Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:40 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
filipinos need to go back to their pagan roots. the church, the crown, islam, and communism has not helped them.
Does paganism help you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 04:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does paganism help you?
somewhat

but its mostly the free exchange of ideas

Old 10-22-2016, 05:48 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Singapore is no minion of the US and the Philippines has not been since Marcos left office.

As for SK, if you had a crazy northern neighbor who promises to obliterate your capital city once a month you would also look for the biggest friend you could find.
When someone from Singapore who pay taxes to the govt of Singapore as a citizen not PR says that Singapore is a minion of the US you shouldn't doubt it ..

Old 10-22-2016, 09:44 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hmm how about my country Singapore ? Should US pull out of Singapore too ?
How would it pull out of Singapore? Are you implying there a bunch of U.S. military bases throughout Singapore, like in the philippines, Japan, South Korea, etc.?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How would it pull out of Singapore? Are you implying there a bunch of U.S. military bases throughout Singapore, like in the philippines, Japan, South Korea, etc.?
Ok there isn't a bunch, but there is still some US military in Singapore, like naval ships based in Singapore

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...litary-muscles

also Paya lebar airbase have got US army planes if i am not wrong

Old 10-22-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't even think any of that anymore I just think he truly hates the US. No good will come of that and the Philippines is going to suffer because of it.
That's my take, Duterte just hates the U.S. It's very clear. Nothing else really makes sense, there is no reason to make enemies of your friends/allies, and then pivot and suddenly try to make an ally of someone who is currently trying to steal your islands.

Nothing good can come from that.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is true - Filipinos' positive opinions of America is greater than theirs of China... The latest two approval ratings for the US I was able to find were 85% and 92%. I wasn't able to find any solid number for China, but it is guaranteed to be substantially lower. I can certainly tell you that the Chinese opinion of the Philippines and Filipinos is extremely low.

He was elected primarily on his promises to clean up crime and graft; I don't think many people imagined that he would do something like this. Again, even the others in the Filipino government seem totally blindsided by his tirades, grandstanding, and sudden sucking-up to China. Their military not only relies on the US for hardware and equipment, but also training and intelligence. China has little in the way of regional intelligence since everyone else there hates them, and as far as training go, the PLA is great at doing drills and calesthenics but hasn't seen any meaningful degree of combat in a generation and a half. Chinese companies have no incentive to invest in manufacturing in the Philippines since labor in China is as low or lower; they don't need regional hubs or distribution since they are already in the region... there's not a lot to be gained. Filipinos are the third-highest earning ethnic group in the US; outside of being a nanny (about 3000RMB/$500USD per month), waiter/waitress at an expat bar (2500 RMB/$370USD per month) or a performing musician at bars (about 10k RMB/$1500USD per month), there isn't a ton of work in China for Filipinos.

China may go ahead and start some sort of vanity infrastructure project to celebrate its new partnership with a nation that it was recently defecating on - maybe some help with a metro system for Manila or a consulate in Davao City, Duterte's hometown... oh, wait, they announced that they were doing just that yesterday! Chinese consulate to open in Davao City | mb.com.ph | Philippine News Super! But, what benefit will the average Filipino see from this partnership?

If the government and the people clash, there's a good chance that a significant number of people in the government would side with the people.
Most Filipinos I know, and I know quite a few.....they love BOTH Duterte and the U.S.

But, they love Duterte because of the promises to clean up crime and drugs lords and such.

This anti-U.S. thing is weird....as for the first time in my life, I am suddenly hearing anti-U.S. spiel from Filipinos....I'm a bit concerned that later I will meet Filipinos who later seek to do harm to individual Americans. I think when major politicians start speaking that type of rhetoric it gives some of the lower life types reason to act out viciously against those same people.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Ok there isn't a bunch, but there is still some US military in Singapore, like naval ships based in Singapore

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...litary-muscles

also Paya lebar airbase have got US army planes if i am not wrong
I think symbolically they are there to say that the U.S. supports the existence of Singapore's right to exist...as I think the entire reason Singapore has its own citizens serve in its military is to defend that right, in case neighbors decide otherwise.

I can't imagine Singapore would demand the U.S. to not symbolize its support.

This is an interesting thought though...if the U.S. did not exist...I wonder if Malaysia and China would go to war over having sovereignty of that little red dot of pure money. I imagine they would. But, of course, that is completely inconceivable with the U.S. existence preventing that type of debate from even being contemplated by other larger nation-states.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:33 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
This anti-U.S. thing is weird....as for the first time in my life, I am suddenly hearing anti-U.S. spiel from Filipinos....I'm a bit concerned that later I will meet Filipinos who later seek to do harm to individual Americans. I think when major politicians start speaking that type of rhetoric it gives some of the lower life types reason to act out viciously against those same people.
Yeah I think it's just the lower life thugs that don't know any better. We have the same problem in the US when certain types of riots break out. The ordinary, average, upstanding Filipino citizen isn't anti-US at all as far as I know. Quite the opposite. It's all definitely Duterte inspired but it seems like he's already toning down his crazy statements maybe, hopefully!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Most Filipinos I know, and I know quite a few.....they love BOTH Duterte and the U.S.

But, they love Duterte because of the promises to clean up crime and drugs lords and such.

I agee with your entire post. I was and am still thinking of taking a vacation with wife and possibly grandkids to Phils in january but I worry both about Duterte's rhetoric sparking violence against Americans as well as the killing of drug dealers could cause you to innocently get killed. Now thinking Thailand or Vietnam might be safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia