Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 AM

9 posts, read 8,595 times

Advertisements

China is expensive because

no or little unemployment and disablity benefits, free or low-cost housing provided by the government, very affordable universal health care, low cost education for workers' children in the city, even no free toilet papers provided in public toilets. Some public toilets charge a fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:15 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Living standards or quality of life is not the same as cost of living. I don't think Shanghai has better quality of life than a beach town in California at all, although it might be more expensive. Also, Shanghai should not be more expensive than Zurich and other European cities. Those Europeans probably got ripped off...
NYC or London don't have high quality of life either.

I agree Shanghai is by no means more expensive than a European city. Those people find so because they stick to a typical western life in Shanghai instead of living like a local. Of course you are ripped off. For example a typical western style lunch with burger salad fries etc can cost as much as it does in Boston or Paris, because they cater to expats. Local people spend probably three-four euros on lunch if they eat outside (that's for high income white collars, others probably spend half of that) and much less if they cook at home. My parents probably spend 200 euros on grocery a month, and they are by no means poor.

This spring I had a mojito on huaihailu and it cost 69 rmb, or roughly ten euros. A fancy frappe at Starbucks costs 6 euros, not cheaper than Europe, is it? Western brand clothes Can be 150% or three times the price but people shop elsewhere depending on their income.

In realty cost of living in shanghai is probably similar to low cost EU cities such as lisbon. (Buying an apartment is a different story. It is as expensive as Paris nowadays).

Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probcazaonlav View Post
Some public toilets charge a fee.
Many EU countries charge a fee for using the toilet, Germany and Italy for example. Even their McDonalds have a fare gate like the subway which was shocking to me. In shanghai some toilets charge a fee for like 20 cents, not gonna break your bank, plus there are many free ones in the mall/shops.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 8,595 times
A trouble for toilet users who are in urgent.

Same feeling for people who are very sick but cannot afford the hospital admission fee in many hospitals in china.

I am not from the US.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Is the infrastructure of China still not on a whole other level though?

Or do all those big massive infrastructure projects we hear about overshadow a lot of poor infrastructure we don't hear about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia