Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
i don’t know much about IELTS, but PTE (entirely done on computer) has been giving native speakers a lot of trouble, though that largely depends on the type of score an institution or government requests.

In Australia, immigration has recently increased entry level requirements (as in minimum score) for those applying for permanent residence.

If you ask me, I find these exams to be flat out ridiculous. Anyone who has studied in an English institute or can demonstrate that they have conducted activities in English should be exempt from these type of exams. The fact that people end up spending thousands on them, makes them the equivalent of government sponsored scams.

What institutions and governments fail to realise, is that this is a poor way of helping people improve their language skills.
I heard that even native English speakers are not exempt from the requirement.

Australia government probably has swindled a lot of money from PTE and IELTS test takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Is the IELTS test administered in oral or written form? In writing, it wouldn't challenge many people, but I doubt if the people who wrote questions could handle them if they were sprung on them at a mall.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I heard that even native English speakers are not exempt from the requirement.

Australia government probably has swindled a lot of money from PTE and IELTS test takers.
They’re not exempt. I had to do one in order to get a PR in Australia.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Is the IELTS test administered in oral or written form? In writing, it wouldn't challenge many people, but I doubt if the people who wrote questions could handle them if they were sprung on them at a mall.
Both. A large part of it is done in written form, but there’s a section where the candidate needs to speak in front of an assessor.

Unlike the PTE, nothing is conducted in front of a computer.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 367 times
Need to score good band in IELTS? GRADEWAY PREP helps you with IELTS ONLINE coaching[url]https://www.gradeway.co/service/ielts[/url]

Old 08-18-2022, 06:04 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
What a stupid interview. No, you don't assess non-native's English by asking them "Where are you from?". That is the kind of question you ask 10 year old kids. And the questions are from the written exam, where they are given time to think about what to answer.

I have taken the IELTS, didn't practice at all and still scored much higher than university requirement. It's not difficult if you can speak English, but if you can't and only managed to pass your English class through memorization then it will be difficult. The reason they even have IELTS requirements is because some people get good grades in their local English class, but in reality can't even carry a basic conversation.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:25 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
What a stupid interview. No, you don't assess non-native's English by asking them "Where are you from?". That is the kind of question you ask 10 year old kids. And the questions are from the written exam, where they are given time to think about what to answer.

I have taken the IELTS, didn't practice at all and still scored much higher than university requirement. It's not difficult if you can speak English, but if you can't and only managed to pass your English class through memorization then it will be difficult. The reason they even have IELTS requirements is because some people get good grades in their local English class, but in reality can't even carry a basic conversation.
Of course it was easy for you to score high marks. You are Scandinavian. Scandinavians all score high marks in these tests because Scandinavian languages are very similar to English.

But still IELTS is very easy lol. I took it twice and I got near perfect marks both times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia