Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Shanghai 10 33.33%
Taipei 20 66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2017, 05:59 PM

503 posts, read 597,803 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities do you like more/prefer and why?

Also, which one is more cosmopolitan?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Both are crap, but Shanghai is worse.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Do you think Taipei is crap? I think almost anything on Taiwan would be better than anything in the PRC.

OP, a more market-oriented economy (though the PRC has certainly made big strides in that direction) is bound to be more comfortable. I imagine there's less air pollution on Taiwan--no need to wear masks, no coal pollution. The scenery is gorgeous! There's probably better access to medicines and decent-quality healthcare, dental services, and so forth. The food is said to be the best Chinese food in Asia. But Shanghai would be one of the better choices, if you had to do the PRC.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you think Taipei is crap? I think almost anything on Taiwan would be better than anything in the PRC.

OP, a more market-oriented economy (though the PRC has certainly made big strides in that direction) is bound to be more comfortable. I imagine there's less air pollution on Taiwan--no need to wear masks, no coal pollution. The scenery is gorgeous! There's probably better access to medicines and decent-quality healthcare, dental services, and so forth. The food is said to be the best Chinese food in Asia. But Shanghai would be one of the better choices, if you had to do the PRC.
True, but that says more about China. It's like the difference between a C- and a big F.

Air pollution could be quite bad in winter at times, it's usually ok in Taipei but the wind would often bring the nasty **** from the north of China and you'd want to wear a mask, though lots of people in Taipei wear masks all the time for convenience, not wanting to smile or talk etc. (learned that from Japan lol).

Shanghai has a lot more job opportunities though, I don't think anyone would dispute that. It remains a mystery how long the prosperity is going to last but for now, it's a lot better for professionals.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
True, but that says more about China. It's like the difference between a C- and a big F.

Air pollution could be quite bad in winter at times, it's usually ok in Taipei but the wind would often bring the nasty **** from the north of China and you'd want to wear a mask, though lots of people in Taipei wear masks all the time for convenience, not wanting to smile or talk etc. (learned that from Japan lol).
It's not a friendly population? The aboriginal people are different, I can tell you that. The younger people are very friendly. To foreigners, anyway.

Yeah, I guess Shanghai has adapted itself for foreign business, and therefore, for foreigners. The OP will probably be fine whichever he chooses of the two.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not a friendly population? The aboriginal people are different, I can tell you that. The younger people are very friendly. To foreigners, anyway.
I think it's more shyness than anything, and it's not everyone, just not uncommon.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Shanghai is much bigger than Taipei, and thus more opportunities. But do you like very big cities? Many Americans told me they hate NYC.

Climate wise, Shanghai has four distinct seasons and Taipei basically has two (mild season and hot season). Most Westerners seem to prefer warm places. Pollution in Shanghai is an issue, but it's severe only a few days in a year, mostly in winter.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Shanghai is much bigger than Taipei, and thus more opportunities. But do you like very big cities? Many Americans told me they hate NYC.

Climate wise, Shanghai has four distinct seasons and Taipei basically has two (mild season and hot season). Most Westerners seem to prefer warm places. Pollution in Shanghai is an issue, but it's severe only a few days in a year, mostly in winter.
You must set the bar of severity extremely high. Do you have a filter installed in your lungs?

I'd say that the pollution is severe in Taipei for several weeks per year and several months per year in the south. I guess Shanghai is like Canada then.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You must set the bar of severity extremely high. Do you have a filter installed in your lungs?

I'd say that the pollution is severe in Taipei for several weeks per year and several months per year in the south. I guess Shanghai is like Canada then.
Shanghai is not Beijing. It's not particularly polluted compared to other major cities in China. All major Asian cities have worse air qualities than North American cities (in terms of PM 2.5, for example). So yes I talk about different meanings of "severe".

Old 05-30-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Shanghai is not Beijing. It's not particularly polluted compared to other major cities in China. All major Asian cities have worse air qualities than North American cities (in terms of PM 2.5, for example). So yes I talk about different meanings of "severe".
That's because Chinese cities are too polluted.

Shanghai's air pollution is extremely dangerous, even by Asian standard. I suppose by severe you mean "not being able to see anything", but by normal standard "severe" would mean unclear sky, aka orange level.

Besides, air pollution is just one of the many aspects. There's also food contamination, water pollution, soil pollution, and garbage pollution, just to name a few. All in all, Taiwan sucks I these regards, and China is a million times worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia