Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 AM

549 posts, read 722,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
China isn't justified in taking the South China Sea but it is in their interest to do so due to its strategic importance. The countries surrounding the South China Sea are weak both economically and militarily so China's time is limited since these countries might grow both militarily and economically in the future and provide more of a challenge. They (China) are doing the right thing for their country since they are a country of 1.3 billion and they need the resources. Whether they are violating international law doesn't really matter since a lot of countries such as Israel violate international law with no repercussion. China already has an arms embargo anyways and the West isn't interested in pursuing any other sanctions since the business leaders would be very angry (imagine how mad Sheldon Adelson would be if he loses a license in Macau as a form of retaliation).
Good post, I figured about the same but wanted to make sure I wasn't reading into the tea leaves too much.

In my opinion, this saga has about the same story line as the US intervening in the Middle East, no justification but plenty more reasons to do it than not.

For the record, I'm a American but don't wholly support our government's actions around the globe as they are not justified in my opinion but there certainly are plenty of ways to reason it that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Good post, I figured about the same but wanted to make sure I wasn't reading into the tea leaves too much.

In my opinion, this saga has about the same story line as the US intervening in the Middle East, no justification but plenty more reasons to do it than not.

For the record, I'm a American but don't wholly support our government's actions around the globe as they are not justified in my opinion but there certainly are plenty of ways to reason it that way.

Is America willing to lose the entire Middle East? Moving 60% of the naval assets to the Pacific won't cut it to deter China from seizing the South China Sea. The difference between China and the Soviet Union is that China is concentrating almost all of its military assets to its eastern seaboard while the Soviet Union was spread out throughout the world. The US is going to have to make some deep sacrifices to successfully contain China because the current moves are not doing much. The sacrifices will most likely mean the US will have to relinquish its role as a "global policeman" and concentrate on the Western Pacific. Do you really see any American politician or demographic group agreeing to this? Do you really think Christian Zionists are going to be happy ignoring Israel in favor of America's Asian allies?

You can argue that Chinese arms are inferior to Americans arms but it doesn't make a difference because the differences aren't as great as they used to be. If you had a rifle, would you prefer to confront a man with a knife or a man with a pistol? The Chinese have upgraded from a knife to a pistol and are far more dangerous militarily than they were even ten years ago.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:32 PM

I don't think the politicians would want to lose the entire Middle East as there are too many variables involved. (energy, money, transport, security, etc.)

As for the SCS, I assume that the Western politicians seek to create a straw ballot to see how much of an impact on China's growing military expansion it can check collectively. Honestly, I don't see it making a difference unless unilateral economic sanctions are imposed and I can't see that happening either since there are also too many people with too much money at risk.

Mindless drivel off\

So with that being said, it will be a grandstanding issue by everyone involved with no real actions taken. After all, politicians both at home and abroad need to have a threat (China v US) in place. It helps secure their position.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think the politicians would want to lose the entire Middle East as there are too many variables involved. (energy, money, transport, security, etc.)

As for the SCS, I assume that the Western politicians seek to create a straw ballot to see how much of an impact on China's growing military expansion it can check collectively. Honestly, I don't see it making a difference unless unilateral economic sanctions are imposed and I can't see that happening either since there are also too many people with too much money at risk.

Mindless drivel off\

So with that being said, it will be a grandstanding issue by everyone involved with no real actions taken. After all, politicians both at home and abroad need to have a threat (China v US) in place. It helps secure their position.
You are correct. There is also the option of increasing military spending to deal with both problems although in this climate (and in the future), this is close to politically impossible since it means increasing taxes (which will infuriate the businesses) or cutting social spending (which will infuriate the lower and middle class). Tough choice for the US all around. The whole sending the US navy to confront China in the SCS is just political posturing to Japan and the Philippines but I think anyone who actually follows politics will realize it is an empty gesture that won't do anything to deter China. I laugh whenever I read conservatives blame Obama for not confronting China when they acquiesced to Chinese demands back when Bush was in power since they didn't want to anger business conservatives.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
You are correct. There is also the option of increasing military spending to deal with both problems although in this climate (and in the future), this is close to politically impossible since it means increasing taxes (which will infuriate the businesses) or cutting social spending (which will infuriate the lower and middle class). Tough choice for the US all around. The whole sending the US navy to confront China in the SCS is just political posturing to Japan and the Philippines but I think anyone who actually follows politics will realize it is an empty gesture that won't do anything to deter China. I laugh whenever I read conservatives blame Obama for not confronting China when they acquiesced to Chinese demands back when Bush was in power since they didn't want to anger business conservatives.
After typing that, I rode up to the grocery store. On my ride back home I thought to myself that however unlikely a military conflict would be (popularity) in both countries...

..both economies could use the potential boost from such an idiotic move.

I'll leave it there as I'll never sell a group of wealthy desperate idiots short of anything.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
After typing that, I rode up to the grocery store. On my ride back home I thought to myself that however unlikely a military conflict would be (popularity) in both countries...

..both economies could use the potential boost from such an idiotic move.

I'll leave it there as I'll never sell a group of wealthy desperate idiots short of anything.

I would love to meet the POTUS/politician who could successfully convince Apple shareholders and Sheldon Adelson that losing close to 50-80% of their wealth (Apple's stock doubled after the iPhone was cleared to enter China while Adelson makes almost all his income from Macau) is in their interest.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 3,755 times
Mine your own business, if you can do as well as you request others

Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novatolv View Post
Mine your own business, if you can do as well as you request others
Who are you talking to? A certain poster or the thread in general?
If you are making a general statement on the topic - This is the Asian forum, Asian's post here, or expats, or business people with critical work in the area - it is there business. Get a bit more posting history under your belt before you tell the good people here to mind there own business.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Philippines fortifies sea claim with 300-year-old map

compare that to "historical claim" of China beginning only after WWII

Philippines fortifies sea claim with 300-year-old map - CNN Philippines

Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Philippines fortifies sea claim with 300-year-old map

compare that to "historical claim" of China beginning only after WWII

Philippines fortifies sea claim with 300-year-old map - CNN Philippines
sounds like Guam, doesn't it?
But you wouldn't care, would you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia