Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 13,610 times

Advertisements

Japan treats us foreigners like the Baka gaijin we are. But still I gotta love the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:17 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycu View Post
Japan treats us foreigners like the Baka gaijin we are. But still I gotta love the country.
I think Japan is the greatest country in the world.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycu View Post
Japan treats us foreigners like the Baka gaijin we are.
Would you explain how?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I think Japan is the greatest country in the world.
But you haven't been there before? Unless I'm mistaken

Old 10-07-2015, 09:06 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But you haven't been there before? Unless I'm mistaken
Haven't been but I can still hold that view.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:40 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Haven't been but I can still hold that view.
You sure can, it just doesn't make much sense...

Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The US gets to deal with spree killings; Japan gets to deal with suicides and the occasional otaku serial killer.
I don't think these two are comparable. Suicides have no direct victims, otaku serial killers are very rare, but spree killings and mass shooting incidents are so common in the US now that it doesn't even feel like a big deal any more.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think these two are comparable. Suicides have no direct victims, otaku serial killers are very rare, but spree killings and mass shooting incidents are so common in the US now that it doesn't even feel like a big deal any more.
My main point is that no nation or society is without its faults, and Japan is no exception. There are some people here who, for whatever reason, seem to think that Japan is a utopian place. I love Japan myself, but I'm also not delusional. Nor am I attempting to make the point that school or spree killings aren't a big deal.

Spree killings in the US aren't "common," really. They don't happen on a daily basis all over the nation, and when they do happen, they are shocking enough that they make huge media headlines and are burned into the national psyche. Basically every American knows exactly what and who Adam Lanza, Jared Loughner, Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc are, and will grimace and shudder at their mention.

I think American society's biggest mistakes in dealing with then, other than not doing enough to reign in our gun issues, is that we focus too much on the shooter in the aftermath, which is usually one of the driving factors behind why these guys commit the crimes in the first place. We should be focusing on the people who survive, thwart, or suffer in these attacks instead. This takes away a lot of the notoriety that these shooters want.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
My main point is that no nation or society is without its faults, and Japan is no exception. There are some people here who, for whatever reason, seem to think that Japan is a utopian place. I love Japan myself, but I'm also not delusional. Nor am I attempting to make the point that school or spree killings aren't a big deal.

Spree killings in the US aren't "common," really. They don't happen on a daily basis all over the nation, and when they do happen, they are shocking enough that they make huge media headlines and are burned into the national psyche. Basically every American knows exactly what and who Adam Lanza, Jared Loughner, Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc are, and will grimace and shudder at their mention.

I think American society's biggest mistakes in dealing with then, other than not doing enough to reign in our gun issues, is that we focus too much on the shooter in the aftermath, which is usually one of the driving factors behind why these guys commit the crimes in the first place. We should be focusing on the people who survive, thwart, or suffer in these attacks instead. This takes away a lot of the notoriety that these shooters want.
Obviously it's still a big deal, people would say how horrible it is and how "we should do something", then end up doing absolutely nothing.

I get that Japan has plenty of its problems, just that I find the occasional otaku killers not really worth mentioning because of its rarity. Japan's horrific gender inequality, unimaginable social hierarchy, general disenfranchisement of younger population, superficial democracy, and frequency of natural disasters are way, way worse than tragedies that happen once every 5 years in average.

Suicides are based on many of its own problems though, not gonna argue on that.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:41 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:

Indeed I think the huge amount of coverage the shooters get in the media is viewed as a enormous reward by the shooters. I also think that the media knows it but choose to run the stories on the shooters anyway because it is profitable CNN will cycle stories like that around the clock for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia