Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 AM

440 posts, read 662,473 times

Advertisements

Few thai people in the US too. Thailand was never a colony, therefore much less western influence.

They are far from the US, with no direct flight.
They have more ties to the UK and Netherlands due to history. And to Australia which is close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
One group the US seems to lack is Malaysians, Indonesians and Singaporeans. Pity because they've arguably got the best food in Asia.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Few thai people in the US too. Thailand was never a colony, therefore much less western influence.

They have more ties to the UK and Netherlands due to history. And to Australia which is close.
When I was in Switzerland, "Asian" defaults to Thai or Filipino. A lot of them.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:24 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I found this when reading a Pew Research report on Asian-Americans. They surveyed different Asian-American groups and ask them how well they get along with other races/ethnicities.

I'm not sure why Korean-Americans feel that they dont get along with anyone. I think we can attribute Filipinos & Indians getting along so well with other groups to the fact that they speak English at higher rates

There's a lot of more interesting stuff in the report
The Rise of Asian Americans | Pew Research Center

I once lived in an apartment complex where there are many Asians like Indians, Filipinos, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Egyptians, Syrians. you can call its the UN but its true.

those who know how to speak English "get along" very well. I mean they speak to each other if there is a chance like when they are the grill area or clubhouse. and these are the Filipinos, Indians, Egyptians Syrians. the East Asians just keep to themselves. I guess its the language barrier because lets admit, to be able to interact, you must know a common language

Old 05-27-2015, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,472 times
Asians in the US are generally the most educated, earn the most and have the longest lifespans.

At the very top of all these categories are Indian Americans. I'd argue that Indians don't really identify that closely with other Asians, be they south east Asians or East Asians. They don't really feel the need to foster any so-called pan-Asian identity, given that their social status in the US is generally a very comfortable one:
http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-num...sehold-income/

Old 05-27-2015, 01:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I once lived in an apartment complex where there are many Asians like Indians, Filipinos, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Egyptians, Syrians. you can call its the UN but its true.

those who know how to speak English "get along" very well. I mean they speak to each other if there is a chance like when they are the grill area or clubhouse. and these are the Filipinos, Indians, Egyptians Syrians. the East Asians just keep to themselves. I guess its the language barrier because lets admit, to be able to interact, you must know a common language
Egypt is in Africa.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
I know but do you call them Africans?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I know but do you call them Africans?
better than calling them Asians, isn't it? What is Asian to you?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 PM

349 posts, read 488,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Chinese stores/restaurants tend to be cheaper, and they have very thin profit margin. Credit card companies charge a certain percentage, which is why many Chinese retailers don't want to accept credit cards.

For example, it costs $8 to have a haircut in a Chinese shop, vs. $15 at a Korean/Japanese one (although I can't tell the difference). If you go to a more upscale Chinese store, such as the T&T, or an Chinese hair salon charging $20+ for a men's haircut, they will accept credit cards.

Plenty of cheap Japanese/Korean eateries are cash only here as well. Depends on the pricy level, not ethnicity.
Yes but it seems the rule for Chinese and Vietnamese places here to be cash only, but most Korean and Japanese place accept card. I wonder if it's a way to avoid paying as much tax too.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

Netherlands? I think you're thinking of Indonesia.

Actually there was some western influence, like Siam modernised quite a bit and was even following Japan trying to take cues from Britain, but no, it was never like it's colonised neighbours. The difference is you can see old British colonial buildings in India, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore, even Hong Kong, Dutch in Indonesia, French in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, Portuguese in Macau and Goa, Spanish in the Philippines, and indeed some European buildings in some of the Chinese concession ports like Amoy (Xiamen), Shanghai, Nanjing, Tianjin, but in Thailand there's none of that.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahawa View Post
Asians in the US are generally the most educated, earn the most and have the longest lifespans.

At the very top of all these categories are Indian Americans. I'd argue that Indians don't really identify that closely with other Asians, be they south east Asians or East Asians. They don't really feel the need to foster any so-called pan-Asian identity, given that their social status in the US is generally a very comfortable one:
Asian-Americans Lead All Others in Household Income | Pew Research Center
In Australia there tends to be a lot of interaction between Indians and other Asians, I think because both have that stereotype of being academic and sometimes nerdy.

Asian immigrants to the West tend to be wealthier and more educated than average, though we did have refugees from like Vietnam after the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia