Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well Taiwanese and Singaporeans are more or less of the same race/ethinicity of the Chinese, but you don't see Taiwanese or Singaporean people getting all worked up over the Great Chinese Dream.
I was referring to nationalistic Chinese not all of them. You will also notice a lot of nationalistic people tend to be really racist even if their government didn't inculcate racism against an out group. Again, another sign of tribalism not government indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Always pick a good model

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Considering the UK could have been conquered by Germany if not for the U.S., the UK is not a great example for Japan to be following.
UK would have been a good model for Japan in terms of trade, & maintaining a balance of payments, & managing an empire. Japan had a fleet, & probably could have done well in trade. However, the military came to the forefront domestically, after Japan felt itself cheated (or undervalued) @ the partition of goodies after the Boxer Rebellion & WWI, with the division of Germany's colonies in the Pacific. As the IJA & IJN become more & more radicalized & entrenched in the politics of the national government, they came to believe their own propaganda.

Too, mere trade didn't have much appeal for the quasi-samurai of the IJ military. They had a real disdain for merchants - a kind of traditional class snobbishness, almost Feudal, as far as I can tell. Which is possibly why the IJ military were so enamored of complicated maneuvers, tight timing, ambushes, & so disdainful of logistics & supply.

As for the UK & Germany, as I recall after Dunkirk, Nazi Germany threatened to invade, but never assembled the cross-channel ships & landing craft & invasion troops to do so. Germany lost the air Battle for Britain as well, & lost lots of pilots into the bargain. Germany might have managed an invasion, if Hitler weren't preoccupied with planning for the invasion of the USSR, or had allowed the German army to crush the BEF @ Dunkirk, rather than horsing around with Air Marshall Goering's empty promises.

A rational leader would have let the military handle the details - but then again, it was Hitler's brinkmanship that took Germany to the edge of power, & eventually beyond. In the actual event, UK was safe - or rather, was able to save itself, with allied help - from Commonwealth & other European nations.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:57 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default They don't love us, not a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post

The UK is still successful today and basically runs the developed world simply because it moved its power base from the UK to the USA. Japan cannot exert any worldly influence because it never moved beyond Japan, same pretty much goes for China. Same goes for Germany.
Huh. That is a massive assertion. I've not noticed that UK pulls the strings that make the US dance - nor have many of the leading UK literary lights - Ian Fleming, John le Carré, nor Churchill, Lord Montgomery & so on down the line. The pinnacles of British government & finance & administration seem pretty unanimous - from what I can see - in resenting the US' relative success in WWI & II, without suffering proportionally the economic, population nor material losses that they & the British Commonwealth suffered.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:33 AM

537 posts, read 445,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
basically dethroned China as the dominant power in Asia
Never really controlled......

Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Never really controlled......
true, but it shattered China's position and reputation in Asia. It is also alarming to the Chinese government and people making them realize for the first time China was really falling behind by decades already.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 6,785 times
Quote:
Yes it does. It is disgusting. I can tolerate the lack of democracy with no problem, even the pollution but the lack of free press and brainwashing is unacceptable, and under Xi it is getting worse.
American's political correctness is as good as Chinese censorship. Welcome to this world.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmac View Post
American's political correctness is as good as Chinese censorship. Welcome to this world.
not quite as obvious, but as I often said, the American style brainwashing is subtler and most skillful, but equally strong and effective.

Just look at the overwhelming support of Clinton by the media. It is sickening.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:16 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
not quite as obvious, but as I often said, the American style brainwashing is subtler and most skillful, but equally strong and effective.

Just look at the overwhelming support of Clinton by the media. It is sickening.
Considering who her opponent is, it's pretty natural.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Considering who her opponent is, it's pretty natural.
Trump is coarse and apolitical. That's why he is unpopular among the media.

Among all accusation, I find the label "racist" exceptional hilarious. He is strongly opposed to illegal immigrants and wants them all deported - which is automatically interpreted as being racist, and people seem to support that. I don't understand, if I enter the US illegally and get caught, what will happen? The US government will deport me. Will it be considered racist in doing that? So what's wrong with Trump's proposal?

I don't defend his suggestion to ban all Muslims from entering the country. That's overreaction.

Hilary Clinton's popularity among the Hispanics and black people is mostly confusing, considering she is indeed a racist. She even calls handicapped children "retards". Apparently American media doesn't talk about that much.

Former Bill Clinton Girlfriend: Hillary and Bill are Racists » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

You don't have to believe the story, but it seems it is not the only source.
I guess American people like hypocrites more than the loud mouth jerks. It is not the US politics forum, but I hope the Americans can live with their choice.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:55 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Trump is coarse and apolitical. That's why he is unpopular among the media.

Among all accusation, I find the label "racist" exceptional hilarious. He is strongly opposed to illegal immigrants and wants them all deported - which is automatically interpreted as being racist, and people seem to support that. I don't understand, if I enter the US illegally and get caught, what will happen? The US government will deport me. Will it be considered racist in doing that? So what's wrong with Trump's proposal?

I don't defend his suggestion to ban all Muslims from entering the country. That's overreaction.

Hilary Clinton's popularity among the Hispanics and black people is mostly confusing, considering she is indeed a racist. She even calls handicapped children "retards". Apparently American media doesn't talk about that much.

Former Bill Clinton Girlfriend: Hillary and Bill are Racists » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

You don't have to believe the story, but it seems it is not the only source.
I guess American people like hypocrites more than the loud mouth jerks. It is not the US politics forum, but I hope the Americans can live with their choice.
Maybe Clinton is racist as well, I don't know if that's the case. Let's say she is, it still doesn't make Trump less of a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia