Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the only thing Asians want to copy from the west are individuality, openness, democracy, free speech. and these are all universal aspirations.
Really? While I agree that these are all universal aspirations, it seems like Asians in general don't give two ****s about any of these. Only a handful of countries (like 3) actually value and practice them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 02:31 PM

71 posts, read 111,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You do realize that the reason East Asian culture did not expand much beyond where it did in RL is because East Asians (as in the states, governments, and people in charge) were historically so secure and arrogant about their superiority that they didn't think it was necessary for them to interact with others.
If you had read my post carefully, you'd realize it too.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:30 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? While I agree that these are all universal aspirations, it seems like Asians in general don't give two ****s about any of these. Only a handful of countries (like 3) actually value and practice them.

Which 3?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Which 3?
Maybe more than 3. It was just a random number lol.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the only thing Asians want to copy from the west are individuality, openness, democracy, free speech. and these are all universal aspirations.

all the others are just crap
Democracy is just one political system. Since when it becomes universal aspiration?
Most people don't even understand what democracy really means. Let's not glorify it.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
The Asian nations who want democracy, for the most part, already have it. I don't know many Chinese people who want it, honestly. Most people have been raised from birth to believe it's an inferior form of governance, and that aside, people tend to either fall into one of the following camps:

1) our government is awesome. We went from peasants (under the auspices of the same government) to having an established middle and upper class. China is the best place on earth.

2) China is a nation of idiots, and it's a good thing we have a government in place to keep those idiots in check. Thank god I can park money overseas and bribe my way into more money.

3) my opinion doesn't matter, so I don't care. It's probably better elsewhere, but it's not like I can go there, so... Whatever.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:44 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The Asian nations who want democracy, for the most part, already have it. I don't know many Chinese people who want it, honestly. Most people have been raised from birth to believe it's an inferior form of governance, and that aside, people tend to either fall into one of the following camps:

1) our government is awesome. We went from peasants (under the auspices of the same government) to having an established middle and upper class. China is the best place on earth.

2) China is a nation of idiots, and it's a good thing we have a government in place to keep those idiots in check. Thank god I can park money overseas and bribe my way into more money.

3) my opinion doesn't matter, so I don't care. It's probably better elsewhere, but it's not like I can go there, so... Whatever.
A lot of people also think democracy etc. are not compatible with Chinese people or China, and won't work.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:47 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
A lot of people also think democracy etc. are not compatible with Chinese people or China, and won't work.
I agree.
Democracy is one of the many political systems and we shouldn't assume it is the best one for every country. It is brainwashing.

I don't have money "parked overseas" but I don't think democracy will work in China now. China doesn't impose its Confucian culture or filial piety on others so why should democracy be forced on it.

If we do a statistical analysis on all democratic countries in the world, it won't be conclusive whether it contributes to prosperity. China will find its own way, not learning blindingly from a few successful nations where things are completely different.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

And those who post here all fall into the 1st category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Which 3?
You know on second thought, it really is just 3. Japan, Taiwan, and S Korea.

HK wants it but they can't have it.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:27 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
And those who post here all fall into the 1st category.

You know on second thought, it really is just 3. Japan, Taiwan, and S Korea.

HK wants it but they can't have it.
In fact very few Chinese people think China government is awesome.. If you ask people in or out of China, they tend to complain a lot. However, they will not give you any better solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia