Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 978,598 times

Advertisements

Is this guy a joke?

Chinese students are know for hardworking and talented. Harvard and other elite schools have to use quota in order not to recruit Chinese students.

also, why would chinese students want a cheap Mcdonald's rather than tasty chinese food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
.... Is this a joke?

Chinese students are much more widely known for cheating, being completely unfamiliar with critical or creative thought, banding together and aggressively avoiding foreigners, and being terrified of local food than for being “adventurous” and having an “overseas experience.” Korean students are similar, just not as likely to cheat and at least capable of somewhat more abstract thought.

The Japanese have a much better reputation for trying to integrate into or at least adapt to local culture, no matter how awkwardly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Getting a job in Japan is actually ridiculously easy as long as you learn Japanese. The room for upward mobility can be an issue, though. No cap on the number of work visas, nobody expects you to be a rocket scientist or something, the government makes the process very easy.

You can apply for Japanese citizenship after working and paying taxes for 5 years.

On my trip to Tokyo a couple of years ago, I met a few Chinese immigrants and one German immigrant. One of them told me his son was just admitted to the medical school in the University of Tokyo, the golden ticket to success in Japan. Apparently, there's no such a thing like Affirmative Action that discriminates against Chinese and Korean kids. Japan is a merit-based society, you work hard, you get rewarded. The German guy married a Japanese woman, and he seems to be pretty happy there.
I do not know if it is completely true but I heard those who want to obtain Japanese citizenship must choose a family name that is already in their registration system. If it does not exist there, you must change your family name. Since all the registered names are Japanese names, maybe with a few exceptions of Chinese/Korean names, it would be very inconvenient for those who want to keep their name.

I also do not like the fact that married couple must have the same family name in Japan. China abandoned that idea 100 years ago. Why Japan still insists that?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:47 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,706,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I do not know if it is completely true but I heard those who want to obtain Japanese citizenship must choose a family name that is already in their registration system. If it does not exist there, you must change your family name. Since all the registered names are Japanese names, maybe with a few exceptions of Chinese/Korean names, it would be very inconvenient for those who want to keep their name.

I also do not like the fact that married couple must have the same family name in Japan. China abandoned that idea 100 years ago. Why Japan still insists that?
You heard it right.

It was true! But the regulation had changed a few years ago, maybe five years ago?

Now you don't need to change your surname.

Most women change their names after marriage in the United States as well. It's just a cultural thing and Japan isn't that unique in this regard.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Is this guy a joke?

Chinese students are know for hardworking and talented. Harvard and other elite schools have to use quota in order not to recruit Chinese students.

also, why would chinese students want a cheap Mcdonald's rather than tasty chinese food?
He's a professional troll, a desperate attention seeker.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM

991 posts, read 871,192 times
Quote:
Getting a job in Japan is actually ridiculously easy as long as you learn Japanese. The room for upward mobility can be an issue, though. No cap on the number of work visas, nobody expects you to be a rocket scientist or something, the government makes the process very easy.
Not even is not necessary know speak Japanese. In job websites in Brazil is common found Japanese companies offering jobs in Japan for Japanese descendants and its families (wife or husband) being the last ones ethnic Japanese or not. If for blue collar jobs is not necessary speak Japanese, they have people who coach them for the job in Portuguese.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Not even is not necessary know speak Japanese. In job websites in Brazil is common found Japanese companies offering jobs in Japan for Japanese descendants and its families (wife or husband) being the last ones ethnic Japanese or not. If for blue collar jobs is not necessary speak Japanese, they have people who coach them for the job in Portuguese.
Great to know!

Even a little bit Japanese goes a long way for blue collar workers.

How large is the Japanese population in Brazil? Just curious, are they willing to move to Japan?

Linguistically, the Kanji in Japanese borrowed from Chinese characters. All the major place names are written in Kanji, which is a huge advantage for Chinese immigrants.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
Curious...

Is there a (professional, legitimate - not some Joe with an opinion) cultural anthropologist answer these questions?
  1. If Japan has an extremely low unemployment rate...
  2. If trends continue, won't those with good jobs continue to do well financially...
  3. Won't those with these great jobs become more desirable as mates...
  4. Won't the woman they marry be more free to stay home if they wish...
  5. Won't that lead to more children and a population boom?

And it is not just Japan, is much of Asia is facing depopulation in the future.

What are the positives - if any - that could come of low population growth - after all, people are always complaining of world population being too high.

It's kind of amazing to realize the entire world population in the 1300's was less than the current population of America.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-08-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Curious...

Is there a (professional, legitimate - not some Joe with an opinion) cultural anthropologist answer these questions?
  1. If Japan has an extremely low unemployment rate...
  2. If trends continue, won't those with good jobs continue to do well financially...
  3. Won't those with these great jobs become more desirable as mates...
  4. Won't the woman they marry be more free to stay home if they wish...
  5. Won't that lead to more children and a population boom?

And it is not just Japan, is much of Asia is facing depopulation in the future.

What are the positives - if any - that could come of low population growth - after all, people are always complaining of world population being too high.

It's kind of amazing to realize the entire world population in the 1300's was less than the current population of America.
entire Asia? Maybe your definition of Asia = Japan + Korea + Singapore + Taiwan + HK? the rich part of Asia?

No, the world never had too many people. Some people just love to whine. Some think a city with 2 million people is always "full" and too crowded. The world can easily have twice as many people, as long as they don't each live like an American/Canadian/Australian.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM

991 posts, read 871,192 times
Quote:
Great to know!

Even a little bit Japanese goes a long way for blue collar workers.

How large is the Japanese population in Brazil? Just curious, are they willing to move to Japan?

Linguistically, the Kanji in Japanese borrowed from Chinese characters. All the major place names are written in Kanji, which is a huge advantage for Chinese immigrants.
There is 1.5 millions Brazilians of Japanese descent in Brazil and 56.000 Japanese nationals.

The number of Brazilians (of Japanese descent or marry with someone of them) in Japan is between 150.000 and 250.000 because many of them go and back many times in lifetime.

I have close friends who went work in Japan and already back home and others who stay there yet.
I had a Brazilian Japanese girlfriend who invited marry her and go to Japan but I didn’t accept. It is very common here among young couples.

Few number of them want go to Japan definitely. Most of the workers who go are young people just high school graduate who go there for know their origins, make money, save, and send to Brazil and also get international experience, but after some years they back home.

Some families without many opportunities in Brazil go to Japan and stay working there for whole life.

I agree Chinese and Korean have easier adaptation in Japan but Japanese government want the Brazilians because the ‘’blood stuff’’, btw my friends describe that white Brazilians (in general some spouses of them) have better treatment by Japanese people than ethnic Brazilian Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilians_in_Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians

Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
There is 1.5 millions Brazilians of Japanese descent in Brazil and 56.000 Japanese nationals.

The number of Brazilians (of Japanese descent or marry with someone of them) in Japan is between 150.000 and 250.000 because many of them go and back many times in lifetime.

I have close friends who went work in Japan and already back home and others who stay there yet.
I had a Brazilian Japanese girlfriend who invited marry her and go to Japan but I didn’t accept. It is very common here among young couples.

Few number of them want go to Japan definitely. Most of the workers who go are young people just high school graduate who go there for know their origins, make money, save, and send to Brazil and also get international experience, but after some years they back home.

Some families without many opportunities in Brazil go to Japan and stay working there for whole life.

I agree Chinese and Korean have easier adaptation in Japan but Japanese government want the Brazilians because the ‘’blood stuff’’, btw my friends describe that white Brazilians (in general some spouses of them) have better treatment by Japanese people than ethnic Brazilian Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilians_in_Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians
I'm not an expert on race relations in Japan, but it seems to me that culture is the bigger issue. Second generation Chinese/Korean immigrants born and raised in Japan are doing very well, new immigrants often find the culture barrier insurmountable. Japanese people are very indirect, it's hard to tell something is going wrong, and it's even harder to fix. When you don't conform, they complain behind your back.

Most Chinese living in Japan are very reluctant to apply for Japanese citizenship for this reason, I guess.

When I was shopping in Tokyo for shoes, it took the Japanese employee 5 minutes explaining and apologizing that they didn't have my shoe size. And they could tell I wasn't able to understand Japanese at all! I think they need to follow some sort of procedure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia