Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:41 PM

280 posts, read 335,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I'm not sure if it was necessarily that Taiwan was not interested in trying to compete on the world stage. Right now Taiwan knows its limits. But, Taiwan was not set up like South Korea with the Chaebol or Japan with the Zaibatsu. Taiwan was set up with smaller companies-ironically Taiwan wanted to become more like Japan or the West. I agree that Taiwan remaining OEM manufacturers made Taiwan a lot less visible in the world stage and economy. My uncle in Taiwan worked many years for Shihlin Electric as an electrical engineer and later in an executive position-"which manufactures electrical and power transformers, switchgear, automation, controls and automotive electrical devices. The technology for the manufacturing originally involved technology transfers from Mitsubishi Electric (Japan) and France Transfo, a Schneider Electric Company (France)." See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shihlin_Electric I guess they did not do what Samsung did with Sony, Sharp and Toshiba or Hyundai do off Mitsubishi.

Taiwan's threat/challenge is China which is and is not comparable to North Korea's threat to South Korea. North Korea's threat to South Korea is largely military/nuclear, while China's threat is economically, militarily and geopolitics (China plays a much larger role in the world stage than North Korea)- China is much larger than Taiwan while North Korea is actually smaller than South Korea.

I still believe Taiwan had the potential to achieve more than it had over the past 20 years.
I'm not expert, but from a layman's point of view, Taiwan businesses just weren't big enough and ambitious enough to shrug off that small - medium business/family owned company mentality, happy to do OEM work. The only company which tried to do a Samsung like approach was HTC (I used their really early smart phones for work and they were incredibly bad...conversations turned gibberish half way we couldn't use them no more as they were problematic)

To be really honest though, as good as South Korea is today - in reality and on paper, we can only really list a handful of companies that are internationally known - Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, LG and probably Daewoo (now defunct).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 AM

922 posts, read 798,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I'm not expert, but from a layman's point of view, Taiwan businesses just weren't big enough and ambitious enough to shrug off that small - medium business/family owned company mentality, happy to do OEM work. The only company which tried to do a Samsung like approach was HTC (I used their really early smart phones for work and they were incredibly bad...conversations turned gibberish half way we couldn't use them no more as they were problematic)

To be really honest though, as good as South Korea is today - in reality and on paper, we can only really list a handful of companies that are internationally known - Samsung, Hyundai, Kia, LG and probably Daewoo (now defunct).
For a country that small, having one internationally known company is already quite the feat.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
HTC sucks. Acer and Asus are better.
Well probably not Acer cause it's horrible as well.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:36 PM

452 posts, read 1,316,793 times
Quote:

I would not characterize Taiwan being "happy" to do OEM, I think the way Taiwan was structured with mostly small and medium sized family owned business- it just remained that way instead of developing large conglomerates. And just found it best suited to just develop this way going forward.

I just wanted to point out that I believe Taiwan could have achieved more. But, let's not take anything away from Taiwan- it is not some 3rd World Country (despite how pessimistic some people in Taiwan are about their future) either and you can't base it just on how dumpy Taipei looks. Taiwan is still among the developed countries/economies in Asia.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I would not characterize Taiwan being "happy" to do OEM, I think the way Taiwan was structured with mostly small and medium sized family owned business- it just remained that way instead of developing large conglomerates. And just found it best suited to just develop this way going forward.

I just wanted to point out that I believe Taiwan could have achieved more. But, let's not take anything away from Taiwan- it is not some 3rd World Country (despite how pessimistic some people in Taiwan are about their future) either and you can't base it just on how dumpy Taipei looks. Taiwan is still among the developed countries/economies in Asia.
IMHO, hypothetically, if Taiwan had played their cards right and say did something similar to what the Koreans did (got aggressive about branding, creating an international market), spent $$ on r&d and translated this to manufacturing, I guess they would have somewhat some domination in the following fields:

1. Liquid Crystal Displays: This would have also have had a flow on effect into dominating the more lucrative TV sector by extension (just bigger LCD monitors)...Had a company like Foxxconn who is merely an assembler back then and now pumped $ into buying a company like Sharp, they might have dominated this market.

2. Mobile Phones: HTC was an early player but could never capitalise on the success, if I recall correctly, they had smart phones either earlier or at the same time as Apples.

I thought Taiwan to be honest had shifted into the "green" fields early on in the early 2000s, a sector Korea was not into at that stage but dominated by heavyweights like USA, Germany & Japan.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 AM

19 posts, read 15,520 times
1. China- this is the country that has lifted the maximum number of people out poverty in the last 2 decades than any any other economy in modern history, and it has done so after suffering from the worst communist regime. In addition, it has created an incredible urban infrastructure and some truly dizzying megapolises, so it wins my vote.

2. South Korea (and to a lesser extent, Taiwan)- for its rapid development, it's futuristic urban centres, it's technological advancement, and it's creation of world renowned consumer brands

3. Singapore - probably this is the most impressive development on a per capita basis, having transformed itself into one of the world's greatest financial centres, but it loses out to the other countries for the greater scale of their impact.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:26 AM

654 posts, read 738,412 times
Quote:

What about Terry Gou's Foxconn? But to be frank, it is really a mega OEM......

Old 11-17-2015, 11:37 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Terry Guo is an abysmal human-being and Foxconn is a blood-sucking corporate machine that treats employees like slaves. He deserves to be killed in the most painful way.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Terry Guo is an abysmal human-being and Foxconn is a blood-sucking corporate machine that treats employees like slaves. He deserves to be killed in the most painful way.
You are displaying your immaturity by expressing extreme feelings all the time. Those "slaves" can quit their jobs any day, can't they? It is not that they are in Qatar where the passports are confiscated or something.

He deserved to be killed for what? Running a company where pay and benefits don't meet your expectation? The solution is easy, don't work for that company.

What corporations are not blood sucking machines? My friend works for Deloitte NYC and it is normal to work for 16 hours a day during busy season (imagine leave office at 1am and get back by 9am every day for two weeks, including weekends often), and pay is not even that great.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
You would have thought Foxconn would have made some inroads into R&D from all the OEM manufacturing money...but alas they didn't, all they tried to do is buy Sharp when it was already well behind in LCD tech now...

Being mere assemblers they don't exactly have fat profit margins...but it probably just underlines Taiwan in general....happy to earn the $$ but not invest in R&D. Guo could have invested heaps into stuff like Automation, Robotics...heck even new green fields like electric cars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia