Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 04:37 AM

30,402 posts, read 19,191,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Taiwan has very high multiples on rents...it cost a helluva a lot more to buy than rent. Owners getting 2% returns? I wouldn't expect a lot of well maintained properties. I've had a special place in my heart for ROC, ever since a beautifully smart lady told me she didn't like being called Chinese. Costco is in ROC...says a lot right there...
I've noticed this huge variance between rent prices and the price of housing. Compared to Phoenix, Taipei price per square foot or meter is 4.5 times higher than Phoenix, rents or half of Phoenix, and incomes 1/3rd...not sure what causes this but fascinating to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 05:22 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've noticed this huge variance between rent prices and the price of housing. Compared to Phoenix, Taipei price per square foot or meter is 4.5 times higher than Phoenix, rents or half of Phoenix, and incomes 1/3rd...not sure what causes this but fascinating to me.
Not that fascinating. America is big, Taiwan is small. People also live in suburbs in the states which isn’t popular in Taiwan at all as people want to live in the centre. Compare Phoenix property prices with for example Paris property prices you’d get similar results.

Another thing is property tax is low in Taiwan, as is the interest rate.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:46 PM

1,376 posts, read 931,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Korean American birth rate isn't 1.4. It's 1.1. I can't find it now but I remember reading it on Twitter. This shows that difference in birth rate is cultural, not economic.

Home prices went down in Korea recently due to interest rate hikes. And it's also only really expensive in Seoul. People never compare home prices in Asia fairly. It's always comparisons between bum**** nowhere in the West and capitals/largest cities like Seoul or Taipei.

And better housing wouldn't increase birth rates. Finland has cheap housing and some of the best family policies but its fertility rate remains barely 1.3, which is amongst the lowest in Europe.

The only way to solve a demographic crisis is through mass immigration like Sweden does. Sweden has a housing crisis, but it also has a high fertility rate as close to 10% of the population are Muslims.
Anyone can post anything on Twitter (especially after Elon took over and a lot of fake stuff spreading). I got 1.4 from https://paa2019.populationassociatio...uploads/191215

Old 06-01-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Not that fascinating. America is big, Taiwan is small. People also live in suburbs in the states which isn’t popular in Taiwan at all as people want to live in the centre. Compare Phoenix property prices with for example Paris property prices you’d get similar results.

Another thing is property tax is low in Taiwan, as is the interest rate.
Belgium is small and I see the same thing when comparing Brussels and Taipei, rent is far more expensive in Brussels and housing prices per Sq/M is much higher in Taipei. Low property taxes and low interest rates you mentioned would result in higher prices.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Belgium is small and I see the same thing when comparing Brussels and Taipei, rent is far more expensive in Brussels and housing prices per Sq/M is much higher in Taipei. Low property taxes and low interest rates you mentioned would result in higher prices.
Property prices in Belgium are amongst the cheapest in Europe indeed (probably because Brussels is so gross that nobody wants to live there lol). Paris or Amsterdam is a whole different world in terms of property prices.

Your statement that income in Phoenix is 3x income in Taipei is also gross exaggeration. Median household income according to official US statistics is $67k in 2021 in Phoenix. Median household income in Taipei is around $50k in 2021 so it’s more like 30% higher, not 3x.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Anyone can post anything on Twitter (especially after Elon took over and a lot of fake stuff spreading). I got 1.4 from https://paa2019.populationassociatio...uploads/191215
Agreed about Elon Musk being complete trash, but it wasn’t just written by anyone. It was a graph based on official stats but I can’t find it now.

And 1.4 was in 2018. Now it’s definitely lower so 1.1 is likely accurate. It’s still higher than Koreans in Korea, but it shows that fertility rate is cultural, not economic.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:09 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Agreed about Elon Musk being complete trash, but it wasn’t just written by anyone. It was a graph based on official stats but I can’t find it now.

And 1.4 was in 2018. Now it’s definitely lower so 1.1 is likely accurate. It’s still higher than Koreans in Korea, but it shows that fertility rate is cultural, not economic.
Data I saw somewhere on Twitter, is not official. And while it is definitely lower, it could be anywhere from 1.1 to 1.3 depending on how much it dropped.

You are also forgetting that immigrants usually have lower fertility rate than the countries they are coming from and immigrants in the USA tend to gravitate towards the cities where the fertility rate is much lower.

This fact that the Korean fertility rate in the USA is significantly higher when it should be lower, show that the difficulty of raising a child matters quite a lot.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Property prices in Belgium are amongst the cheapest in Europe indeed (probably because Brussels is so gross that nobody wants to live there lol). Paris or Amsterdam is a whole different world in terms of property prices.

Your statement that income in Phoenix is 3x income in Taipei is also gross exaggeration. Median household income according to official US statistics is $67k in 2021 in Phoenix. Median household income in Taipei is around $50k in 2021 so it’s more like 30% higher, not 3x.
There are different sources that will quote different variances in income, the one I normally look at showed 3X income take home in Phoenix compared with Taipei and others I've looked have more or less variance, anyway, the disposable income in Phoenix is much higher than Taipei and the average house costs much much less in Phoenix than Taipei and the same in true when comparing Shanghai and Phoenix.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
There are different sources that will quote different variances in income, the one I normally look at showed 3X income take home in Phoenix compared with Taipei and others I've looked have more or less variance, anyway, the disposable income in Phoenix is much higher than Taipei and the average house costs much much less in Phoenix than Taipei and the same in true when comparing Shanghai and Phoenix.
The same is true when you compare almost anywhere outside the US with Phoenix. Taipei isn’t anything special in this regard.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Data I saw somewhere on Twitter, is not official. And while it is definitely lower, it could be anywhere from 1.1 to 1.3 depending on how much it dropped.

You are also forgetting that immigrants usually have lower fertility rate than the countries they are coming from and immigrants in the USA tend to gravitate towards the cities where the fertility rate is much lower.

This fact that the Korean fertility rate in the USA is significantly higher when it should be lower, show that the difficulty of raising a child matters quite a lot.
Korean Americans aren’t immigrants. They are just as American as white Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia