Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:15 AM

317 posts, read 373,686 times

Advertisements

Been working and teaching here in China for 9 months now and curious as to how Taiwan is different from Mainland China

1) How are prices different between the two (I live in Tianjin) so let's say I were to compare it to Taipei.

2) Are both cities Chinese exclusive - is it rare to find an English speaking taxi driver for example?

3) How open friendly are people in both places to foreigners?

4) Are there more opportunities in one over the other (it seems there are many many opportunities to work in China for foreign teachers) How do salaries compare?

5) How does cleanliness compare? Is there a similar level of smoking and spitting? I know pollution levels are worse in Northern China compared to the south.

Xie xie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 AM

349 posts, read 488,678 times
I've visited both countries, and indeed both cities. Yes, I have been to Tianjin, but just for a day.

Taiwan is a first world or semi-first world country. I'd say in almost every criteria except wages it's on par with almost any first world country. It felt similar to Japan to me, just the urban layout, level of development. In many ways it's quite hi-tech and advanced with a very modern feel. Companies like HTC and ASUS are from Taiwan, and it manufactures a lot of electronic components. Plus you have the High speed rail (like the Japanese Shinkansen) whisking you from north to south in 90 minutes. Despite this, prices in Taiwan are lower than you'd expect. Taipei is quite a bit pricier than cities like Taichung or Kaohsiung, though. For instance you can find a good hotel in Kaohsiung for $50 a night, which would cost $100 in Taipei. You can find a really filling delicious meal in Taipei for US $2-3, and there's streetfood galore.

I found the level of English in Taiwan higher than China in general, especially among young people in Taipei. I mean it's still not like some countries, but a lot of young people will speak basic English, and be keen to converse with you. You'll see English language schools everywhere.

I found the Taiwanese pretty friendly: in many ways they seem culturally in between China and Japan. While their culture is more Chinese, they're quite polite, orderly, courteous like the Japanese. Lining up for the train, for instance, which is not something you'll often find in China. Taiwan is probably the most truly tolerant, progressive nation in Asia. For instance they held Asia's first pride parade and are considering same sex marriage. There's also a vibrant arts scene there.

Can't really say. Both are booming economically. The demand for English teachers in both is high.

Taipei is a clean city in most parts, though in some parts it has a sort of gritty feel that you'd find more in Hong Kong or even Bangkok. The architecture is a mix of a lot of post-war modernist mid 20th century and modern architecture, not a lot of old architecture. Mostly the many temples. It's a very vibrant, lively and safe city with many opportunities for day trips. The MRT is easy to get around, with English signage, announcements everywhere. Pollution can be a problem, but is certainly a lot less than Beijing or Tianjin. In both Beijing and Tianjin visibility was very low, we could often stare the sun directly on a 'sunny' day and everything was bathed in a yellowish smog.

Taiwan is an amazing place to visit and presumably the live. Amazing natural scenery, interesting aboriginal culture, vibrant, high-tech cities, delicious food, friendly people, very livable! Loved it.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
1) Taiwan is dirt cheap by European or American standard but it's probably not much cheaper than China. Perhaps cheaper than say Shanghai though.

2)Forget about taxi drivers, they don't speak English. Try students if you need directions.

3)I'm a local so obviously I can't comment on how friendly or open people are to foreigners. Let's just say foreigners tend to be left unnoticed on metro 99% of the time in Taipei, if that's what you're asking.

4)Working opportunities are pathetic here. Stick to China or move to Singapore if you want those.

5)Miles better than China, not on the level of Japan or Norway but I wouldn't call Taiwan dirty per se.

Anyway try Forumosa if you are really interested. The site has almost everything an expat in Taiwan needs to know.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-25-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 12:46 PM

440 posts, read 662,139 times
Taiwan is among the cheapest places in developed countries, but income level is also among the lowest. Taiwan is now just slightly cheaper than Shanghai, Shenzhen and maybe Beijing, which are increasingly expensive.

Addresses in English are not easily understood. Have your destinations in traditional Chinese characters when communicating with taxi drivers in Taiwan, as in Mainland China. Spoken Mandarin can be easily misunderstood unless you speak perfect Taiwanese Mandarin. Some Chinese words are pronounced differently in Taiwan.

There are always some people who are interested to foreigners in Asian countries. Those who start a conversation with you are however minority in most Asian countries. Asian are in general shy even with their own people from the same country. You aren't going to be stared a lot in the cities.

Actually, Taiwan has a stronger link with the US than cities in Mainland China. Many people have lived in the US, including the whole family of Ma Ying-jeou. And Taiwanese like baseball.

As in Mainland China, there are opportunities to teach English. Taiwanese has a long history of taking TOEFL. But you can forget about other types of jobs available to foreigners or people who are not very good in Chinese.

There are many scooters on the roads, unlike Japan and Korea. Macau and Shenzhen also have a lot of scooters. Some people find Taiwan more similar to Fujian and Guangdong than Japan, Korea, HK and Singapore. The mountains are high and snow fall on them in winter, but most part of the island is warm. Taipei and Kaohsiung have some new and nicely planned areas. The people seem to be less busy and workaholic than Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, HK and Singapore.

Last edited by lokeung); 05-25-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 08:34 PM

349 posts, read 488,678 times
^ Taiwan is more expensive than China, naturally. Taipei cheaper than Shanghai? That's a surprise. I know Shanghai is richer/more expensive than anywhere else in China, but it's still ina country that's developing, while Taiwan is more 'first world' on the level of Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, or maybe a tier below it.

Naturally, since the original Hoklo are mostly from Fujianese. Since the KMT took over people from all over China have come and this can be seen in the variety of food and culture. Taiwanese people tend to be taller than those in Fujian overall, reflecting the variety of origins. Well they CAN be.

You're right, the American influence is pretty obvious. Taiwan is quite westernised in some ways. You can find places selling regional American cuisine like Louisiana or soul food in Taipei.

I'd say there is more emphasis on lifestyle now, but unfortunately from what I've heard Taiwanese are kind of workaholic, but more into leisure than say Koreans it seems.

Taipei seems more liveable than Hong Kong, but the skyline isn't very impressive. Some excellent daytrips from Taipei, like Maokong, Wulai, Pingxi/Yingge, Tamsui, Keelung.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 PM

440 posts, read 662,139 times
Being the financial center of China, and also the busiest port. Shanghai is definitely doing better than Taipei in economy, it won't suprise me if Shanghai surpass Taipei in both price and income level in the near future. There are more economic opportunities in coastal China than Taiwan, attracting many non Chinese to come, Shanghai and Beijing are now appearing to be more international in population than Taipei.

Sometimes in the past the Taiwanese were as busy as the Japanese at work, but not as much nowadays with the economy not robust as it used to be. They like to holiday in the weekends at the many destinations around the island, mountains or beaches, or visit relatives in other cities and counties. Transport is good, there is no need to drive a car from Taipei to Kenting. Scooters are popular for going to school and work.

Taipei along has a lot of influence from Mainland Chinese who came at the end of the Chinese Civil War and Taiwanese who have lived in the US.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,559 times
I agree with Taiwan feeling like Japan.

Some cool little cities all across the the island, each one with their own charm.

Formosa just feels like a higher end version of mainland PRC. Cleaner, less disgusting behavior, people are better drivers and it's a more sub tropical climate, so it has a much different feel. People there seem much more content than on the mainland.

You also don't have uneducated natives staring at you, and talking about you in Taiwan like you would experience in Mainland China. The education level seems to be much higher.

It does get humid in Taiwan being that it's an island, but there are some beautiful forests and lakes, and overall the country is more westernized than the mainland.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
I agree with Taiwan feeling like Japan.

Some cool little cities all across the the island, each one with their own charm.

Formosa just feels like a higher end version of mainland PRC. Cleaner, less disgusting behavior, people are better drivers and it's a more sub tropical climate, so it has a much different feel. People there seem much more content than on the mainland.

You also don't have uneducated natives staring at you, and talking about you in Taiwan like you would experience in Mainland China. The education level seems to be much higher.

It does get humid in Taiwan being that it's an island, but there are some beautiful forests and lakes, and overall the country is more westernized than the mainland.
That isn't necessarily a good thing.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-28-2015 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 05-25-2015, 11:36 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Taiwan: best Chinese food in Asia! Lots of expats. Nobody spying on you, following you around just because you're a Westerner.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-15-2015 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: trolling/advertising

Old 05-26-2015, 03:33 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
Since most others already answered the OP, I'll answer only #5: Taiwan is much, much cleaner compared to mainland China. I've experienced taking the high-speed rail in both Shanghai and Taipei. Shanghai Railway Station is filthy, so is Suzhou Railway Station. The restrooms there are horrible and there are actually people spitting inside the station. The train itself is not bad though, probably because the cost of the tickets are much higher than that of the ordinary train. Taipei, Taoyuan and Zuoying stations are much cleaner by comparison. The only thing I don't like in Taiwan that you won't find in China are people who chew betel/areca nuts, mostly in rural areas. They will spit these out after chewing, but it seems not that common nowadays.

When I visited Taiwan, and also Hong Kong, I still got pushed and shoved at times, and there were people who cut in line. But they are mostly mainland Chinese tourists! It gets worst in the mainland though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia