Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:29 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,062,298 times

Advertisements

I really hope that this would help make gay rights and gay issues more visible and on the front burner in China. The country could do so much to help its reputation if it turns out to be more liberal and supportive of its millions of gay citizens. Who knows, China might be the first Asian country and dictatorship to allow gay marriage?!

New book says Communist China's first premier was probably gay | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM

510 posts, read 606,223 times
gay marriage is pretty much already legal in Israel, so China might be the second Asian country to recognize it. :-)

But I think Taiwan will probably be the next country. I really do not see much opposition to it amongst younger Chinese/Taiwanese people. There are many popular gay celebrities who are no longer afraid to let everyone know they are gay (Hocc, Kevin Tsai, Leslie Cheung, etc.). Taiwanese presidential candidate Tsai Ing Wen has even publicly supported gay marriage as part of her campaign. Taiwanese entertainers like A-Mei and Jolin Tsai make the news for being banned (or having some of their songs banned) in some more conservative countries for their support of gay marriage.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM

8,844 posts, read 8,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
gay marriage is pretty much already legal in Israel, so China might be the second Asian country to recognize it. :-)
It's not legal in Israel, though it is by far the most gay friendly country in Asia. The rest of Asia doesn't even come remotely close.

Quote:
But I think Taiwan will probably be the next country. I really do not see much opposition to it amongst younger Chinese/Taiwanese people. There are many popular gay celebrities who are no longer afraid to let everyone know they are gay (Hocc, Kevin Tsai, Leslie Cheung, etc.). Taiwanese presidential candidate Tsai Ing Wen has even publicly supported gay marriage as part of her campaign. Taiwanese entertainers like A-Mei and Jolin Tsai make the news for being banned (or having some of their songs banned) in some more conservative countries for their support of gay marriage.
Aw how sweet. But I remain fairly pessimistic about that. All talk and no action is like the norm in Taiwan. English Tsai is too spineless to shut down the bigots within her own party.

Btw I'm pretty sure that Leslie Cheung is bi.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:24 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,042,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I really hope that this would help make gay rights and gay issues more visible and on the front burner in China. The country could do so much to help its reputation if it turns out to be more liberal and supportive of its millions of gay citizens. Who knows, China might be the first Asian country and dictatorship to allow gay marriage?!

I have been hearing this rumor for years.
No one really cares. Chinese people neither promote homosexuality nor hate it, as long as their own children are not involved.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,126,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
No one really cares. Chinese people neither promote homosexuality nor hate it, as long as their own children are not involved.
I don't think Chinese people care at all about the personal sexual lives (gay or straight) of their politicians. They only care if the politicians are having affairs with numerous mistresses and using public funds to support the mistresses. The corruption would be the main source of anger not the affairs. The US is pretty much the only country in the world where a politician's career is ruined if the politician is caught having an affair.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:31 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,763,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's not legal in Israel, though it is by far the most gay friendly country in Asia. The rest of Asia doesn't even come remotely close.
Doesn't Israel recognize same-sex marriages which are preformed abroad, though?

Old 12-29-2015, 05:50 PM

240 posts, read 341,709 times
Quote:

Zhou maybe a gay
Washington maybe a gay
Obama maybe a gay
Trump maybe a gay
Romney maybe a gay
Jeb maybe a gay
Abbott (A) maybe a gay

I can make up stories of any famous politician.....
Sick of this kind of thing...

Old 12-31-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Except that many young Chinese are gay, and they marry into miserable lives and/or marry another gay person so that they can live their own real lives. This issue needs to be resolved properly for China to evolve and progress. It's too bad that Xi, given his obvious intelligence, is still too conservative to make an ideological breakthrough.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
Zhou maybe a gay
Washington maybe a gay
Obama maybe a gay
Trump maybe a gay
Romney maybe a gay
Jeb maybe a gay
Abbott (A) maybe a gay

I can make up stories of any famous politician.....
Sick of this kind of thing...
Someone may be "gay", but no one is "a gay." Someone can be a homosexual but not "a gay."

The word "gay" is used only in context as an adjective. But it's ok to say "the gays" as a collective or group. But "a gay" is wrong.

I am sick of people butchering the English language.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,042,528 times
Quote:
Except that many young Chinese are gay, and they marry into miserable lives and/or marry another gay person so that they can live their own real lives. This issue needs to be resolved properly for China to evolve and progress. It's too bad that Xi, given his obvious intelligence, is still too conservative to make an ideological breakthrough.
In China, marriage is not just based on romance.

Put another way, Chinese people do not think romantic love (deep attraction to each other) is the sufficient condition for marriage. If you go to those xiang qin events, you will see people talk about job, money and education more than attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia