Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM

349 posts, read 490,843 times

Advertisements

Here in Australia I've met a lot of Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese doing a working holiday here for a year or two, but never Malaysians or Singaporeans. I mention those 3 because they are the only 'first world' developed countries in Asia. Singaporeans are too, and you see plenty of students, but not on working holidays. Why is that? Do we not have an agreement with them? I know it's seen as a workaholic culture, but so are those other 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:47 PM

653 posts, read 746,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Here in Australia I've met a lot of Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese doing a working holiday here for a year or two, but never Malaysians or Singaporeans. I mention those 3 because they are the only 'first world' developed countries in Asia. Singaporeans are too, and you see plenty of students, but not on working holidays. Why is that? Do we not have an agreement with them? I know it's seen as a workaholic culture, but so are those other 3.
That is strange; but there really isn't a culture of working holidays.

Not sure about Malaysia though.

But for Singapore, if you are not studying, then you should be working full-time like a bull, and not going on holidays or gap year.

I remember working holiday jobs (many of my friends worked in the F&B/service industry) during school holidays but the moment you finished studying/army, the culture expectation is that you get a full-time job ASAP.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 PM

440 posts, read 664,577 times
You can check if these two countries have agreements with other countries on working holidays or not. The US is not participating in these schemes too.

Part of the reasons they goto your country for a working holiday is the higher income they can earn in Australia for the same job than in Asia. The income of a non professional job in developed economies of Asia, including Singapore, HK, Taiwan, Korea etc is low, not significantly higher than in Mainland China or Thailand. But non professional jobs in Australia are paid more than 3 times more, attracting foreigners to work in Australia even for a short time under the Working Holiday scheme, especially when the Australian dollar was high.

Another important reason is to experience a western culture, improve their English and get some overseas work experience. But for a professional career, such overseas experiences on the CV are not highly valued by employers in Asia.

For the Japanese, few of them study overseas, therefore not as good in English and familiar with western culture, but are more likely to go overseas under the Working Holiday scheme.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
I don't think many really do WH to earn more money, it's basically just a cheaper way for "holidays". I have a friend who did WH in America and she spent all her money she earned there in those three months. She didn't even save a penny.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
You can check if these two countries have agreements with other countries on working holidays or not. The US is not participating in these schemes too.

Part of the reasons they goto your country for a working holiday is the higher income they can earn in Australia for the same job than in Asia. The income of a non professional job in developed economies of Asia, including Singapore, HK, Taiwan, Korea etc is low, not significantly higher than in Mainland China or Thailand. But non professional jobs in Australia are paid more than 3 times more, attracting foreigners to work in Australia even for a short time under the Working Holiday scheme, especially when the Australian dollar was high.

Another important reason is to experience a western culture, improve their English and get some overseas work experience. But for a professional career, such overseas experiences on the CV are not highly valued by employers in Asia.

For the Japanese, few of them study overseas, therefore not as good in English and familiar with western culture, but are more likely to go overseas under the Working Holiday scheme.
Yeah all of those reasons are very true, come to think...

It would help in the hospitality industry, though...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Young people from these Asian countries are not good at menial jobs in Australia anyway because they are well used to sitting in an air-conditioned room in front of a computer for work or computer games. Girls don't want tanned skin and don't like sweating. Westerners consider Asian guys nerdy not fit for outdoor works. In Singapore, HK, Macau and Taiwan they have those jobs done by Southeast Asians from less wealthy countries.

There is conscription in Korea ,Taiwan and Singapore. Maybe it makes the boys there more discipined. Wonder if they have had enough after conscription and still want a tired working holiday to earn higher money. Those who are professionals working in Asia may make similar money as in Working Holiday in Australia.

A young fresh accountant, working in an air-conditioned office in front of computers is a cheap professional labor regarded by both an Australian and Asian professor and earn the same as a non professional in Australia. Is boring and work long hours. Australians work shorter hours and earn higher income. But the income tax rate is higher.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Young people from these Asian countries are not good at menial jobs in Australia anyway because they are well used to sitting in an air-conditioned room in front of a computer for work or computer games. Girls don't want tanned skin and don't like sweating. Westerners consider Asian guys nerdy not fit for outdoor works. In Singapore, HK, Macau and Taiwan they have those jobs done by Southeast Asians from less wealthy countries.

There is conscription in Korea ,Taiwan and Singapore. Maybe it makes the boys there more discipined. Wonder if they have had enough after conscription and still want a tired working holiday to earn higher money. Those who are professionals working in Asia may make similar money as in Working Holiday in Australia.

A young fresh accountant, working in an air-conditioned office in front of computers is a cheap professional labor regarded by both an Australian and Asian professor and earn the same as a non professional in Australia. Is boring and work long hours. Australians work shorter hours and earn higher income. But the income tax rate is higher.
Maybe yeah because they're more well off. Same would go for a lot of Australians, who think they're above it. Well I've seen some Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese girls working hard picking fruit and doing other agricultural jobs. I'm seeing more Chinese working in construction here, from China. The ones from Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan tend to be more 'skilled' and professional. In Singapore a lot of labouring jobs are done by Bangladeshis, it seems. I always wondered why more PRC Chinese weren't doing them too.

Yes...btw i think conscription should be for women too, if we want true equality.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 PM

The Mainland Chinese who buy many houses in Australia with cash can go and live in Australia without working, they are rich. Other Asians buy only 1 or 2 houses only.

BTW, there are many stories of discrimination from non locally born and raised Asians in western countries, students, working holidayers and immigrants. There is a misconception of Asian being submissive and can easily be bullied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia