Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that half the Si Lankan Tamil population calls Paris home today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaka74 View Post
I am a Sri Lanka who loves to know each other's cultures. Sri Lanka has a divers culture which is attracted by other nations. Tourists visiting Sri Lanka find it more friendly and peaceful.

However, I want to know how actually the people around the world look at Sri Lanka and what do they think on Sri Lanka's people, culture, society, current political & economic situation.

So, I invite you all to express your honest feelings, ideas, opinions more openly, freely and provide suggestions to improve any area of the above categories or correct our mistakes as a country in the current global scenario.
food is ok but don't like the previous government. It was too pro-china.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,496 times
Yes, of course. It happened at 'Aluvihare in Matale district.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,493 times
A friend visited Sri Lanka a few months ago and stayed for a month touring the country with his students. He found it to be a very beautiful place. And much cleaner than India.

I would like to visit it some day. The problem is too many countries and so little time. Maybe I will do a short hop from India when I am there.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Honestly don't really know anything about it, apart from the black tea and its previous name, Ceylon, is quite pretty in Chinese.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 AM

213 posts, read 227,747 times
I want to go there. It seems like a beautiful country.

I've also got a NYT clipping about a bunch of Sri Lankan restaurants in Staten Island. I want to try them out, but it's hard to convince myself (let alone anyone else) to go, as it's not conveniently located to where I live.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:26 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
It seems to me that half the Si Lankan Tamil population calls Paris home today.
Pondicherry connection. France had a colony called Pondicherry in South India. It became independent in 1954 and the Tamil residents of Pondicherry became eligible for immigrating to France. So a good number of Tamilians settled in Paris. When there was a Civil war in Sri Lanka and Tamils were given Refugee status in France, many Sri Lankan Tamils joined the already established Tamil community of Pondicherry in Paris.

Basically Sri Lankans are of two major groups- Buddhist Sinhalese and Hindu Tamils. Other then that, there is also substantial number of Christians and Muslims too in Sri Lanka.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Miner View Post
At the very young age of my life, I've come to know that Sri Lankan people are well educated. Above 80 or 90 percent of the whole population are not illiterate. So, I subconsciously I always respect Sri Lanka.

Besides, they've got Muttiah Muralitharan, the greatest spinner from the beginning of the world. Not just a spinner, I would say the greatest bowler and the greatest cricketer.
*cough* Shane Warne *cough*

Old 12-19-2016, 05:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_johnson View Post
Sri Lanka is a nice place to visit. I am planning to visit there in next January. Listed a lot of places to go such as Yala National Park, Nuwara Eliya, Temple of the Tooth etc.
I'll be in Sri Lanka a week in late January after visiting in the Maldives. Looking forward to it.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,162 times
Default lovelysrilanka

sri lanka is one of the beautifull country in land,i wish that i visit srilanka with my family.my relatives also lived in srilanka long time ago,...srilankan has friendly behaviour.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia