Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 6,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I understand. Best of luck to you! I can completely understand your situation.

If I were you, you 100% MUST visit, as only at that time, would you really truly know if it is worth it for you.

On paper/internet, there are tons of places I've thought were this way or that way, only to spend some actual time there, and suddenly have a completely different image/experience/reality of that place, sometimes for the much better, sometimes for the much worse.

You'll never really know if Japan is that connection, until you walk in its land, order food in its restaurants, and all the rest.
Well said. Its time to get the travel bags ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahmanToursUK View Post
Japan would be best for you, if you learn Japanese. otherwise it would be difficult.
Ok I'm going to get the language books.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,118 times
I adore Hong Kong, because it's easier.
It really depends on one's personality. If you are an adventurous person you would find Hong Kong a heaven comparing to Singapore. But if you are a person who likes orders and discipline, Singapore is your sweat home. i don't have any idea of Japan.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Japan is probably the worst choice because

1) the economy and job market is horrible. Very little room for young people to go ahead, not to mention someone from aboard.
2) Japan is an insular country. You won't value your American degree as much as a one from a third tier degree local school.
3) Japan is one of the most homogeneous countries in the world. As a black man (or white for that matter), you will never be able to "get in".
4) Cost of living is very high while wage not so much. Plus, the workaholic culture (unless it is your thing).

Westerners tend to idolize/romanticize Japan. Don't. The reality can be quite different.

HK is probably a better choice but I am not sure how many cars HK make... plus, HK is going down hill rapidly.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:22 AM

53 posts, read 51,348 times
Cost of living in Tokyo or Osaka is about the same compared with major US cities in USD.
HK is cheaper than Japan in cost except renting and buying a home.

What the Japanese do in their cultures have nothing to do with a non East Asian looking foreigners. The Japanese do not expect foreigners to behave the same as them, or expect foreigners to integrate into their society.

HK, China and South Korea are not better choices as generally they think all Black people come directly from Sub Saharan Africa and do not want any relation with dark skin foreigners. There are many scammers, robbers, drug traffickers and fake refugees from developing countries in recent years, people now just avoid anyone who don't speak the local language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia