Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 08:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Korean Americans aren’t immigrants. They are just as American as white Americans.
Whatever you like to call them the same principle applies. People born in country A that moved to country B tend to have lower fertility rates than the ones who stayed behind. This is especially the case if they move to regions with low fertility rates.

As the opposite is true for South Koreans moving to the USA, then it shows that the difficulty of raising a child in Korea is reducing their fertility rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 11:30 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Whatever you like to call them the same principle applies. People born in country A that moved to country B tend to have lower fertility rates than the ones who stayed behind. This is especially the case if they move to regions with low fertility rates.

As the opposite is true for South Koreans moving to the USA, then it shows that the difficulty of raising a child in Korea is reducing their fertility rate.
They never moved to America. Korean Americans were BORN in America.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:56 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Quote:
They never moved to America. Korean Americans were BORN in America.
Not true. Korean Americans includes people born in Korea that has obtained American citizenship.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 575,256 times
Didn’t read the whole thread dated from 2015.

I was born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan. Lived there until teenage years then grew up in Paris, France. Where I grew up in Taipei was considered the Park Avenue of Taipei, just blocks away from the Presidential Palace. Very affluent and absolutely leafy, wide, manicured boulevard. (In fact far more beautiful and leafy than Park Avenue imo.) I haven’t been back there since 2006 as most of my family members are in the States or Europe but in a nutshell, I blamed it on KMT. I blamed it for the poor urban development of many parts in Taiwan (especially outside Taipei.) and the decades of martial law which prohibited many (not all) Taiwanese people from pursuing wealth, higher sociology-economic status thus improving the overall aesthetics/appearances of the city/county/township.

This is the best to my knowledge, although I admit that I have been away since I was a teenager, I’ve never stayed in Taipei for longer than 2 weeks since 1995. It’s an absolutely beautiful country with the Pacific, very lush vegetation, rich topography, mountains and warm, engaging people.-I blame much of the ugliness and 3rd World outlook on the government, mostly KMT.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:53 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,333,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Didn’t read the whole thread dated from 2015.

I was born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan. Lived there until teenage years then grew up in Paris, France. Where I grew up in Taipei was considered the Park Avenue of Taipei, just blocks away from the Presidential Palace. Very affluent and absolutely leafy, wide, manicured boulevard. (In fact far more beautiful and leafy than Park Avenue imo.) I haven’t been back there since 2006 as most of my family members are in the States or Europe but in a nutshell, I blamed it on KMT. I blamed it for the poor urban development of many parts in Taiwan (especially outside Taipei.) and the decades of martial law which prohibited many (not all) Taiwanese people from pursuing wealth, higher sociology-economic status thus improving the overall aesthetics/appearances of the city/county/township.

This is the best to my knowledge, although I admit that I have been away since I was a teenager, I’ve never stayed in Taipei for longer than 2 weeks since 1995. It’s an absolutely beautiful country with the Pacific, very lush vegetation, rich topography, mountains and warm, engaging people.-I blame much of the ugliness and 3rd World outlook on the government, mostly KMT.
Things haven't changed much, if not worst.
Today only the elites live in posh houses in the heart of Yangmingshan National Park.
Those who can are leaving. A good example is ProLogium (輝能).

Old 06-03-2023, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Today only the elites live in posh houses in the heart of Yangmingshan National Park.
I’m going back there in September to visit for the 1st time since 2006, I can’t wait. My family home was on 仁愛路 near 帝寶 but I’ll go visit the night markets and such since I heard they have been gentrified.

I just read about ProLogium. They are moving to France (so am I!) which fits Macron’s agressive Choose France Summit campaign among the international corporates to promote the economic attractiveness.-this might not be such a bad thing as I for one am looking forward to seeing Taiwan making some waves in Europe and raising international profile. I’d love seeing more and more Taiwanese presence in France (and Europe).

Old 06-04-2023, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Bahahahaha. Delusional.

Old 06-04-2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I’m going back there in September to visit for the 1st time since 2006, I can’t wait. My family home was on 仁愛路 near 帝寶 but I’ll go visit the night markets and such since I heard they have been gentrified.

I just read about ProLogium. They are moving to France (so am I!) which fits Macron’s agressive Choose France Summit campaign among the international corporates to promote the economic attractiveness.-this might not be such a bad thing as I for one am looking forward to seeing Taiwan making some waves in Europe and raising international profile. I’d love seeing more and more Taiwanese presence in France (and Europe).
If you’ve been leaving in Paris and you are coming back to Taipei for the first time since 2006 then you’d most likely find Taipei a lot nicer than Paris nowadays. Just sayin’.

And ProLogium isn’t even a listed company lol.

Old 06-04-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
If you’ve been leaving in Paris and you are coming back to Taipei for the first time since 2006 then you’d most likely find Taipei a lot nicer than Paris nowadays. Just sayin’.

And ProLogium isn’t even a listed company lol.
I believe you. (I still have lots of friends and relatives living in Taipei so I did keep up as best as I could.)

I miss the convenience, the energy of the streets, 7-11 and Watson, Eslite (誠品書店)bookstores, and the food!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2023, 11:30 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
US healthcare is among the best in the world, but the health insurance is among the most screwed up.

My father was stationed in Taipei as a US Army advisor (MAAG) from 1957-59.
We lived in the suburb of Tianmu and I & my brother attended the Taipei American School downtown. The school was relocated to the suburb years after we left.
Tianmu back then seemed almost rural with a large neighborhood of one story frame & stone ranch-style housing for the American dependents. Our section was called West Point Village. There was a rice paddy about 10 feet outside my bedroom window.The farmer’s multi-generational house was next door, with his smaller livestock wandering freely inside & out. The water buffalo wouldn’t fit through the door.
It was like a whole different world to me.

I guess the place has changed a bit since then.

Oh yea, Tianmu is a whole different beast now. TAS is still there, but it's certainly no longer rice paddies. It's a somewhat fancy neighborhood now, and it'd probably be a hoot to stroll through it now. You should go visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Not true. Korean Americans includes people born in Korea that has obtained American citizenship.

Yea, in common US parlance, Korean Americans do not have to be born in the US. It's never been the case for any group that they had to be born in the US to be considered such and I grew up in an area with a lot of Koreans who very much consider themselves Korean Americans, but were born in South Korea. One thing to remember is that East Asian immigration rates to the US have been high only in recent decades as they were heavily restricted from immigrating prior to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, additionally, the cost of immigrating or trying to go back and forth was much higher in the decades prior were generally much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia