Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:34 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Correction: most people are too dumb to know that politics will affect their money-making and children-raising endeavors, thus do not care about politics.
Actually Taiwanese may be an exception.
My impression is that Taiwanese people are all highly interested in politics, compared to westerners and other Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
They maintained their independence which is why a lot of people consider it somewhat of a victory for Finland. That said, Finland was also known throughout the Cold War for acceding to much of the Soviet Union's demands so that it can maintain its independence and neutrality. This is infamously known as Finlandization and strange enough it is something that China wants in much of Asia (and personally I think they are succeeding with South Korea on this). Off topic, but notice that South Korea is never considered a part of the China containment policy. The media usually puts Japan, Vietnam, the Philippines, and India as being important partners for containing China but conspicuously leave out South Korea. I think this is more or less a recognition by the United States that South Korea will be neutral in any Sino-American conflict with the exception of North Korea.

the Chinese asked the South Koreans not to sell lead in trainer jets to the Philippines..they declined..

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the Chinese asked the South Koreans not to sell lead in trainer jets to the Philippines..they declined..
That trainer is hardly indigenous technology and of course South Korea is going to sell the jets since they need the cash. I also said that the country is becoming Finlandized not that it is Finlandized. South Korea has also taken a neutral stance on the South China Sea. South Korea also hasn't made any statement on the Senkaku Islands since they also have a dispute with Japan and thus in some ways implicitly supports China when it comes to the Senkaku Islands. Face it, the US pivot to Asia is a joke and isn't going to displace China in any way from its rise.

Why South Korea Is Silent on China's Moves in the South China Sea | The National Interest Blog

Old 08-07-2015, 09:58 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
only time will tell..meantime every Asian country or all countries for that matter should remember the Chinese saying "Don't ride a tiger if you don't know how to get off alive" . don't know if the US is ruing the day they accepted China into WTO..its just like exchange for 30 silvers, you get what?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
only time will tell..meantime every Asian country or all countries for that matter should remember the Chinese saying "Don't ride a tiger if you don't know how to get off alive" . don't know if the US is ruing the day they accepted China into WTO..its just like exchange for 30 silvers, you get what?
The overwhelming majority of business leaders in the US are thrilled with what happened with China's entry into the WTO. These multinational companies gained billions from the increases in their share prices and also reaped billions from gaining access to both China's labor and consumer markets. In that respect the US has done extremely well from China's entry. America has always desired access to the Chinese market and even went to war with various countries like Spain (America wanted the Philippines as a base to the Chinese market) and Japan (America did not want to be shut out from the Chinese market which led to the various embargoes and eventually WWII) to gain and maintain access to the market. Yes, America's influence is rapidly declining in Asia and it might even be eventually expelled from the Western Pacific due to China's rise but so what? That is a very small price to pay for market access whereas in the past it required devastating wars.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
They maintained their independence which is why a lot of people consider it somewhat of a victory for Finland. That said, Finland was also known throughout the Cold War for acceding to much of the Soviet Union's demands so that it can maintain its independence and neutrality. This is infamously known as Finlandization and strange enough it is something that China wants in much of Asia (and personally I think they are succeeding with South Korea on this). Off topic, but notice that South Korea is never considered a part of the China containment policy. The media usually puts Japan, Vietnam, the Philippines, and India as being important partners for containing China but conspicuously leave out South Korea. I think this is more or less a recognition by the United States that South Korea will be neutral in any Sino-American conflict with the exception of North Korea.
I don't think South Korea is Finlandised at all. If anyone, it's Taiwan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Actually Taiwanese may be an exception.
My impression is that Taiwanese people are all highly interested in politics, compared to westerners and other Asians.
What makes you think that Westerners are not highly interested in politics? Many protests in Europe are well above the level of violence here, strikes take place in Britain, France, Germany, Belgium all the time, and American discuss Obama and Hilary, support or oppose, like they are obsessed with them. Taiwanese are rather moderate in this regard, or at least are not much different than people from other countries.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think South Korea is Finlandised at all. If anyone, it's Taiwan.

What makes you think that Westerners are not highly interested in politics? Many protests in Europe are well above the level of violence here, strikes take place in Britain, France, Germany, Belgium all the time, and American discuss Obama and Hilary, support or oppose, like they are obsessed with them. Taiwanese are rather moderate in this regard, or at least are not much different than people from other countries.
I am not talking about the way protests are carried out. I mean, people's general level of interest in discussing and participating.

For example, the voter turnout rate in the US for the general election 2014 was only 36.6%. I would imagine Taiwanese people are much more willing to participate in election.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:10 AM

3 posts, read 2,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
China shamelessly claims various parts of India, and so far has gotten away with absorbing some of that territory (Aksai Chin). Watch for a war with India over Arunachal Pradesh. China's extending the Lhasa railway into their side of the border with AP, to move troops into the region. China seems to be using Tibet to claim more and more territory in the Himalayan region; they're arguing that all of what historically was part of Tibet or the Tibetan empire should belong to China. By that reckoning, even Bengal would be Chinese.
If Aksai Chin should belongs to india? then dose that mean india should become part of Britain again since the "The Johnson line" was on 1865, but India only became independant in 1947?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I don't wish to be polemical here, but how is it more "shameless" than Britain claiming Pitcairn and the Chagos islands (notice I didn't even mention the Falklands), France New Caledonia, Reunion island, Guadalupe, Martinique, the US Guam and Porto Rico etc ? explain please.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I don't wish to be polemical here, but how is it more "shameless" than Britain claiming Pitcairn and the Chagos islands (notice I didn't even mention the Falklands), France New Caledonia, Reunion island, Guadalupe, Martinique, the US Guam and Porto Rico etc ? explain please.
Who else will claim Reunion, Guadeloupe and Martinique?

I think New Caledonia and Puerto Rico will be independent eventually.

Pitcairn Islands doesn't even have 100 people

Without the U.S. Guam would be speaking Japanese today.

Falkland and Chagos Islands are a difficult story.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia