Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 08:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Not just a few but almost every person I have spoken to who has visited India, and who is not of Indian heritage themselves, has recommended against traveling there. For this reason I have no desire to visit and will probably never go there.
Based on what? What makes India stand out negatively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 10:35 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Based on what? What makes India stand out negatively?
I can only relate what others told me.

The main complaint was the unattractiveness of the cities. Extreme poverty was visible and so was dirtiness.

The next complaint was of the difficulty of everything. Whether transportation, haggling, or dealing with bureaucracy even in the limited way a tourist does, it sounded as if India is an exhausting place to be.

Another story, told to me by an eastern European woman, was that when she went swimming in the hotel pool all the men in the room were staring at her. It made her very uncomfortable.

I'm sure you can have a positive experience as a tourist in India, and maybe my unscientific sample is just that. But the consistency of the responses from people who are otherwise world travelers with open minds really turned me off.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:28 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
There’s no point in stereotyping an entire nation, one that has over 1.4 billion people. The caste system does still exist though, with its application being used in select places.
I’ve never been to India but I’ve yet to meet someone from India who wasn’t either utterly dishonest or horribly high handed and arrogant, the latter being the doctors I’ve met in Ireland from India, I don’t like them as a people

Old 05-28-2023, 07:33 PM

1,555 posts, read 779,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleDeSilicon View Post
I'm of Indian descent and I'm curious about this.

Judging by a lot of comments on various forums and websites, it seems to have become fashionable to talk negative about India and Indians in the wake of reports of various social problems the country has (which I'm fully aware of and need to be resolved or addressed), such as rape, poverty, caste system, etc. So much so that the most popular opinions often seem to be ones which have a contemptuous or even hostile view of the country and people. Even though there are some things I don't like about Indian culture (as well as some things I like), I still find such comments disheartening. People seem to make blanket judgments, with others agreeing with them (this can easily be seen through upvotes vs. downvotes on websites such as reddit and Yahoo! News).

To that end, does anyone still have a mostly positive opinion? Also, as this is the Asia forum, how do you view India in comparison to countries such as China, Japan, Thailand, or Pakistan?

And in your experience do you find Indians different in behavior when compared to other ethnicities?

Again, I'm asking this purely out of curiosity and wanted to get this off my chest.
I am a SA. Grew up SJ. I really don't care what is happening in India. There are good and bad things about every culture.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:31 AM

2,224 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Outside of India, they are successfull. There are 130 Indian-origin key-personels appointed in the Biden-administration. They fill top U.S. high-tech companies as CEOs. The current PM of UK is an Indian-origin. Several top political positions in Canada are held by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia