Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:59 PM

653 posts, read 743,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There is very little public transportation in the U.S.

When I lived in New York City, I used the trains everywhere. I don't recall their being extremely crowded trains with anyone standing who shouldn't be. But, in NYC, I was always in Manhattan; and people seem more likely to stand if they have shorter commutes. When I went into the other boroughs - Queens, Brooklyn, a lot less people were on the trains, and I don't recall seeing them very crowded. But, I never went into other boruughs during peak commute times.

I noticed in Japan, many people had very long commutes, and they were less likely to give up their seat once they got them.

Korea, they seemed to give up their seats quite easily; without much thought about it.
Hhhmmmm, interesting.

Got to visit NYC one day!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
I wonder how it compares to other countries; I have been to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide and Cairns and it is a lot worst there, on public transport, young Australians rarely give up their seats to the elderly, the injured and pregnant ladies.

I have not been to North America or Europe, so I can't comment.
In Paris the metro is a hot(literally, there's no AC), smelly mess, I don't remember anyone giving up their seats to others at all.

In Taiwan people will give up their seats to those in need.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:17 PM

653 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In Paris the metro is a hot(literally, there's no AC), smelly mess, I don't remember anyone giving up their seats to others at all.

In Taiwan people will give up their seats to those in need.
Got to visit Paris and Taiwan too!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:29 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
I traveled a bit around Asia when my son was a toddler and had the worst experience in Shanghai. In other cities in Asia, there are times when people offered me a seat, while there are times not. Not really expecting that people will give me their seat. But in Shanghai, a guy actually "commanded" me to let my toddler stand, fold the stroller and stand towards the back. I obliged thinking at first that there was more space there, or that he and his friends are getting off the next stop because they stood near the door the moment I was able to make it towards the back. I just realized afterwards that they just wanted to get off first. We had the same stop and no one got on or got off the stops in between! If there weren't that many people and I was slow with a toddler, I would've slammed my stroller straight at him when we got off the station.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:34 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
I don't really look at age. Usually you can tell by a glance whether a person is fit enough to stand comfortably or not. When in Singapore (or anywhere for that matter) I do give up my seat to anyone who is clearly someones grandparent or if they appear to have some physical or health issue regardless of age. Of course people with babies or pregnant women also.

Being fat to point of causing health problems or breathing issues is not a handicap, for 99.9% of people its a choice. Usually to really an issue in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia