up to the alpha, and bred to obey and love us unconditionally. I don't think they make any real "choice" so much as they are hard wired to be loyal and obedient (at least most of them anyway).

Yes it's cultural, but something about a scrawny Chinese man chopping up a dead dog, all the while yelling and spitting with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth just bothers me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia