Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egltours View Post
Crazy idea.
Talking about being friendly to other Asians, Japan should rank behind Taiwan, South Korea, HK, Singapore, the Phillippines, Malaysia, Thailand and etc. They like westerners much more than other Asian foreigners.

It is pretty sure many Indonesians, Filpinos and Vietnamese want to move to Japan, these 2 countries are much less anti-Japanese and have many people who want to move for much more amount of money. Many of them are already working in other richer countries for economic reasons. Unlike the Gulf states, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea. Japan's policies do not welcome Asian foreigners to work there. And very few Japanese marry people of other Asian countries. There are many South Korean and Taiwanese men marrying Vietnamese women for examples.
Taiwanese are not that friendly. Idk where that myth came from. I've heard about it so many times and it's obviously a nice compliment but I personally find it cringe-worthy and stereotypical.

And quite frankly, Idk which one is worse. Letting them work here and treat them like slaves (as in HK, Taiwan, Korea etc.) or blocking them altogether (as in Japan).

Btw the Vietnamese women married to Taiwanese men are consistently subjected to domestic violence and brutal discrimination, as are their children. I'm not sure about the situation in Korea but I heard it's more or less the same, or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 AM

280 posts, read 339,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Taiwanese are not that friendly. Idk where that myth came from. I've heard about it so many times and it's obviously a nice compliment but I personally find it cringe-worthy and stereotypical.

And quite frankly, Idk which one is worse. Letting them work here and treat them like slaves (as in HK, Taiwan, Korea etc.) or blocking them altogether (as in Japan).

Btw the Vietnamese women married to Taiwanese men are consistently subjected to domestic violence and brutal discrimination, as are their children. I'm not sure about the situation in Korea but I heard it's more or less the same, or worse.
The Japanese are on a chain of islands, much more isolated and as such xenophobic from the outside world. Taiwan and Korea were pretty much forced to let in brides due to the gender imbalance, especially from the countryside. These days many Vietnamese women prefer to get married to the West - USA, Canada, Australia, UK, NZ, pretty much in that order. The whole Taiwan and Korea thing was only popular during the late 90s to mid 2000s, with many finding it less than what they had imagined when they arrived in Taiwan and Korea, it is much less common these days.

Generalisations are also just that, Japanese are renowned to be "friendly" - whilst traveling throughout Japan, we had come across a fair share of people. Some were very nice and took the trouble of actually physically ushering you right to the destination whilst others were pretty downright cold. We also visited Taiwan and my wife generally thinks the Taiwanese are about 2-3 rungs below on the friendliness level. The myth probably perpetuates because on a whole they are much more friendly than the Mainland Chinese or Koreans and they always try to emulate the Japanese.

Quote:
It is pretty sure many Indonesians, Filpinos and Vietnamese want to move to Japan, these 2 countries are much less anti-Japanese and have many people who want to move for much more amount of money. Many of them are already working in other richer countries for economic reasons. Unlike the Gulf states, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea. Japan's policies do not welcome Asian foreigners to work there. And very few Japanese marry people of other Asian countries. There are many South Korean and Taiwanese men marrying Vietnamese women for examples.
They do but probably no more than any other developed country. I find Japanese very insular and xenophobic...

Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Japan right now is undergoing a massive demographic crisis and Western economists/leaders are urging them to open up their country to immigration. Since it is much easier to assimilate people of similar racial backgrounds, should Japan consider opening up its immigration to China and Korea? I can't imagine Japan agreeing to immigrants of a different racial/cultural background since that would fundamentally alter its culture so China and Korea seem to be its only option. It may be necessary to stem off the demographic decline but it may also lead to political changes that would be unfavorable to the US such as a more pro-Chinese government in Japan. Nevertheless, do you think that is worth it?
I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me that the Japanese are more concerned about preserving their culture and their bloodline than they are about preserving their country. In other words, they would rather die as Japanese (racially and culturally) than live as something else.

"Western economists/leaders" should butt out. Japan can decide its own fate.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
If Japan doesn't want to let more people in, then Western people just need to leave them the hell alone. I'm tired of Europe and North America dictating to the entire world what they should do. Japan doesn't need more foreigners, they need less stress. How are you gonna raise kids when you're married to your job more than your wife or husband?

And as I keep saying time and time again, the world has way too many people. Every country in the world should have population decline, not growth. When the old people in Japan born before 1960 are dead, then the demographic crisis is over, and the population will be stabilized. Asian culture thinks about the future in terms of years and decades, not the next quarter

Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 PM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
It's true, every nation should be allowed to decide whether to allow guests in or not. When Western countries do it it's not looked down upon though.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 PM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
In the US, he could just refuse to pay the bill and leave.
He doesn't need a good credit score anyway.
I've heard he will be checked his credit card is valid first in the US.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:55 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Many Japanese people view Chinese and Koreans as a different "race" than themselves, anyways. This is a common current of thought throughout Asia; people think of themselves as less an ethnicity, and more a separate race. Due to various historical rivalries and enmities and the fact that these are homogeneous populations and societies, these countries are much less likely to think of immigration from neighboring nations as a solution to demographic issues.

In the Americas, we are immigrant societies that have clear paths to citizenship and representation as a matter of necessity. In Europe, you have the legacy of colonialism and history of rationalization and liberalism which a) added far-flung non-natives to the empire, and b) touted an ideal of universal, inalienable rights and equality. The largest societies in Asia are non-immigrant and the culture is vastly different from ours. Immigration, gained citizenship, naturalization, integration, etc just isn't something that most people here consider to be normal, or even necessarily possible. Many ABC's experience shock coming to China for the first time because people here don't understand why they have accents or Americanized habits - "You're Chinese!! What's the matter with you??" Latin American-born ethnic Japanese are looked upon with confusion by native Japanese folks who can't understand how, as Japanese by blood, they don't know Japanese food, music, or culture like a native. There's a naive misunderstanding that blood trumps upbringing on ethnic matters among lots of people.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
The father of my acquaintance, who is a Chinese living in Japan without a green card, got a cancer in China. She and her family members didn't trust Chinese medicine and helped him to get a travel visa to Japan. As soon as her father got to Japan, she managed to get him a medical treatment visa and national insurance from our government. All he had to pay was 30% of the total, just like all freelancers in Japan. Who will pay the rest?

Will your country offer this kind of treatment to foreigners who had never paid a dime to your country?
This happens in the US all the time. Very common for new immigrants to come here, bring their whole families, and get right onto subsidized housing, medical plan, food stamps etc. Lots of Vietnamese immigrants are known to also carry out fraud of these social benefits, like converting EBT cards into cash and trading them for cash etc.

Yes, people like me who work and generate income pay for them. Love it or hate it, that's the way it is.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:30 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
The Japanese are on a chain of islands, much more isolated and as such xenophobic from the outside world. Taiwan and Korea were pretty much forced to let in brides due to the gender imbalance, especially from the countryside. These days many Vietnamese women prefer to get married to the West - USA, Canada, Australia, UK, NZ, pretty much in that order. The whole Taiwan and Korea thing was only popular during the late 90s to mid 2000s, with many finding it less than what they had imagined when they arrived in Taiwan and Korea, it is much less common these days.

Generalisations are also just that, Japanese are renowned to be "friendly" - whilst traveling throughout Japan, we had come across a fair share of people. Some were very nice and took the trouble of actually physically ushering you right to the destination whilst others were pretty downright cold. We also visited Taiwan and my wife generally thinks the Taiwanese are about 2-3 rungs below on the friendliness level. The myth probably perpetuates because on a whole they are much more friendly than the Mainland Chinese or Koreans and they always try to emulate the Japanese.

They do but probably no more than any other developed country. I find Japanese very insular and xenophobic...
As for Taiwanese men marrying Vietnamese women (or girl in some cases)- yes, I believe that was more popular 15-20 years ago and not as popular now. That occurred even within my own family. My cousin in Taipei briefly married a Vietnamese girl. And not surprisingly it was met with a lot of disapproval among my relatives. That marriage did not last. But, the marriage between a Taiwanese man and Vietnamese woman did not always involve an uneducated, countryside Taiwanese man. My cousin is college educated and lives and grew up in Taipei. He is now in a serious relationship with a Taiwanese woman.

I would have to agree to terms of "friendliness" which is very subjective, but on average, the Taiwanese are not as "friendly" or "polite" as the Japanese and are 2-3 "rungs" below the Japanese. But, I do find many people find the Taiwanese "friendlier" and more "polite" compared to the Chinese and Koreans. Thus, maybe when some people say Taiwanese are friendly and polite they really mean compared to the Chinese and Koreans they have encountered.

Though, it is interesting to note there are different levels of politeness in Japan, just like every other place. Last week, I met up with this person from Japan, She is from a small town outside of Osaka, Japan and she told me she does not like Tokyo-as she believes it is too crowded and the people are rude and pushy there. I guess that can be relative when you compare to other large cities like New York, etc. But, I think there is a common nexus- people in the big cities, in general, may be more aggressive/pushy and perceived as less polite (as most likely a result of the high density living).

Last edited by twnxn; 04-05-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 06:52 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
The Japanese are on a chain of islands, much more isolated and as such xenophobic from the outside world. Taiwan and Korea were pretty much forced to let in brides due to the gender imbalance, especially from the countryside.
Idk how being an archipelago has anything to deal with insularity or xenophobia. Britain is mostly just one big island, New Zealand is mostly just two main islands, Indonesia is the king of islands, and the Philippines is probably the queen, yet all these countries are some of the most diverse in the world. Geographically Japan isn't much more isolated than these island countries either, Korea, China, and Russia are all very close to the four main islands.

And no, most of the international marriages in TW are in cities, not countryside. Barely any Taiwanese lives in the countryside.

Quote:
It completely depends on whom you meet during your trip. I've been to Japan and I didn't find Japanese people to be particularly friendly (though it's been a very long time); people keep saying how bitchy Parisians are but the majority of the French people I met in Paris were very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia