Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,134 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on leaving the U.S. in 3 years for more social, economic and financial opportunities in another country. Right now, I'm in a little bit of a toss up as to which country I would want to reside in. I was looking into Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brazil, Costa Rica , Sweden or France to live in.

I am an African american so I'm well aware that may have an effect on the quality of treatment i may receive in other countries.

I am currently a master automotive technician (specializes in Japanese automotive repair Nissan,Honda, Toyota) and I am finishing up my degree in Mechanical engineering. I also just bought a ton of language books and books on all the cultures for the countries I just listed.

I have done a little research and I am leaning more towards japan due to them being pretty much the birthplace of my specialization, the car culture, and they share alot of the same interest i have. France seems nice but really does not have a huge car culture, literally. Unfortunately, I have heard that Japan really does not take to foreigners and me being an African American male will not fit in.

I am very sociable, respectful, obviously tolerant of others, I like to laugh, I'm a hard worker and I just want to live a good life. I'm afraid that may not be "enough", due to the skin color.

I will visit all the countries first but I do not want to burn up alot of money and resources visiting countries which I shouldn't have.

Do you think Japan may be a good fit for someone like me?
Should I look into another career?
Should I consider other countries besides the 7 I have listed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 01:28 PM

291 posts, read 277,243 times
Japan is fine if you don't mind being an outsider. However, you won't be able to get a job there. They don't have a shortage of either mechanical engineers or Japanese auto mechanics and their economy is stagnant.

It's pretty hard for an American to emigrate to any country, TBH.

Maybe take a look at Germany. They have a worker shortage and a Blue Card system (like an American Green Card) that is relatively streamlined and efficient should you qualify. That said, the easiest areas for an American to find work in Germany (Frankfurt, Kaiserslautern) are also amongst the most boring.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I agree with Harold. Getting a job in Japan outside of teaching English is almost impossible, and the bosses there don't really hire foreigners for "Japanese jobs". Most Westerners that live in Japan are language tutors or soldiers based on bases in Japan.

France's economy is a huge mess, but Germany has low unemployment and has a far better environment for outsiders to fit in. I'm Puerto Rican if that counts for anything.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 6,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree with Harold. Getting a job in Japan outside of teaching English is almost impossible, and the bosses there don't really hire foreigners for "Japanese jobs". Most Westerners that live in Japan are language tutors or soldiers based on bases in Japan.

France's economy is a huge mess, but Germany has low unemployment and has a far better environment for outsiders to fit in. I'm Puerto Rican if that counts for anything.
It's me cnissangtr.I can't get into my account and Germany would be cool, but I am African American. Also I'm not a fan of working on German vehicles.

I heard Singapore is pretty accepting of foreigners. I honestly have no interest in living in Germany. It sucks that Japan has closed doors they were my first pick and I kind of didn't want to move to France anyways.

Last edited by Dnissangtr; 05-08-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Japan is fine if you don't mind being an outsider. However, you won't be able to get a job there. They don't have a shortage of either mechanical engineers or Japanese auto mechanics and their economy is stagnant.

It's pretty hard for an American to emigrate to any country, TBH.

Maybe take a look at Germany. They have a worker shortage and a Blue Card system (like an American Green Card) that is relatively streamlined and efficient should you qualify. That said, the easiest areas for an American to find work in Germany (Frankfurt, Kaiserslautern) are also amongst the most boring.
So other then being an English teacher you cant vet a job in Japan. Is there absolutely no other occupations that are in high demand in Japan?

I'll have to take a pass at Germany is there anywhere else? I also think they wouldn't be accepting of African Americans.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNissangtr View Post
Hello,

I am planning on leaving the U.S. in 3 years for more social, economic and financial opportunities in another country. Right now, I'm in a little bit of a toss up as to which country I would want to reside in. I was looking into Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brazil, Costa Rica , Sweden or France to live in.

I am an African american so I'm well aware that may have an effect on the quality of treatment i may receive in other countries.

I am currently a master automotive technician (specializes in Japanese automotive repair Nissan,Honda, Toyota) and I am finishing up my degree in Mechanical engineering. I also just bought a ton of language books and books on all the cultures for the countries I just listed.

I have done a little research and I am leaning more towards japan due to them being pretty much the birthplace of my specialization, the car culture, and they share alot of the same interest i have. France seems nice but really does not have a huge car culture, literally. Unfortunately, I have heard that Japan really does not take to foreigners and me being an African American male will not fit in.

I am very sociable, respectful, obviously tolerant of others, I like to laugh, I'm a hard worker and I just want to live a good life. I'm afraid that may not be "enough", due to the skin color.

I will visit all the countries first but I do not want to burn up alot of money and resources visiting countries which I shouldn't have.

Do you think Japan may be a good fit for someone like me?
Should I look into another career?
Should I consider other countries besides the 7 I have listed?
I know a number of African Americans who live in Japan, who are quite content and happy there. If your heart is in Japan, go for it.

Basically, most foreigners come to Japan to teach english. Once you get the work visa for it, you own it for a few years, in which you can attempt to change jobs, to something like automotive technician. You might want to see how much that pays in Japan, as some things are abysmally lower than you think (for example, doctors are very low paid in Japan, etc.) I don't know about your field. Since your field is a niche, it might also be a lot harder to break into. Unlike teaching, where a non-Japanese person is kind of deferred to as an expert. That might be the exact opposite of Japanese automotive repair in Japan. I am unsure though, I've never met a foreigner with those skills in Japan, it doesn't mean they don't exist, I just am not aware of it. Usually I see most foreigners in Japan, as either teaching english, part of a large corporation, u.s. military, bar owner, or something like that.

As far as being African American. Well, any non-Japanese won't fit in. I'm not African American, but the African Americans I know, seem to experience the same culture shock differences, same experiences, just with a twist to it. But, in general, from African Americans I know, they are generally well-equipped with how to deal with 'not being the norm', and seem to have an edge with that, compared to a white american person coming from a very white majority area of their country. Also, there are enough Africans around in Japan, from either the continent of Africa, or from the U.S., that it isn't like you'd be the only one. Most likely your social circles, you might feel like you are the only one. But, get to know the expat communities just a little bit, and you won't be the only one.

Regarding the 7 countries, I've been to 6, all but Costa Rica. Of those 6, I think you'd find a niche anywhere, with their own different sets of challenges, issues, etc. Not necessarily from a 'discrimination issue', although that could be factored in, as well, of course. But, just the legal and cultural adjustments needed to move and relocate to any new country. The legal adjustments being the huge one for anyone going to live abroad. Being able to legally live, and particularly more so, work, in a foreign country. I'm not saying it isn't possible, it is just a whole heck of a lot of work, to get, the work permits in order, etc. A mountain of work.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I know a number of African Americans who live in Japan, who are quite content and happy there. If your heart is in Japan, go for it.

Basically, most foreigners come to Japan to teach english. Once you get the work visa for it, you own it for a few years, in which you can attempt to change jobs, to something like automotive technician. You might want to see how much that pays in Japan, as some things are abysmally lower than you think (for example, doctors are very low paid in Japan, etc.) I don't know about your field. Since your field is a niche, it might also be a lot harder to break into. Unlike teaching, where a non-Japanese person is kind of deferred to as an expert. That might be the exact opposite of Japanese automotive repair in Japan. I am unsure though, I've never met a foreigner with those skills in Japan, it doesn't mean they don't exist, I just am not aware of it. Usually I see most foreigners in Japan, as either teaching english, part of a large corporation, u.s. military, bar owner, or something like that.

As far as being African American. Well, any non-Japanese won't fit in. I'm not African American, but the African Americans I know, seem to experience the same culture shock differences, same experiences, just with a twist to it. But, in general, from African Americans I know, they are generally well-equipped with how to deal with 'not being the norm', and seem to have an edge with that, compared to a white american person coming from a very white majority area of their country. Also, there are enough Africans around in Japan, from either the continent of Africa, or from the U.S., that it isn't like you'd be the only one. Most likely your social circles, you might feel like you are the only one. But, get to know the expat communities just a little bit, and you won't be the only one.

Regarding the 7 countries, I've been to 6, all but Costa Rica. Of those 6, I think you'd find a niche anywhere, with their own different sets of challenges, issues, etc. Not necessarily from a 'discrimination issue', although that could be factored in, as well, of course. But, just the legal and cultural adjustments needed to move and relocate to any new country. The legal adjustments being the huge one for anyone going to live abroad. Being able to legally live, and particularly more so, work, in a foreign country. I'm not saying it isn't possible, it is just a whole heck of a lot of work, to get, the work permits in order, etc. A mountain of work.
Thankyou, your post was very informative. I was hoping to head over to Japan as a mechanical engineer but I may want to make some adjustments to my career choice. Hope and reality are two different things. Another posted stated that Japan already has alot of technicians and engineers.

I have asked alot of people and I'm starting to shape one definite answer. As an African American visitor you wont experience overt racism alot but I will definitely be treated differently because it's unusual for African Americans to be apart of the normal day of the Japanese. i may experience a little covert racism and be treated like an outsider because Im a foreigner. The overall answer seems to be pretty clear that Japan may be a cool country to experience, tour around but not actually settle in, and have a career in.

I'll probably just visit.
Sucks because I think they have an amazing and exciting culture.

I'll research thee other countries more. The major reason why Japan was at the top of my list was because of the import car culture since I'm into modding cars as a hobby.

Singapore seems to be more welcoming but they are too strict on car culture. France is too strict as well.

Ill keep looking.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnissangtr View Post
Thankyou, your post was very informative. I was hoping to head over to Japan as a mechanical engineer but I may want to make some adjustments to my career choice. Hope and reality are two different things. Another posted stated that Japan already has alot of technicians and engineers.

I have asked alot of people and I'm starting to shape one definite answer. As an African American visitor you wont experience overt racism alot but I will definitely be treated differently because it's unusual for African Americans to be apart of the normal day of the Japanese. i may experience a little covert racism and be treated like an outsider because Im a foreigner. The overall answer seems to be pretty clear that Japan may be a cool country to experience, tour around but not actually settle in, and have a career in.

I'll probably just visit.
Sucks because I think they have an amazing and exciting culture.

I'll research thee other countries more. The major reason why Japan was at the top of my list was because of the import car culture since I'm into modding cars as a hobby.

Singapore seems to be more welcoming but they are too strict on car culture. France is too strict as well.

Ill keep looking.
Well, I think the car thing will be difficult in any country, if not a local. It doesn't mean that is is impossible though. You'll just REALLY have to work REALLY hard to get into that niche, as it isn't the common theme for expats abroad - which is usually teaching english, management professional, small business owner, etc.

Regarding unusual for African Americans to be apart of normal day in Japan. Well, not any more strange for them to be part of everyday Singapore or Hong Kong. But, you'll still see black people living and working in all of those places. No, they won't be 'normal' like being in New York City. But it isn't like you'll never ever see it in your lifetime. As a person who has spent a lot of time in Singapore, Hong KOng, and Japan; I really feel you'd be most likely to see that in Japan. Japan has a lot of music subcultures and varied interests, so there are scenes very interested in 'black american' culture - i.e. hip-hop clubs. You see a ton of Africans (from Africa the continent) throughout Japan, and many try to tell Japanese that they are actually Jamaicans or Americans, because there is the belief (and kind of true, depending on a person's age), that everyone in Japan loves African American culture and Jamacian culture.

HOwever, in Hong Kong/Singapore, I've never seen those subcultures like that, like I used to regularly see in Japan. BLack people are in HK, but usually again from continent of Africa, and usually doing import/export with African nations. They don't try to act American in Hong kong, because HK (like SG) is more connected to the UK, and they just don't see that interested in american hiphop, as far as I can tell. I can't recall ever seeing black people in Singapore, I"m sure they are there, as you see black people everywhere in the world, but I just can't recall seeing a niche of them.

ALso, in Japan, you have the u.s. military bases, which is another window for japan to see black american culture....and Japan is just geared towards/interested in the u.s. - i.e. the business culture, the love of 'baseball', even basketball as well. Whereas HK/SG, it is more British - i.e. soccer, rugby, etc. THat being said, soccer is huge in Japan as well, etc. etc.

Anyways, I'd focus more on the place you are interested in; rather than concerns about reception in those places. If you are particularly interested in Hong Kong / Singapore, I could probably tell you another 10 reasons why you should be, but from your post so far, it seems that Japan is where you like best, you are just worried about it, because of stereotypes you've read or heard.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I think the car thing will be difficult in any country, if not a local. It doesn't mean that is is impossible though. You'll just REALLY have to work REALLY hard to get into that niche, as it isn't the common theme for expats abroad - which is usually teaching english, management professional, small business owner, etc.

Regarding unusual for African Americans to be apart of normal day in Japan. Well, not any more strange for them to be part of everyday Singapore or Hong Kong. But, you'll still see black people living and working in all of those places. No, they won't be 'normal' like being in New York City. But it isn't like you'll never ever see it in your lifetime. As a person who has spent a lot of time in Singapore, Hong KOng, and Japan; I really feel you'd be most likely to see that in Japan. Japan has a lot of music subcultures and varied interests, so there are scenes very interested in 'black american' culture - i.e. hip-hop clubs. You see a ton of Africans (from Africa the continent) throughout Japan, and many try to tell Japanese that they are actually Jamaicans or Americans, because there is the belief (and kind of true, depending on a person's age), that everyone in Japan loves African American culture and Jamacian culture.

HOwever, in Hong Kong/Singapore, I've never seen those subcultures like that, like I used to regularly see in Japan. BLack people are in HK, but usually again from continent of Africa, and usually doing import/export with African nations. They don't try to act American in Hong kong, because HK (like SG) is more connected to the UK, and they just don't see that interested in american hiphop, as far as I can tell. I can't recall ever seeing black people in Singapore, I"m sure they are there, as you see black people everywhere in the world, but I just can't recall seeing a niche of them.

ALso, in Japan, you have the u.s. military bases, which is another window for japan to see black american culture....and Japan is just geared towards/interested in the u.s. - i.e. the business culture, the love of 'baseball', even basketball as well. Whereas HK/SG, it is more British - i.e. soccer, rugby, etc. THat being said, soccer is huge in Japan as well, etc. etc.

Anyways, I'd focus more on the place you are interested in; rather than concerns about reception in those places. If you are particularly interested in Hong Kong / Singapore, I could probably tell you another 10 reasons why you should be, but from your post so far, it seems that Japan is where you like best, you are just worried about it, because of stereotypes you've read or heard.
Well anywhere I go,like anyone else, I would like to be successful. I put in alot of school hours and work hours to get the skills I want and I don't want it to be wasted because of my foreign status and ethnicity. Again I do appreciate your input. I think I won't have a definitive answer until I actually start traveling and visiting these places. I just wanted to make sure they were worth visiting first. There is a bunch of reasons why I think Japan would be a good for me. I don't share the values of African culture at all. I have nothing in common with them at all. My best friends here were all Asian and white so were my last ex girlfriends. I don't know why I can't connect with Africans like I do with African Americans, the non racist whites and Asians. It's not like I went out looking for those connections it just happened alot unexpectedly. I kind of wanted to move to a country that reflected my relationships in a way. I think your right just have to go for it.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnissangtr View Post
Well anywhere I go,like anyone else, I would like to be successful. I put in alot of school hours and work hours to get the skills I want and I don't want it to be wasted because of my foreign status and ethnicity. Again I do appreciate your input. I think I won't have a definitive answer until I actually start traveling and visiting these places. I just wanted to make sure they were worth visiting first. There is a bunch of reasons why I think Japan would be a good for me. I don't share the values of African culture at all. I have nothing in common with them at all. My best friends here were all Asian and white so were my last ex girlfriends. I don't know why I can't connect with Africans like I do with African Americans, the non racist whites and Asians. It's not like I went out looking for those connections it just happened alot unexpectedly. I kind of wanted to move to a country that reflected my relationships in a way. I think your right just have to go for it.
I understand. Best of luck to you! I can completely understand your situation.

If I were you, you 100% MUST visit, as only at that time, would you really truly know if it is worth it for you.

On paper/internet, there are tons of places I've thought were this way or that way, only to spend some actual time there, and suddenly have a completely different image/experience/reality of that place, sometimes for the much better, sometimes for the much worse.

You'll never really know if Japan is that connection, until you walk in its land, order food in its restaurants, and all the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia