Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,987,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos know they're Asian and they talk about being Asian all day.
Not according to some Filpinos on here in the past. Some of them were convinced they were Hispanic. Sorry, no, you're all Asian to this Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,766,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not according to some Filpinos on here in the past. Some of them were convinced they were Hispanic. Sorry, no, you're all Asian to this Latino.
For the past decade, people in the Philippines have been heavily influenced by media from other Asian countries, especially Korea. There's also the ASEAN which is up-and-coming. So Filipinos are very proud to call themselves Asian nowadays. But at the end of the day, being Asian is not a cultural group or an ethnicity. Being Asian is about geography only. Hispanics have a shared history, language, culture and religion (for the most part). Different Asian groups share none of those things, so you're comparing apples and oranges with those terms.

If we're going to talk about the groups that Filipinos are most similar to culturally, they are IMO, in this order: Chamorros (a Pacific Island group), Indonesians & Malays, Mexicans, Chinese, and Americans. So clearly Filipinos aren't just culturally related to other Asian groups

Old 04-03-2015, 11:28 PM

782 posts, read 1,089,204 times
Gotta love the way posters stay on topic.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:55 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,485,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Filipinos DO have national pride and DO love being Filipino. They really have NO issues with that whatsoever.

They marry outward, because culturally and linguistically, they have WAY FEWER issues doing so. Not only that, but they have an enormous support base almost everywhere abroad, with communities all over the world, for them to talk, share, support each other.

There is also nothing wrong with having mixed children, or husbands who are of a different ethnicity. It doesn't mean they hate their own. They love their fellow Filipino, and they love being Filipino.

To me, they are really bettering themselves. Tons and tons of lower-class and lower sociocultural economic backgrounds are jumping way up there, sometimes marrying men with way more money then themselves could have ever had dreamed of. Go to Hong Kong, and you WILL definitely see expat banker types and money expat types, many of which somehow have to come into some situation where they have a Filipina come into their life.

In some ways, I see Filipinas as maybe being like 'the new Irish' in that 100-200 years from now, tons of people from around the world, will have a little Filipino blood in them. And there is no lack of love of Ireland, by any of the gazillion that left Ireland and intermarried everywhere else throughout the world with non-Irish.
Being Irish I don't really see the connection. Ireland suffered a devastating famine in the mid-1800s and was also controlled by Britain so people had no choice but to immigrate on coffin-ships to have any chance of survival. The Irish went to countries controlled by the British Empire. Just a totally different scenario.

On the topic from what I've seen Filipinas are mostly very genuine and a lot of the marriages are successful.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:53 AM

622 posts, read 528,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry2 View Post
Hello all,
One of my best friends has been trying to find a good woman here in the US and got discouraged. He has b been divorced 5 years, kind of a shy, homebody-type, but a good guy nonetheless. He has a app on his phone and somehow started video chatting with a women from the Philippines. Well, it has been two months of "constant" (as he says) video chatting and he is "in love". He is posting, "she is my life, my everything" with pics on FB. My friend- who has never traveled within the US really, is now going on a trip to the Philippines for two weeks, during which time he plans to ask this woman to marry him. He is convinced she is "not a scam" because she has never asked for money, but asked him to bring her a "ruby ring" when he goes over to meet her. He also said she is "still married" but says in the Philippines they get an "annulment" not a divorce". I did some research- I found her on a Denmark chatting website, with a different age (45, not 42 as my friend shared) and it states she is "married". (Although I do not know how old this profile was). My fried has issues with jealousy and I know if she has been telling other men she "loves" them he will be crushed. (She has already changed her Facebook alias to his last name as well) She has over 500 "friends" on FB and many seem to be men from other countries.

I am very worried about him- he so desperately wants to be loved he has isolated himself and is unwilling to consider this may or may not be real, not to mention he is so "in love" he has not thought about the impact of language barriers, culture shock, the impact of dating a women from a developing nation, etc.
Other than the obvious answer, "oh well, it's his life, you can't stop him", any sage advice I might share with him, maybe, from someone who has had this experience?
He's crazy. Why would he want to marry somebody he hasn't even met, never mind that she's already hooked up with someone.

I think your friend is just downright lazy and is the type of individual who thinks the world owes him a living. He needs to get out more, go on a foreign vacation somewhere or even in the US.

Also, if this woman has 500+ men on her books, she's most likely a hooker looking for another naive fish to snare.

Tell him not to waste his time and certainly not his money (which is probably all she's really after).

Old 04-04-2015, 07:08 AM

12,416 posts, read 8,209,684 times
Quote:
For the past decade, people in the Philippines have been heavily influenced by media from other Asian countries, especially Korea. There's also the ASEAN which is up-and-coming. So Filipinos are very proud to call themselves Asian nowadays. But at the end of the day, being Asian is not a cultural group or an ethnicity. Being Asian is about geography only. Hispanics have a shared history, language, culture and religion (for the most part). Different Asian groups share none of those things, so you're comparing apples and oranges with those terms.

If we're going to talk about the groups that Filipinos are most similar to culturally, they are IMO, in this order: Chamorros (a Pacific Island group), Indonesians & Malays, Mexicans, Chinese, and Americans. So clearly Filipinos aren't just culturally related to other Asian groups
More importantly Asian or not the Filipino culture is not a culture which looks down on those from another side of a line on a political map or speak another language. They do not call their kids "dust" should one parent be French or American and look slightly different than the majority. No matter what the mix of parental DNA from the islands, China, Spain and West Africa by way of America they are all Filipino

Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 PM

782 posts, read 1,089,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think there is something wrong in the education and culture of the Philippines.

It is true that many Asians have such mentalities, but it seems to me that the Philippines is an extreme. The media, the schools, and the politicians should do something to promote your national pride, including pride in your race and your own identity.

Something wrong with filipino culture, to an extreme? Really?

Your statement could not be further from the truth.

Filipinos are intelligent, and have a high sense of pride in themselves and their country. Compared to the west, they are kinder and more forgiving. They don't make mountains out of molehills nearly as often. They handle difficulties/daily chores - seldom with complaint, often times with smiles and song.

I live there - I should know.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM

64 posts, read 75,119 times
I think OP's concern has nothing to do with Philippines but with the fact that a man with no previous experience in handling relations being over-passionated in a woman that he never met in real life.
It could be an Ethiopian, German or even just a local American lady and the problem is still there.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,299,896 times
Quote:

Being majority catholics doesnt meant that Filipinos are not culturally related to Asia.

that is just one aspect of culture

Old 04-06-2015, 01:11 AM

647 posts, read 1,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Being majority catholics doesnt meant that Filipinos are not culturally related to Asia.

that is just one aspect of culture
They are part of the Malay race or austronesians.
Malay race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is their race. Race is not ethnicity. Ethnicity means factors like language, religion, culture. Race is something you can see in the mirror.

In Asia, Filipinos are most well known as maids and singers. There are even comic characters in Singapore in the character of a Filipino maid..called Leticia Bongnino. They are ridiculed esp for their distinctive accent http://youtu.be/ZqV-ux4yPk4 watch this clip
Filipinos are all over Singapore and Hong Kong working as domestic maids. There are over 400,000 of them in Hong Kong working as maids. In Singapore because the Filipino accent is ingrained in society as that of a maid, the Filipino accent is interchangeable as a "maid's accent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia