Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times

Advertisements

Sorry but domestic tourism does not gather you as much of a reputation worldwide as international tourism. I don't expect foreigners to know about Myrtle Beach or Cape Cod, and you can't expect that most foreigners will know about Hangzhou. You certainly cannot expect that most of them would choose to visit Hangzhou over Bangkok or Tokyo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,936 times
we are not comparing international recognition.
We are talking about a city's wealth. a domestic tourist can yield the same economic benefit to a city as an international tourist.

I understand that many top Chinese cities are not well known abroad. But there is no denying that these top cities are economic powerhouses that surpass many of those world famous cities in the west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Sorry but domestic tourism does not gather you as much of a reputation worldwide as international tourism. I don't expect foreigners to know about Myrtle Beach or Cape Cod, and you can't expect that most foreigners will know about Hangzhou. You certainly cannot expect that most of them would choose to visit Hangzhou over Bangkok or Tokyo

Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
we are not comparing international recognition.
We are talking about a city's wealth. a domestic tourist can yield the same economic benefit to a city as an international tourist.

I understand that many top Chinese cities are not well known abroad. But there is no denying that these top cities are economic powerhouses that surpass many of those world famous cities in the west
Having billionaires can be a sign of economic vibrancy, but it is also a sign of wealth inequality (a major issue in both China and the USA). Hangzhou has a small GDP for its population. There are at least seven to ten cities/metros in the US alone that qualify as economic powerhouses before Hangzhou.

Quote:
I don't know who would pronounce Taipei. In Mandarin, it is pronounced Taibei.
English isn't written like it is pronounced, at least not as strictly as, say, Korean. It draws a lot from conventions, historic spelling, and roots. Taipei is, because of those, the correct spelling for the city in English (the language you are using on this forum).

Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
by your method, a visitor from Shenzhen, which is less than 20 miles away to HK counts as international tourist, but a visitor from Shanghai, more than 100 miles away, to Hangzhou does not count as tourist.

How strange is that
No i don't count visitors from Shenzhen to Hong Kong as tourists since Hong Kong is not completely independent from China.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
But most international tourists in Thailand are from China.

We are talking about wealth for cities. Hangzhou is much more wealthy city than Bangkok. Why do you have a problem with that
Only in the last 5 years but at least they are international tourists.

I never claimed Bangkok is more wealthy than Hangzhou and i don't have a problem with that but you brought up the ridiculous inflated tourist numbers of Hangzhou and i replied with nothing else than the truth.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Having billionaires can be a sign of economic vibrancy, but it is also a sign of wealth inequality (a major issue in both China and the USA). Hangzhou has a small GDP for its population. There are at least seven to ten cities/metros in the US alone that qualify as economic powerhouses before Hangzhou.
100% agree with this but like i said before the average Chinese in general is a lot more selfish than most other nationalities (no offense but its true), how many billionaires like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg in China do you see making huge donations.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 PM

A tourist is a tourist. No matter if they are from the same country or not. The number is not inflated as you claimed

If you are talking about international tourism, it is another story

How the hell can you tell if a tourist in NYC is from LA or from Canada? How much difference does it make?

It is still a tourist. You may call them domestic tourist or international tourist, but still tourist. Check tourist definition in your dictionary. My goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Only in the last 5 years but at least they are international tourists.

I never claimed Bangkok is more wealthy than Hangzhou and i don't have a problem with that but you brought up the ridiculous inflated tourist numbers of Hangzhou and i replied with nothing else than the truth.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Hangzhou has a small GDP for the population? its per capita GDP is around $20000, which is on par with South Korea or Taiwan. And you know the GDP number will be much higher if we are talking about purchasing parity

Its living standards are not lower than any of those famous global cities in the west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

English isn't written like it is pronounced, at least not as strictly as, say, Korean. It draws a lot from conventions, historic spelling, and roots. Taipei is, because of those, the correct spelling for the city in English (the language you are using on this forum).

Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
How the hell can you tell if a tourist in NYC is from LA or from Canada? How much difference does it make?

It is still a tourist. You may call them domestic tourist or international tourist, but still tourist. Check tourist definition in your dictionary. My goodness
Well i never head a person from LA end their sentences with Eh plus the Canadian has to cross a border where the person from LA doesn't.

You really don't get that domestic tourists are less important for a country than international tourists?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:55 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Hangzhou has a small GDP for the population? its per capita GDP is around $20000, which is on par with South Korea or Taiwan. And you know the GDP number will be much higher if we are talking about purchasing parity

Its living standards are not lower than any of those famous global cities in the west
You are being pretty generous with your rounding and I feel like you are doing it on purpose to push a view. You have to remember, South Korea and Taiwan, in terms of nominal, are on the very low end for developed nations and I don't consider them very wealthy either. That aside, you are comparing an urban area to two countries with both urban areas and rural areas.

Regardless of that, I will bite. Nominal, GDP per capita in Hangzhou is just under twenty thousand. It is just over twenty seven thousand in South Korea and just under twenty five thousand in Taiwan, meaning the numbers are over 50% higher in South Korea and over 33% higher in Taiwan. Countries, which I will repeat, are on the low end for a developed nation. In purchasing parity, China does very well as closing the gap, but Hangzhou remains behind South Korea and Taiwan, as well as nearly all developed nations outside of Southern and Eastern Europe (although they don't all qualify as developed to begin with).

On top of all those things is China's insane income inequality, which is notably higher than that of most developed nations, exception being the USA, which has inequality almost on par with China. The main difference there being that the mean point is much higher in the USA than China, regardless of whether the numbers (GDP or income) are adjusted for differences in costs. Dealing mostly with the US, I am used to numbers in the 30's to 50's, not 10's and 20's.

Look, I completely agree with you that many "Westerners" underestimate the importance and strength of China's secondary cities (the same happens with the USA's secondary cities from European's POV, though not to the same extent), but I do believe that you are fooling yourself if you believe that the average person in Hangzhou has equivalent or better living standards as an average person in the famous global cities of the West. Unless you are including maybe Eastern Europe and Latin America as part of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia