Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 06:26 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times

Advertisements

201 of 247 seats declared as of the time of reporting with a 71% turnout. Among others, Junius Ho, the controversial pro-Beijing lawmaker who was seen shaking hands with the white-shirt triads whose violence was arguably the first major escalation in what has led to the full-scale riots, was voted out by his constituents who many in the pro-BJ camp had previously said represented the "real Hong Kongers" in the New Territories.

I don't think Beijing is gonna be happy about this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...FbHZbpBHNt2RoI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,452,657 times
In b4 Camlon the Scandinavian wumao chiming in with his BS violent protester theories.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:04 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In b4 Camlon the Scandinavian wumao chiming in with his BS violent protester theories.

never trust a communist!

Old 11-24-2019, 07:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
I always supported the pro-democracy camp. One of the first good news from HK, although quite expected.

If this had been combined with peaceful protests I would be very hopeful for HK future. Now I know it will end in failure, because soon the violence will return and the economy will keep collapsing. Beijing do not need to do anything, just wait it out while those new local lawmakers fail to get the five demands or fix the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lol, someone is mad.

You are the user who said you would not care if millions of chinese got massacred. You also said you hope China revert to communism so the economy collapse. I bet this is only the tip of the iceberg of your hate towards Chinese, so I called you out, and you got mad. Not because I am the most pro-China user, but because you expect someone like me to agree with your promotion of violence, bigotry and hate.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-24-2019 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

never trust a communist!
This user also said he would be happy if China reverted to communism so the economy collapsed. Why, because that would make America win.

This thread could have been celebreating the results, instead it was taken over by china-haters from post #1. Good job destroying your own thread.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-24-2019 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 07:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
We still remember your massacre chinese and hope China collapse economically comments. As a taiwanese hating chinese, you are driven hate, and not what is best for HK. You also hate me, not because I am the most pro-China user, but because you expect someone like me to agree with your promotion of violence and hate.

I always supported the pro-democracy camp, so this is good to see. If this had been combined with peaceful protests I would be very hopeful for HK future. Now I know it will end in failure, because soon the violence will return and the economy will keep collapsing.

Beijing do not need to do anything, just wait it out while those new local lawmakers fail to get the five demands or fix the economy.
The offices are for local district elections. They're akin to being a city council representative, and their concerns would be about really local matters such as public services such as refuse disposal, streets maintenance, etc. So their portfolio isn't going to be about the five demands or economic policies.

That said, these district reps will have a bit of influence on bigger political questions (though not a lot) - such as being represented up to 117 of the 1200 reps who get to vote on the next Chief Executive.

It is also a clear political message sent to the current government about the popular sentiment in Hong Kong. That's on Carrie Lam and her folks to heed or ignore, with possible consequences.

And, consider long term effects - these district council offices can be a springboard for other political offices in the future. I'd expect some of these folks to run for Legco (Legislative Council) later.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Not surprising to me. Most of the young generation say they are not Chinese.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The offices are for local district elections. They're akin to being a city council representative, and their concerns would be about really local matters such as public services such as refuse disposal, streets maintenance, etc. So their portfolio isn't going to be about the five demands or economic policies.

That said, these district reps will have a bit of influence on bigger political questions (though not a lot) - such as being represented up to 117 of the 1200 reps who get to vote on the next Chief Executive.

It is also a clear political message sent to the current government about the popular sentiment in Hong Kong. That's on Carrie Lam and her folks to heed or ignore, with possible consequences.

And, consider long term effects - these district council offices can be a springboard for other political offices in the future. I'd expect some of these folks to run for Legco (Legislative Council) later.
Just want to point something out, the democracy candidates did not do that well. They pro-beijing camp got 41% of the vote which is about the same as the 2016 legco elections. The support for the goals of the protestors is definitely more than 60%, so in a way the pro-democracy camp underperformed. We already knew that the HK people support real democracy in Hong Kong, so this election does not say anything new.

The question is not if the goals of the protests have popular support, but how do HK get it. Through violence like Greysholic wants, or through peaceful protests like I want.

The problem for the violent protestors is that Carrie Lam is not the one who decide over HK future, Beijing does. They have no reason to give in, unless it benefits them. Violence just makes it less likely for HK people to get what they want, and it makes it much more likely that China will just give up on HK and let it fade into irrelevance.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-24-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 08:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not surprising to me. Most of the young generation say they are not Chinese.
It was a 71% turnout so it wasn't only young people voting.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It was a 71% turnout so it wasn't only young people voting.
Other adults have the same tendency. According to a survey carried by HKU this year, only 23% Hong Kong residents consider themselves Chinese.
https://www.voachinese.com/a/poll-ho...7/4977315.html

The reason is complex, some big others small.
For example, young people in Hong Kong do not watch mainland TV shows due to language barrier. Their textbooks do not contain much patriotism content (but only about Hong Kong)... and of course the politics of China...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia