Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:31 AM

440 posts, read 662,473 times

Advertisements

Although this survey is about Asians Americans, it also resembles how well the local people in Asia get along with the smaller numbers of foreigners of different backgrounds in Asian countries.

People in the Phillippines behave the most differently with foreigners compared with other Asian countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I found this when reading a Pew Research report on Asian-Americans. They surveyed different Asian-American groups and ask them how well they get along with other races/ethnicities.

I'm not sure why Korean-Americans feel that they dont get along with anyone. I think we can attribute Filipinos & Indians getting along so well with other groups to the fact that they speak English at higher rates

There's a lot of more interesting stuff in the report
The Rise of Asian Americans | Pew Research Center

Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
I found this when reading a Pew Research report on Asian-Americans. They surveyed different Asian-American groups and ask them how well they get along with other races/ethnicities.

I'm not sure why Korean-Americans feel that they dont get along with anyone. I think we can attribute Filipinos & Indians getting along so well with other groups to the fact that they speak English at higher rates

There's a lot of more interesting stuff in the report
The Rise of Asian Americans | Pew Research Center
Korean's specifically when they first arrived in numbers there was strife with the Japanese decedents from their home nation's occupation. And then questions "are you Japanese or Chinese?" Later in urban Black communities they were seen as replacing Jews as the small shop owners and accused of disrespecting the local populace and seeing themselves as disproportionately the victims of crime from other ethnic groups.

For the most part neither India or the Philippines were involved with mainland East Asian political/cultural strife being on the outskirts until the war with Japan in 1941

Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:

[/url]
That is not surprising at all. Out of all Asian groups, Koreans stick to themselves the most, they are not known to be very friendly, quite the opposite, they can be standoffish and even aggressive to people they view beneath them. I have never met a group of people that hated another group as much as Koreans hate Japanese. I understand there are historical reasons for this though.

I hate to generalize because I have met some nice Koreans, but overall having grown up around a lot of Asians, I find Southeast Asians to be much friendlier and nicer than East Asians. Not just Filipinos, but people from other places that I have met from Laos, Cambodia etc.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 AM

349 posts, read 488,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Most of us are actually really segregated. Asian Americans from the old school can be really bigoted and racist, especially towards one another. We're all very culturally different. East Asians tend to snear upon Southeast Asians IME (mostly the elder generations). The younger ones like my generation tend to assimilate more with American culture.

Even amongst each ethnicities, there will be divisions (i.e., mainland Chinese who speak Cantonese vs. Mandarin or those who are from Hong Kong or Taiwan).

Viet people have 3 distinct regions, and they all have their own prejudices towards one another believe it or not (North, Central, South). Catholics vs. Buddhists. Cambodians and Thai have a long history of deep seated resentment with each other. These are just a generalization, of course, mostly an extension from elders' bias and a result of sociopolitical race relations.

Laosian people tend to be the most peaceful. Burmese people are far and few, but they also seem pretty neutral, and sadly, have suffered through so much.
One group the US seems to lack is Malaysians, Indonesians and Singaporeans. Pity because they've arguably got the best food in Asia.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 AM

349 posts, read 488,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That is not surprising at all. Out of all Asian groups, Koreans stick to themselves the most, they are not known to be very friendly, quite the opposite, they can be standoffish and even aggressive to people they view beneath them. I have never met a group of people that hated another group as much as Koreans hate Japanese. I understand there are historical reasons for this though.

I hate to generalize because I have met some nice Koreans, but overall having grown up around a lot of Asians, I find Southeast Asians to be much friendlier and nicer than East Asians. Not just Filipinos, but people from other places that I have met from Laos, Cambodia etc.
I live in a VERY Vietnamese part of Melbourne (most of the shops, restaurants.etc are Vietnamese) and they're similar. Kind of insular, stick to their own kind. A lot older ones barely speak English, a lot only eat Vietnamese or maybe Chinese food. Personalitywise they're similar to Chinese. I also found that the case when I visited Vietnam (I've been to Vietnam as well as many Asian countries). It's the Chinese influence.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
Ive experienced racism from other asians just shopping in the asian market, one time I was looking for a certain type of sausage popular with a certain asian ethnic group and the lady in the store almost took it as an insult and thought I must be one of them and was not very friendly anymore

the only reason I asked is because they use to sell that type of sausage in the past

I still experience racism from other asians today, especially if they know your not from their ethnic group, it still happens all the time

a friend tells me when they go to the Filipino market called SEAFOOD CITY they get poor service and they are not very friendly if they know your not a Filipino

thats why they have so many different types of asian stores, they're actually segregated in a way and mostly do business with their own ethnicity.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
How do Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Indians, Filipinos, Vietnamese seee ach other?

I am a Mexican Americans, and most of us live in the southwest so we dont see other Latino groups as oftern as you guys. Most Asian Americans live in the west coast together.

I am just highly curious because for example we Latinos and zAsians are recent immigrants. But we Latinos share spanish and christianity and rarely got into a major war like you guys did.
I think there is a kind of pan-Asian culture and understanding in the U.S.

Asian Americans tend to be similar in important ways - such as their focus on academics and professional degrees. Also, things like honor and respect are valued in most Asian cultures. And there is an understanding about haggling. LOL. Genetics probably come into play somewhere.

So, even though I am Indian American, I'd say that I have a greater connection with Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc., even though the cultural specifics can be rather different. I happen to love all of those cuisines by the way.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

thats why they have so many different types of asian stores, they're actually segregated in a way and mostly do business with their own ethnicity.
that's probably not why there are many types of Asian stores, but because Asian countries have vastly different preference. For example, for me as a Chinese, there are very little selections for me if I shop at a Korean or Vietnamese grocery store. I probably won't even know what a lot of the stuff is for.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Laosian people tend to be the most peaceful.
Yes! Sweetest Asian I ever met was from Laos. Very peaceful, not only him but his entire family that I met. They were some of the tiniest Asians I've met though (he was just over 4'10" as a full adult man - his mother was closer to 4'6" !).

Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think there is a kind of pan-Asian culture and understanding in the U.S.

Asian Americans tend to be similar in important ways - such as their focus on academics and professional degrees. Also, things like honor and respect are valued in most Asian cultures. And there is an understanding about haggling. LOL. Genetics probably come into play somewhere.

So, even though I am Indian American, I'd say that I have a greater connection with Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc., even though the cultural specifics can be rather different. I happen to love all of those cuisines by the way.
I don't agree. Pan-Asian culture? I don't think it exists. Japan is vastly different from the Philippines, and Indian culture and lifestyle is completely different from East Asia.

Honor and respect? LOL, I for one think it is the first thing the Chinese lack in general. I mean, they respect their own superiors but hardly anyone they don't know, which I think is more important.

And I am 100% certain most Chinese and Korean Americans don't think they have much in common with Indian Americans. Most hardly consider Indians to be "Asians".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia