Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Money always talks.

I think it's cool to see tourism increase from China and South Korea to Japan.

These people themselves can see for themselves whether to believe the demagoguery and falsehoods their governments perpetuate.
what falsehood and demagoguery? Did you mean the Chinese government or the Japanese/Korea government? Not clear to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I can't disagree more.

Of course the Chinese still preserve their heritage - it is something they are proud of so it will be stupid not to, to be "just an American", plus in the eyes of Americans, Chinese Americans will always be Chinese Americans and never just Americans.

However, the overseas Japanese integrate even less than the Chinese. Michael Chang at least has an American name, so do most Chinese Americans. I'd say most Japanese Americans don't even bother selecting a Japanese name. I have seen plenty of them. I used to work with the East Asian language and culture department of an American university. 95% of the Chinese lecturers/professors have their English name, while most Japanese simply use their Japanese name in daily life.

The Chinese definitely make more effort to "integrate" or to be more "Americanized" than the Japanese.
Using English name is often for convenience only, because pinyin is very hard for Americans. I also have a fake English name for Americans to use, though I do not consider it a real name of mine.

Statistics says Japanese Americans are much more likely to marry white Americans, than Chinese Americans are.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM

440 posts, read 662,218 times
Shanghainese has long been known to be open to foreign things and culture. My friend said Shanghainese are more keen to go overseas or marry foreigners, including Japanese. Chinese of other regions may not be the same, Shanghai and Shanghainese can be very different from other Chinese.

There are no economic advantages to the Chinese for travelling and shopping in Japan. Generally, people in both China and Japan view it is Japan which is gaining economic advantage. Chinese sellers are not having advantages as the money is spent outside of China.

Anyway, despite committed many war crimes, Japan is still viewed as a modern country with quality products in China. This is no difference from the Chinese travelling and shopping in Europe and the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
While Chinese political rhetorics may be scathing against Japan's wartime atrocities and lack of proper atonement, wealthy Chinese tourists, especially from Shanghai, love to visit and spend money there. This is why I always take Chinese rhetorics with a grain of salt. The Chinese have always been pragmatic, which is a good and bad thing. The good is that they are predictable and rational in their geopolitical calculations. The bad is that their nationalism is only skin deep, and easily bought off with economic advantages, either real or perceived.

How Shanghai Is Driving Surge in Chinese Tourists to Japan - Bloomberg Business

Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 PM

431 posts, read 449,628 times
Most Chinese I encountered in Japan were those taking ski vacations in Niskeo. A lot of Chinese, Singapore Chinese and Australians.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
I've only met a handful of Chinese people in their 20's that had truly negative opinions of Japan. Most would probably love to travel there if money weren't an issue. Shanghai is now considered a relatively modern, international city; people there are a bit more open-minded, and have more money to travel than the rest of China. With increased wages, and the fact that the yen has depreciated against the yuan, I can only see it becoming an increasingly more popular destination for the rest of the country as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 PM

922 posts, read 806,421 times
The Chinese current communist party is deeply unpopular in China, most Chinese people know the anti-Japan propaganda is bVllsh!t. I think there is still a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment in China,but it would not prevent Chinese people from travelling to Japan.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:13 PM

919 posts, read 839,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I think it is partly because overseas Chinese communities tend to retain their identity, but overseas Japanese communities are more likely to integrate with locals. Michael Chang is very Americanized, but he still has a Chinese name 张德培 and it is used in Chinese media. These people usually like to emphasize their tie with China/Taiwan/Hong Kong too.
I agree with you on this respect. And the sentiments both you and I described only apply to Han or close/assimilated to Han.

An Uigur who immigrated to Turkey would have no chance to get attention in China.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
However, the overseas Japanese integrate even less than the Chinese. Michael Chang at least has an American name, so do most Chinese Americans. I'd say most Japanese Americans don't even bother selecting a Japanese name. I have seen plenty of them. I used to work with the East Asian language and culture department of an American university. 95% of the Chinese lecturers/professors have their English name, while most Japanese simply use their Japanese name in daily life.

The Chinese definitely make more effort to "integrate" or to be more "Americanized" than the Japanese.
I wonder how much % of Austrian immigrants to the US have their English name.

According to your logic, Arnold Schwarzenegger has not integrated even though he was elected as 38th Governor of California.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling
Chinese are much less nationalist than Koreans and Japanese in nature.
I'd say that Koreans and Chinese are pretty close in nationalism... older Koreans who lived through the period of time where Korea was a third-world military dictatorship and remember plenty of things not-quite-worthy-of-pride tend to be less nationalistic than a lot of the younger Koreans who have grown up in a thoroughly-modern country with a large and stable middle class who have always had lots of reasons to be proud.

Conversely, lots of older Chinese who lived through the cultural revolution and spent years with a very heavy dosage of unfettered CCP propaganda are extremely proud of being Chinese and have little to no interest in the world outside of their province, let alone the rest of the world; middle-aged folks tend to be a mix of prideful or more pragmatic; and a very large number of young people are disillusioned with modern Chinese society.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Shanghainese has long been known to be open to foreign things and culture. My friend said Shanghainese are more keen to go overseas or marry foreigners, including Japanese. Chinese of other regions may not be the same, Shanghai and Shanghainese can be very different from other Chinese.
That's true. Shanghainese are more open to foreigners than to Chinese people from other places, who are called nga ti ning (外地人) by Shanghainese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia